Repashy super pig... - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 06-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinm View Post
that one was for Slurm
thx, it might be why the new repashy mix is most not eaten by my lot.I dont think repashy is as popular as it was back in the old days of 2 part mix.
most of mine prefer clarkes and i do like the extra calcium it has.

I dont mind what colours my cresties are, i like variety and changing them all temporarily a bit more orangey is not worth the risk and effort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Gold Star Member

I think considering its from the repashy range, a guy with a BIG reputation in the Rhacodactylus world, I cant imagine it being harmful at all. I will agree though that its completely unnecessary, what next? geckos gone under the knife? :p lets hope not ehy!
I think it is a pretty silly and useless thing to be feeding your animals and i deffinetly wouldnt use it! they dont NEED it so I wouldnt use it.
Lets be realistic Mr Repashy has earned his fortune through the repashy "super" foods and probably likes the taste of it.........so then came super pig! money money mooooney.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 7

I used to use clarks, my geckos love it but I won a pot of repashy in a competition and my geckos seem to be eating that ok. Its just as good, if not better and easier to get hold of. If it already contains a bit of super pig, not sure I'll bother buying it seperatly.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy B Bunny View Post
I used to use clarks, my geckos love it but I won a pot of repashy in a competition and my geckos seem to be eating that ok. Its just as good, if not better and easier to get hold of. If it already contains a bit of super pig, not sure I'll bother buying it seperatly.
I havent used the clarks stuff so i cant really comment on it but i think reptiles are beutifully coloured anyway especially cresties so why enhance it? In my own opinion if i wanted to enhance my animals colouration I'd add a UVB tube, not food supplements.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Hatchling

Hey Everyone,

Someone pointed me to this thread so I thought I would weigh in and try to set everyone straight about my product.

SuperPig is a product that consists of natural ingredients that are high in carotenoids. I think anyone that thinks this is just going to color up anything un naturally, really should take some time and research what carotenoids are. In short, they are many things, precursors to vitamin A, antioxidants, contributors to eye health, cancer fighters...... Anyone ever heard of beta-carotene, Lutein, Lycopene ?.... all of these are carotenoids sold as human supplements.

Carotenoids are abundant in nature and a variety of insects are full of them. Crickets and mealworms however, have next to zero, and are 90% of what most people feed in captivity.

SuperPig has been an ingredient in my gecko diet since the first day I made it, some 15 years ago, so it is nothing new. I packaged it as a separate product about three or four years ago as a response to customer demand, specifically dendrobates breeders.

Carotenoids in my products (as superpig) are there at levels that would normally be found in a natural varied diet. They are not dies, they do not falsely color animals, the just let them have the colors they would in nature. Ever notice why so many herps and amphibians in captivity look dull compared to those in nature..... lack of caroteniods in their diet.

Flamingos are pink because of the carotenoids in their diet. If they are not supplemented carotenoids in captivity, because they can't reproduce their natural diet, they will be snow white.... So keepers use superpig to return this natural color in Zoos around the world..... what is more natural? a White Flamingo, or one fed supplemental carotenoids to replace the dietary carotenoids they can't provide (the flamingos get them from eating heaps of tiny crustaceans.

I am the only manufacturer that has taken the time to source out so many natural ingredients that are high in carotenoids to balance out my products, and it is one of the things I am most proud of. I work like no one else researching and developing products that work. I would like to think I have built up a little trust in the community when it comes to choosing ingredients in the best interest of the animals.

Just because you don't know what something is, doesn't mean you should be afraid of it, it means you should take the time to do some research if it concerns you. If you don't know about something, it isn't fair that you just put up a flag and say it must be bad. The internet is full of resources and anyone who cares enough to do some research, could find all the answers they are looking for.

Cheers, Allen Repashy
Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 7

Thank you for that reply
How much would you reccomend using mixed with repashy original complete and how often?
Can I mix it just with water to gut load insects to feed to my frogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Repashy View Post
Hey Everyone,

Someone pointed me to this thread so I thought I would weigh in and try to set everyone straight about my product.

SuperPig is a product that consists of natural ingredients that are high in carotenoids. I think anyone that thinks this is just going to color up anything un naturally, really should take some time and research what carotenoids are. In short, they are many things, precursors to vitamin A, antioxidants, contributors to eye health, cancer fighters...... Anyone ever heard of beta-carotene, Lutein, Lycopene ?.... all of these are carotenoids sold as human supplements.

Carotenoids are abundant in nature and a variety of insects are full of them. Crickets and mealworms however, have next to zero, and are 90% of what most people feed in captivity.

SuperPig has been an ingredient in my gecko diet since the first day I made it, some 15 years ago, so it is nothing new. I packaged it as a separate product about three or four years ago as a response to customer demand, specifically dendrobates breeders.

Carotenoids in my products (as superpig) are there at levels that would normally be found in a natural varied diet. They are not dies, they do not falsely color animals, the just let them have the colors they would in nature. Ever notice why so many herps and amphibians in captivity look dull compared to those in nature..... lack of caroteniods in their diet.

Flamingos are pink because of the carotenoids in their diet. If they are not supplemented carotenoids in captivity, because they can't reproduce their natural diet, they will be snow white.... So keepers use superpig to return this natural color in Zoos around the world..... what is more natural? a White Flamingo, or one fed supplemental carotenoids to replace the dietary carotenoids they can't provide (the flamingos get them from eating heaps of tiny crustaceans.

I am the only manufacturer that has taken the time to source out so many natural ingredients that are high in carotenoids to balance out my products, and it is one of the things I am most proud of. I work like no one else researching and developing products that work. I would like to think I have built up a little trust in the community when it comes to choosing ingredients in the best interest of the animals.

Just because you don't know what something is, doesn't mean you should be afraid of it, it means you should take the time to do some research if it concerns you. If you don't know about something, it isn't fair that you just put up a flag and say it must be bad. The internet is full of resources and anyone who cares enough to do some research, could find all the answers they are looking for.

Cheers, Allen Repashy
Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Repashy View Post
Hey Everyone,

Cheers, Allen Repashy
Very interesting i may purchase some at some point in the near future as it does intrigue me, but how does it actually work. Does it alter genes in any way or is it purely a phenic thing so it only alters looks and no genetics and if so how does it do this?

I upload photos etc first here before they are on the forum, also it is easier to contact me there as i am on there more than on the forum. You will also get to see the babies for sale before the whole forum does so it is worth your while!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Crestie Chris

Thanks for taking the time to reply Allen, would you mind me asking a couple of questions about using Superpig? (abbreviated to SP)

Firstly, what would you recommend is the best way of providing it with livefood? I'm currently using ICB which (to my understanding contains 6% SP anyway), is it possible to provide SP along with their gutload? Or are most not utilised that way?

Secondly, what is your recommendation in providing higher doses occasionally? (i.e. percentages etc,.)

Thanks,

Chris
Old 06-01-2012, 11:01 PM

I have a question.Is the SuperPig suitable for Phelsuma and will it bring out the reds in species like borbonica and inexpectata?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 PM

Years ago I used Carophyll Red, a product that is used in the diet of canaries, to redden up some Fire Bellied Toads.They turned bright red,redder than wild ones.All that I simply did was feed it to the crickets.I have since tried this with Phelsuma but it didn`t work.