Pictus Gecko x Leopard Gecko - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 04-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Gold Star Member
Default Pictus Gecko x Leopard Gecko

Yes... You read the title correctly.
Not sure why anyone would want to hybridise these two species.
I've never been for or against captive hybridisation, always kept pretty neutral views on it.
However this attempt really has me baffled!

I've blanked out the breeders name for obvious reasons.
He is claiming he got viable eggs incubated them but an incubator fault failed all incubating eggs including these.
There are also photos of these "hybrid" embryos cut open, revealing an almost fully formed gecko. Problem is, its still in the sac so it makes it very difficult to determine what it looks like.

At the bottom is the link to this photo. Only click if you are okay to see a dead gecko embryo.

Thoughts?

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...86652597_n.jpg

MY BIGGEST WORRY IS THAT WHEN I DIE, MY MISSUS WILL SELL MY "TOY'S" AND REPTILES FOR WHAT I SAID I PAID FOR THEM.

Like my Facebook Page to keep up to date with availability and projects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to damien1010

could be....intresting , they would be pretty funky looking butt again, is it ethical? pros and cons plus possible health issues with the offspring . who knows, not gonna lie i would like to know what a healthy hatchling would look like
Old 04-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien1010 View Post
could be....intresting , they would be pretty funky looking butt again, is it ethical? pros and cons plus possible health issues with the offspring . who knows, not gonna lie i would like to know what a healthy hatchling would look like
i find it very interesting to see what 2 species crossed looks like and it also brings new species into the world BUT!!!!!!!!!! when it gose overboard and u end up with no original pure species its not funny so it should be controled
Bombina bombina
Bombina maxima
Bombina orientalis
Bombina variegata
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 2

I know Who this picture belongs to, I'm neutral on hybridism, but not my cup of tea.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Premier Member

It's because Pictus Geckos will shag anything!

I wish he'd split the egg sack open so we could have a "proper" look!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 20

No idea why but im not bothered by them to be honest but i really like chahou/crestie hybrids apart from thaat nothing really grabs me but in snakes i like charpondros.

I upload photos etc first here before they are on the forum, also it is easier to contact me there as i am on there more than on the forum. You will also get to see the babies for sale before the whole forum does so it is worth your while!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 12
Smile

I thought only animals within the same genus could hybrid, and that it's not always successful and sometimes impossible? Does this mean if a Leopard Gecko did successfully produce young with a Pictus Gecko would it have to be reclassified?
Like others have said, I am kind of neutral when it comes to hybridization, as long as it isn't done on mass or posses possible harm to the embryos (as in most will be born deformed).

Also as the rule goes, no pics, didn't happen. As the picture isn't clear enough I would say it didn't happen.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Forum Citizen

very interesting not my thing but thank's you for putting this up sam allway's nice to see what people are getting upto
Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 PM

[QUOTE=sam12345;9479170]Yes... .
He is claiming he got viable eggs incubated them but an incubator fault failed all incubating eggs including these.
There are also photos of these "hybrid" embryos cut open, revealing an almost fully formed gecko. Problem is, its still in the sac so it makes it very difficult to determine what it looks like.

Thoughts?

I wonder if they really didnt hatch because the Genera are too different,rather than an incubator failure?

I wouldn`t think that the young would be fertile anyway.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Ultra Citizen

[QUOTE=colinm;9481549]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam12345 View Post
Yes... .

Thoughts?

I wonder if they really didnt hatch because the Genera are too different,rather than an incubator failure?

I wouldn`t think that the young would be fertile anyway.

They wouldnt be fertile as the chromosone count would be unequal (chromosones are in pairs, thus equal)

this is the reason when a donkey is mated with a horse a mule is produced, and due to it have an odd chromosone count it is infertile
1.0.2 African Fat tail geckos
0.2.0 Sugar Gliders