Crested Gecko and wooden vivarium? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 27-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Regular
Default Crested Gecko and wooden vivarium?

I have made a mini rack and would like to build a viv in the compartment that is on the left hand side. What modifications would be needed to make this space suitable for a crested gecko?

the space is 600H x 450W x 450D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Super Regular

you will want to get a back !! hahah. youl also want to get some yacht varish as its very strong and water ressistant then you'll want a fair bit of ventalation. also because of where it is you may want to fit a standard house light either inside or on the out side of the mesh on the back. you could either do that or look on ebay for waterproo led strip lighting and fit them inside the cage. the doors should be straight foward but youl want a 4 inch peice at the bottom to hold the substrate in
hope i helped,
sam
Old 27-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Super Regular

i was told crestys are better off in glass vivs rather than wood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Ultra Citizen

Seal all internal and external joins with aquarium sealant. I also sealed my wooden viv with G4? sealant which locks-out moisture - I did 4 coats and no problems so far.
If you could get 4inches of mesh into the front of the viv, or alternatively core holes to make a square foot mesh on the left side that should be sufficient.
I also used plastic storage boxes like you have in the picture on the bottom of the viv to hold the substrate, meaning no moisture leaks out.
Its definately do-able with a wooden if you plan it
Old 28-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Regular

Thanks for all the replys guys!

Thinking of putting a few vents in the back and the side, it does already have a solid conti-board back just in the box bit.

So things i need to do:

Ventilation (solved)
Lighting (will install a light bulb with appropriate caging)
Back (solved)

Another question would be heating, it does drop to around 12 c at night sometimes due to living in an old house (not best insulated haha )

How would i go around heating that all day and night? Of course it would be statted but what source of heat?

Many thanks,
Old 29-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Regular

anyonee?
Old 29-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Super Regular

heat mat is probably the best for that are and just stick it to the back on the outside of the wood and aslong as its not stupi thick wood it will be fine ;D
Old 30-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Regular

Thanks for the reply, the wood is 18mm thick so unsure if the heat will conduct through that

SOMEONE must heat a wooden viv for cresties!

only thing i can think of is a ceramic running 24/7, but don't like the idea of that! Someone must have an idea!
Old 30-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Ultra Citizen

I have a wooden viv for some of my cresties.
I cored out a square hole in the top and replaced it with mesh - Obviously you couldnt do that with the unit you have.
I have a UVB, heatbulb and nightbulb ontop of the mesh which alternate throughout the day on timers.
You would need to have the lights/ceramic inside the viv with a guard over them. Either of these would need a stat to stop them from overheating the viv. The best place to have the lights would probably be at the top-front of the viv and have a reflector to direct the heat/light back into the vivarium.
Nicquita likes this.