Reptile Forums banner

How to spot a gravid beardie?

217 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  nicnet 
#1 ·
Hey...

So my brother just picked up a breeding pair, and the bloke said that she last laid this time last year...

The female did look pretty fat to me, but iv not much of a clue when it comes to beardies?

Any tips on spotting a gravid female for me when i next go round?

Also, is it worth putting in a lay box in there? If so, what do people use?

Thanks...

#2 ·
Depends on how far along she is to be honest Craig

By the time she is ready to lay you will notice bumps in her belly. This depends on how full of eggs she is though. Some you don't notice the bumps.

She will start to scratch around the viv a lot. Bit like glass running but on the floor. She'll be looking to dig a hole for eggs. This is your sure fire sign she is gravid.

I use a washing up bowl and fill it 3/4 with damp sand. put her in it inside the viv and if she is getting ready to lay she will go nuts in the sand and start to dig.

My female refused to actually lay in the box though the first time she layed and I ended up dumping the sand into her viv and piling it up. her second clutch this year she did lay in the box.

#4 ·
A note on the sand. Make sure its damp enough or when she digs the hole will collapse on her, chances are she will be head first in the sand also and digging a sort of tunnel/cave. Watch her in case it drops on her head. Had to dig mine out of there fast once when it did that as she was completely head first under the sand.

Sand wants to be about the same consistency as you would make sand castles with. Damp enough to build up and hold but not wet.

Put the lay box in the same spot as she is digging in the viv, she has decided that the temp there is right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.