crested gecko temp - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 13-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by STReptiles View Post
32!!!! that is way to high! tops it should be is 28C

Who needs to research?
Maybe you should try it before posting sarcastic comments. A reptiles behaviour is the best indication as to what it wants/needs/is harming it not just going along with what everyone else does and reading care sheets full of the same regurgitated text and phrases someone, somewhere once wrote.

How many people have lost a crestie, in a properly set up habitat, with an appropriate temperature gradient, because the max temperature crept above the mystical (an apparently lethal) 28C? Probably no-one - because it's a load of rubbish!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antcherry88 View Post
30/32 isn't too high for them. It is if it's a constant temperature i.e. no gradient, of course. But as long as there's a cooler area to retreat to it's fine.

My crestie spends 10+ hours a day sitting under a basking spot of 32C. If it was too hot it would move! Judging by this behaviour you'd think it wants it even hotter. If any other lizard species spent a solid 10 hours basking you'd up the temps.

I don't know why people treat crested geckos differently from any other reptile? They need a temperature gradient to thermoregulate and they like to bask under a lamp. The same as nearly every other commonly kept lizard.
Don't worry, I'm with you mate.
As long as they have a cool side in which to retreat into and a wide thermal gradient with a range of temperatures they can chose in which to bask at it won't cause stress or death.
All reptiles need a thermal gradient to warm up otherwise they cannot function and will die.
Old 13-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Of course they need a gradient...

If your happy at keeping them at that degree then carry on but all it does is stress them.

Crested geckos are nocturnal so therefore they do not bask, even when they sleep, they may be visible in the day but they are not basking.
Youll probably find its sleeping for ten hours not basking.
Isn't it embarrassing telling someone to do more research and then you not doing the same thing :\?
A number of people have said they have found their 'nocturnal' geckos move in and out of basking area all the time through the day.
Search for GlasgowGecko and read his threads about appropriate heating for nocturnal geckos, you'll be surprised that the ones supplied with thermal gradients grew faster than those without.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Super Citizen

Quote:
Of course they need a gradient...

If your happy at keeping them at that degree then carry on but all it does is stress them.
If it was stressed it would move! There's plenty of other (almost identical) and cooler spots it could sleep/bask/dance around/whatever if it wanted to if it chose to. The fact it returns their day after day, for hours upon end, suggests it's doing it no harm at all.
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Maybe you should try it before posting sarcastic comments. A reptiles behaviour is the best indication as to what it wants/needs/is harming it not just going along with what everyone else does and reading care sheets full of the same regurgitated text and phrases someone, somewhere once wrote.

How many people have lost a crestie, in a properly set up habitat, with an appropriate temperature gradient, because the max temperature crept above the mystical (an apparently lethal) 28C? Probably no-one - because it's a load of rubbish!
Get off your horse!

Its the same old regurgitated text because that regurgitated text is the result of years of keeping and breeding. Going against what everyone else does is going to get results?

Its not that mystical...its 28C because keepers have found that at around that temp crested geckos are more comfortable and more productive, they feed better and breed better. Do yours breed at 32C? I'd imagine not and if so then probably not as readily as a crested gecko kept cooler. In the wild they spend most their time in low forest and bushes out of sunlight...where it is cooler, on the forest floor area.
Old 13-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Gold Star Member

And where did i say they dont need a gradient chris? i didnt and tbh thats an insult to me.
Old 13-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Get off your horse!

Its the same old regurgitated text because that regurgitated text is the result of years of keeping and breeding. Going against what everyone else does is going to get results?

Its not that mystical...its 28C because keepers have found that at around that temp crested geckos are more comfortable and more productive, they feed better and breed better. Do yours breed at 32C? I'd imagine not and if so then probably not as readily as a crested gecko kept cooler. In the wild they spend most their time in low forest and bushes out of sunlight...where it is cooler, on the forest floor area.
Your information is out of date.
Yes if it's above 28 degrees they will become stressed and if it's an extended period of time they probably will die. But as the other poster stated, he provides a cool spot of 22-24 degrees in which they can retreat. It commonly goes above 30 degrees in new caledonia where they're wild.....
And you will find they breed better provided with a thermal gradient of 32 and cool end of 22-24 :\
Old 13-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
If it was stressed it would move! There's plenty of other (almost identical) and cooler spots it could sleep/bask/dance around/whatever if it wanted to if it chose to. The fact it returns their day after day, for hours upon end, suggests it's doing it no harm at all.
Like i said if your happy, carry on, dont get all "im crestie god" about it!

I know whats good for mine thats all i need to worry about.
Old 13-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
If you got 32C on busking spot what the temp on cool end?
Old 13-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Gold Star Member

LOL i never said they dont need a gradient