Reptile Forums banner

viv temps

194 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  imginy 
#1 ·
Hello all.

Past few day's I've noticed a bit of an issue that has been occurring with the viv temps for my beardie.
Basically on occasion my room gets too hot that this also warms the viv therefore the thermostat thinks its hot enough and the basking light gets dimmer and dimmer till it goes off.
Windows are open along with blinds shut. Viv is on the floor but still on occasion the heat is just too much.
Does anyone here use a regular fan or is it just PC ones that are used as a option to keep the thermostat fooled that its cool therefore allowing the basking light to maintain the correct temp?

Thanks

#2 ·
I have been using a fan the last few days to help keep the room cool.

There is a few other things you can do.

1. drill more holes in the viv for extra ventilation and to let the extra heat out.
2. use a lower wattage bulb and then raise the basking spot closer to compensate. This will give you the same basking temp and will reduce ambient temps which will mean the thermostat will not be cutting out the power.
3. At night leave all the windows open to get your house nice and cold this will then take much longer for your house to overheat the next day.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

Out of curiosity, what type of fan have you got cooling the room? Tower fan/desk fan etc?

Got 5 vents in there at the moment so will look into getting more holes drilled in to get the heat out.
Using a 75W bulb at the moment so will also try dropping to maybe a 50W version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.