Reptile Forums banner

Can't wait to bring my Bosc home!!!

985 views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  royalman1 
#1 ·
AHHH I've just been and had a cuddle with the baby Bosc I will be bringing home next week! Can't wait! Only concern I have is how much to actually feed him as a baby. I saw him eat ALOT of crickets moments after eating a medium mouse lol. Also I've been told to leave them a while after feeding because they will still be in "hunting mode" is that true?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xctwzu

#2 ·
i fed mine 10 crickets and 5 locusts six days a week until he was 12" long then upped it to 25(ish) crix and locusts mixed 6 days a week,now he's over two feet and feeding on large dubia roaches,adult locusts and about once every 2 months he will get a bowl of giant morios and a large mouse.. just remember mix the diet of inverts up and dont be tempted to feed to many mice or rats they should be a a treat never a staple diet hope this helps

#4 ·
While young and growing feed it as much as it can eat. It's not until they hit sexual maturity before you can cut back on the feed. Providing it with a really, really hot basking site of minimum 135F (measured with an infra red temp gun, don't even bother with a thermometer) and it will put all of it's energy into growth.

#11 ·
Wonderful, thanks for helping I will definitely invest in one!! Would orchid bark be ok for the substrate?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cu4pfa
It would be ok but a sand/soil or coco/sand mix would be better. And the deeper the better. Boscs burrow in the wild and a deeper substrate also helps with the humidity, stopping the need to mist everyday.

#12 ·
no mine isn't snappy at all really he has tamed really well he's not stupid and knows my hand from food as he will take food off tongs with alot of force but if i just pick a roach up and feed it by hand he's very gentle! but as you probably know no two reps are the same... you could end up with a right sod lol!

#23 ·
no i wasn't suggesting finger feeding lol just giving you an example of how "docile" and intelligent they can be as for yours if you put in the work she will hopefully be the same as mine but only time will tell.

shane.. just a quick off topic question what are argus monitors really like to keep? as "the mrs" has agreed to let me have an 18x8x8ft shed (custom build by her dad) in the back garden to which i can make an enclosure in of about say 14x7.5x7ft, im hoping this will be ok for a pair what do you think? cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.