Reptile Forums banner

Californa Anole's Are Pregnant Help Please !!

1K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Spikebrit 
#1 ·
Other day i got 6 California Green Anoles (1 male, 5 females) too put in with my tree frogs and today i noticed the male mateing with one of the females and ive been watching him and he is trying too mate with all the females in there some are letting him some are running off.. Can anyone help me with what i should do with the eggs as i know they will eat there young.. I do have a proper incubator with thermostat and everything on it from when i used to breed snakes.. But im not too sure on what temp the incubator needs too be and what i should put the eggs in and soo on.. Soo could anyone give me a little advice please.. I would get advice from the internet but i dont always believe what i see on there would rather get infomation from someone that as done this before.. Thanks ..

#2 ·
Can anyone help at all as i want to get the Incubator setup and working for when the eggs are here as i dont know when they will lay them as they all came from same person soo they might of already of been pregnant

#3 ·
Incubate the eggs at 84 to 86 degrees fahrenheit.(I go for 85) Eggs can go in the typical substrate that you would use to hatch any reptile egg.

By the way there is no such thing as a "Californian green anole" Anoles do not naturally range into California, being confined to the east cost.

Look for the eggs at the base of plants and under logs , they are really tiny and hard to find.

#4 ·
ok thanks ill get the incubater ready and setup tomorrow and the reptile shop i got them from said they was california green anoles but i just tell everyone there green anoles lol

#6 ·
How come all of my anoles prefere to hang off the mesh shield i have around the uv bulb ? they never really use rest of viv its only my frogs that use all of viv

#8 ·
they are fine with the frogs the frogs sometimes sit at side of them on the light or the plant right at side of light the anoles sit there too and frogs do sometimes lol

#9 ·
never mind just as i said that one run to other side of viv lol

#11 ·
the viv is 3ft long just over 1ft tall and over 1ft wide :) ill be taking some pictures soon as this week i get my medium exo terra waterfall and a few live rainforrest plants for the viv soo it looks as real as i can get it lol :2thumb: hopefully it will look good when its done

#14 ·
To be honest mate, this sound too small for six carolinensis AND tree frogs.

Also, anoles are arboreal in habit and live their lives hanging at 3-6ft above the ground on vertical tree trunks. One adult male will have a few females/juvenilles hanging around and he will defend his territory fiercely.

Therefore, anoles need a large, arboreal (vertical/tall) viv with plenty of room as they are quite active little lizards.

For six anoles (no frogs) I would be looking at a 3-5ft tall viv, at least a foot deep, ideally 2+ and 2-3ft wide.

Something like this would be great:

Vivexotic AX24 Vivarium - Beech

Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news as you're so excited about your new tank, but 3 x 1 x 1 is just not a suitable enclosure for 6 green anoles.

#12 ·
The scientific name for them is Anolis carolinensis.

This is possibly where the shop has got confused and written 'Californian' rather than 'carolinensis' ?

#13 ·
yeah i think thats what they have done :) thanks for help hopefully ill have some nice healthy babies :)

#15 ·
its 3ft wide 1.5ft tall 1.5ft wide but for the anoles and frogs im going too get a viv thats at least 4ft tall :) ill sort them out

#16 ·
and i think i will order that viv you have shown me next week :) and put a large exo terra water fall in it and more live plants and lots of long fake plants and jungle vine hangin down

#17 ·
Sounds awesome!

:2thumb:

(...and of course then you'll have a 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft to fill :2thumb:...and so the collection grows!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.