DIY Vivarium - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 16-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Egg
Default DIY Vivarium

Hi, I am currently drawing up a design to build my own vivarium for my Chinese Water Dragons.

They are now about a year old so I need a new tank for them. I have an idea in mind but am unsure about the glass doors. Is it possible to use a hinged, glass panel door instead of a sliding door? I think this would be easier to build and use but don't want to use a hinged door if it cannot be sealed properly.

Anyone done this before or know any good websites/books I can use?

Thanks a lot,

jayrdi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Forum Citizen

I would of thought sliding doors would be easier as you can order the runners off eBay and get the glass from a glazers. How would you hinge your glass doors?
Old 16-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Egg

I'd have a wooden frame large enough to hold the hinges and get the glazier to drill holes into it to fit the hinges. The glass front will be huge so if I had sliding doors I'd only have the option of opening the whole front section. I don't want to do this because crickets have a habit of escaping when I open the doors in my current vivarium! Was thinking that if I split the glass front into smaller (but still large) glass panels as doors I could access different parts of the vivarium when needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Forum Citizen

Runners would be easier but not by much. I have been building a new viv and wanted to hinge the glass. Depending on what size glass doors your doing you could try these

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...d.php?t=184120

And best of all no drilling needed in the glass.

They work great on mine.
jayrdi likes this.
Old 17-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Egg

They look ideal - thanks a lot for that!

Now I just have to hope my DIY skills are up to scratch...
Old 17-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrdi View Post
I'd have a wooden frame large enough to hold the hinges and get the glazier to drill holes into it to fit the hinges. The glass front will be huge so if I had sliding doors I'd only have the option of opening the whole front section. I don't want to do this because crickets have a habit of escaping when I open the doors in my current vivarium! Was thinking that if I split the glass front into smaller (but still large) glass panels as doors I could access different parts of the vivarium when needed.
Im not sure a glazier would be able to drill toughened glass so that option may be out of the window.
Old 17-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:

Mines certainly aint, tried to build a bloody rack and failed! oh well trial and error hahaha
Old 17-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:

No worries mate. Lotusnut has them on eBay so just drop him a pm and he will direct you to the right link.

All you can do is have a go, best way to learn. There are always ways to cover up mistakes. If your painting the outside car filler is great for filling any gaps and covering screws. Gives you a great finish!

Let us know how it goes and post some pics mate when it's done!

Tags
diy , glass doors , vivarium