Reptile Forums banner

is there a market for selling pygmy chams?

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Iwantone 
#1 ·
as the title says really i am looking to breed later this year and i am going to sell most of them but i might want to think twice about breeding if there is no market for selling the babies
thanks

#4 ·
Think there is defo a market for them I was looking at getting a pair earlier this year and it was impossible to find some, so think me and many other people would want some.

#5 ·
In a word YESSSSSSSSSSS,

We need as many captive strains as possible across as many differing species,

The import of wild collected reptiles will one day be banned!!!!!probably in the next 5 years. It does not give us long to protect the varying species available now by getting good "farming" practises started now.

GOOD LUCK!!

John

Reactions: UKCrestie
#8 ·
well you bought them and i doubt you're the only person in the UK that bought them so i guess there is a market just not as big as the crested gecko/leopard gecko/bearded dragon market.

#9 ·
I am continuously trying to source out cb pygmys from different strains. So far I have only managed one female who is all alone in a well established viv and is ready for breeding (she is a brev.). If you have any success I am a definite customer of any species.
To add to this, I am thinking more owner than breeder but there are more and more people looking to buy pygmys and they are going to get more popular every few months as more reptile keepers get more familiar with them.

PM me if you get any success. From what I've heared, 12wks before you release them for sale to ensure they are capable of the move.

Ryan

#11 ·
Whenever I google in search of pygmy chams I keep finding posts of people looking to buy Pygmy chams and never any for sale and I do think they will become more popular as so many people who want to keep retiles or add new reptiles to their collection are liking the idea of pygmy chams as they need such little space to accomodate them in comparison to other popular larger reptiles.
I just got really excited seeing there was a reply to this thread, thought someone might have had some for sale.:blush:

#17 ·
There is a definite market for them. I breed mine here. The issue is so few people seem able to raise them to an age where they can be sold and survive.

Jay

Do you know of any literature that may be helpful in this department? I have grown to want to learn more about these reptiles as I have and still do with my beardies and turtles.

#16 ·
Are you going to be advertising these as for sale or are you keeping them? I live in South Wales which is not to far from you (assuming from your sig.). I only have one female and am desperately seeking a healthy male, otherwise I would have considered some sort of trade. As I got a pair from the North East coming in about 10wks maybe could in the future be able to help each other in maintaining healthy colonies? A larger terrarium I need to get established quickly as I have high hopes of getting a healthy colony of pygmys.

#14 ·
I would say yes, they are very sought after, but unfortunately dont live long at all. People seem to prefer them because they require such small vivs, look cute etc. If you can get a good breeding colony and keep them alive then go for it.

#15 ·
I have just the one so far in a small exo-terra terranium. I bought her for £50 with the complete terra well established and light canopy from a classified here at RFUK. I give her 12hrs of 5%uvb daily, regular misting and I feed her gut loaded crickets and gut loaded locust hatchlings. I always read crix on care sheets but find locusts are much better gut loaders so I use both to vary her diet. I have been thinking about trying to temp her with calci worms. I am not 100% sure if they are ok for pygmy Brevs though. Anyone know a good book I can order then let me know, the care sheets are basic care needs and think I need to know about the actual species, would like a better understanding I think I'm trying to say.
My female is coming up to a year old, she looks very healthy, eats well and is active enough. I know they don't need uvb (debatable) but have read they fair better and live longer with it. Maybe the whole environment we are trying to create for them benefits from the UVB and that in turn benefits the Cham?

I live in South Wales and have two hatchlings in nursery as I've mentioned but am looking for more and will be scouring the classifieds for more terrariums.
If anyone has any terrariums or pygmy chams they can sell please pm me. Thanks.

#18 ·
I breed Bearded Pygmies and have had no trouble selling the ones that I have raised even though I have only had to advertise the remaining one. I have a couple of very recently hatched babies and eggs incubating. I bought another trio just recently as I am planning to raise and sell unrelated babies. I think that they are fascinating little things but are not for handling imo.

#19 · (Edited)
I breed Bearded Pygmies and have had no trouble selling the ones that I have raised even though I have only had to advertise the remaining one. I have a couple of very recently hatched babies and eggs incubating. I bought another trio just recently as I am planning to raise and sell unrelated babies. I think that they are fascinating little things but are not for handling imo.
Hi Joanne, Never realised you were on this site to? I'm Ryan (beards from the pygmychameleon forum) who is going to be collecting the two hatchlings you have when they are mature enough. ;-)
Just been to have my stitches out, had a full ****** moment, worse than when I actually cut my tendons. A typical adult baby. lol.

All I've read about them I wouldn't handle them as they are easily stressed and the stress shortens their already short lifespan.
Now on a contradictory note, The one we have lives in my 12yr old sons bedroom. He is the type of child who is always out so the cham is given plenty of peace and quiet. My son when alone will put his hand at the entrance to the terrarium and the cham will climb out onto his hand and sit on his arm and when she wants to go back in she will make her way back down to his hand where she will climb off back onto a branch inside the terra. I do the feeding, spot cleaning and misting but she will move to an area she feels safe and I never handle her. I have asked other pygmu brev keepers and have been told everytime that this is a rare occurance. He does not do this to often and I've told him never to do it in company.
He never picks her up, she always willingly climbs onto him. Do you think he should stop this or do you think it should be ok?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.