Hi - crested gecko newbie advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Egg
Default Hi - crested gecko newbie advice

I brought my Crested Gecko yesterday.

He's a juvinile., but can just see the developement of the bulges which lead me to think hes male.

His viv sits on top of my snake (royal python) vivs hot end, and got a red bulb in just to keep temps up should they drop. Quite easily achieving 75+ degrees F, but whats the best level to keep him at?

Ive ordered a digital hygrometer, and have bin told to spray once a day in the evening. But would prefer to have a target for his humidity %, easier to monitor that way.

Ordered some CGD and some Gut Load for live feeding him crickets, do I still need calcium powder for the crickets based on the above?

He currently has furniture wise:

A snake cave with spagnum moss in as a wet hide.
A normal cave type hide on the floor.
Plantation soil substrate
A small water bowl.
Rock backing to the viv
A vine style fake plant and a fake plant growing from the ground.

I am looking for a shelf/ledge type hide currently, to enable him to feed higher up the viv, something which Ive see mentioned as a characteristic of these geckos.

Ive been told to leave him 2 weeks before handling, allowing him to settle, with this in mind I would of thought the stress of the move would mean him hiding away for 2 weeks, but he really was active on his first night in his new home. Love the throat movement from the breathing that resembles frogs and the lick of his eye balls. Will attempt to get some pictures up of him.

So basically any pointers on the info above or other things I should be doing etc for him are gratefully received.

Cheers

Dan

Last edited by pigglywiggly; 09-05-2012 at 07:06 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Super Citizen

As long as you mist once a day you will be fine , around 50/60% is fine the rest of the time( normal room humidity).
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Postaholic Member

yes, you need to dust the livefood.

i alternate between nutrobal and calcium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Egg

I would spray at least twice a day to keep humidity up, here is a link to a fantastic website all about crested geckos. When it comes to looking after animals its always good to know the ins and outs.

click me to visit the website mentioned above.

Also the lady who runs the above website has some fantastic care videos on youtube

crested gecko videos

Last edited by miihackwii; 09-05-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Egg

I will head out to get some Nutrobal and Calcium powders then.

Anything specific I need to look out for with the calcium?

Quite surprised at how quickly he has settled, popped a some crickets in for him last night, and spotted him wolfing at least 2 of them down.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Egg

Calcium and Nutrobal purchased. Will alternate them as above.

He's around 4.5 - 5 inches in total length including the tail, what sort of amounts of CGD and crickets shoud I be feeding him in one sitting?

Is it important to remove crickets he hasnt eaten? I noticed a couple of crickets left over last night, but he appeared to actively be hunting them, where to be seen this morning. However, I have heard that they can damage the gecko, particularly if the crickets get hungry?

He still very active, love to watch him climbing about, but not as much as the first couple of nights before he fed, is it normal like in snakes for him to reduce his activity whilst he digests his food?

Cheers

Dan
Old 11-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Postaholic Member

a cresties stomach is about the size of his eye apparently, i leave cgd in all the time, i change the cgd in mine 3x a week and use about a teaspoon in a milk bottle top.

if theres cgd in the tank then the odd loose cricket that the crestie hasnt caught will eat that.
just dont put oodles of crix in at once, too many will stress the crestie, and you want them eaten pretty quickly before they start eating crestie poop!

how often you feed crickets is up to you....some peeps feed once a week, some on alternate days when the cgd isnt changed. entirely up to you

this time of year spraying the viv once a day is fine, enough so that the decor and foilage drips with water. it`ll then dry out beore the next days soaking.

when the weather warms up more spraying might be necessary, especially if it get really hot.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to kelsey7692

I would keep spraying to once a day. You should get around 80% when sprayed, slowly dropping to around 50% over the course of the night. They don't need to be sopping wet 24/7 like some people seem to believe. In all honesty I don't even have a hygrometer and I've never had any issues. I find they cause you to panic more about the levels.

I personally just use nutrobol to dust the live food and ensure they're well gutloaded. I do give the females a pot of calcium as well.
pigglywiggly likes this.

In the 70's they blamed the Doberman, in the 80's it was the German Shepherd, in the 90's the Rottweiler. Now it's the Pitbull. -Cesar Millan

Instagram: KelseyShep_
Twitter: KelseyShepherd_