crested gecko temp - Page 9 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 13-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meko View Post
Actually you can just see it on here

You can see the ceramic dome on top and the probe is about 10 inches under it... obviously though the temperature is going to be higher close to the ceramic but it just seems strange that it drops quite a lot.
That's a nice set-up. Is there another smaller tank inside it or is that a reflection?

That tank is a lot bigger than mine so you probably do need a higher wattage. Mine's only 45x45x60 cm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Banned

There is indeed although I swapped it for a smaller one today. It's got an 18x12x12 fish tank in that's going to have neons in.
the one that was was a bit too big so not a lot of floor space was left in the viv but I put it in with a bit of water to see if they could get in and out ok. There's a big arsed root in there, a couple of sticks and even a budgie ladder just in case.. I did actually see one using the ladder to climb out as well!!

The heater in the tank has a guard on it so there's no problem with cresties getting burnt and there's a filter as well. I've got an exo-terra waterfall so I might see if i can use the pump and some tubing to make a waterfall from the fish tank as well.

The initial lower level water, tests worked ok but if there's any problems it won't be too hard to take it out.

The tank itself cost £100 off eBay, came with the cabinet it's on, all the interior, 2 ceramics and domes, couple of heat mats and other bits, mat stat and a 2x1x1 glass viv that they used for live food.... It's 40x40x16 so a bit of a bargain.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Super Citizen

That is a bargain!

Do the cresties swim? They'll probably start eating your fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Banned

I had a quick scoot about and they don't eat fish from what I could find...

can they swim? good question!! one of my dogs has a habit of waking me up at about 3am, pretending she needs a wee but she just wants to stand and look at the cresties. So the first night I had the tank in, she made me come downstairs and I had a quick look and shit myself! One was just floating in the water face down; so obviously I thought that a swimming pool was a bad idea.
I gave him / her a nudge (like you do when you think something is dead), and it just swam off and climbed out.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meko View Post
I had a quick scoot about and they don't eat fish from what I could find...

can they swim? good question!! one of my dogs has a habit of waking me up at about 3am, pretending she needs a wee but she just wants to stand and look at the cresties. So the first night I had the tank in, she made me come downstairs and I had a quick look and shit myself! One was just floating in the water face down; so obviously I thought that a swimming pool was a bad idea.
I gave him / her a nudge (like you do when you think something is dead), and it just swam off and climbed out.
This made me chuckle. My bearded dragon does this in the bath. Puts its head almost under the water and floats like its dead. I read somewhere it means they're relaxed. Don't know how true that is.

You should get some of those Garra Rufa fish they use in foot spas then your crestie could have a lizard spa while its laying face down.

Although they might not eat fish mine attacks pretty much anything that moves and thinks it could fit down its throat.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Banned

sounds tempting... although I'd struggle to get my feet in there so they can bugger off if they think they're getting the treatment while I miss out.
Old 14-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Ultra Citizen

I really like the look of that viv set-up, similar to mine but I had to settle for a viv-exotic and seal the hell out of it.
Cresties can swim - I guess in a rainforrest environment there could be a need for it - theres a youtube video of both youngsters and adults swimming which was posted by Ladybird - they kind of just 'float' on the water, pretty impressive
Can Crested Geckos Swim? - YouTube
Meko likes this.

Last edited by UKCrestie; 14-01-2012 at 02:04 AM..