leapard gecko help please - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 18-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Egg

ye ill leave wax worms. and for roaches i just dont think i could have them in the house i dont like them. and they both sound the same im confusing myself haha.

ye just a heatmat, and natural light thro the window at the minute. it seems to hide allday and come out at night. i think its scared i only got it 3days ago and i want everything to be perfect for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Super Regular

I leave crickets in the viv overnight, Leo's are nocturnal and hunt throughout the night so you want to leave some food for them. This is purely my experience but black crickets are far more likely to attack your gecko whereas brown crickets don't seem as prone to attacking viv occupants. If you gut load them before putting them in and leave some green stuff in the viv for them to eat you'll stop this problem anyway.
Old 18-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Egg

i went to the pet shop amd was getting just normal calcium and vitemins + d3 like you just said and she
said they dont need vitemins i new she was wrong. ill picks some up today.

i put chopped some potatos and carrots up and put the with the worms is that any good? the meelworms demolished it was all gone within half hour lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-2012, 04:49 PM
5 Star Member

If you'd rather stick to crickets that's up to you, I would suggest leaving a small amount of veg in the tank for the crickets to nibble on (otherwise they could go for your leo!)

Make sure you don't leave the tank in direct sunlight, it can heat the tank to very high temperatures which you have no control over. Overheating, in extreme cases, can kill reptiles.

If you've only had the little one for 3 days then they are likely to still be settling in and will hide a lot more. Remember that they are crepuscular animals and are more likely to roam around/hunt in low lighting and at night (although some do wander in the day). Let him settle in for the first couple of weeks and try to disturb as little as possible

EDIT - use carrots and potatoes are ok but vary as much as possible, if you have a chemical free garden you can use dandelion leaves. Moisture rich foods are good for hydration of the bugs and keeps them going for longer. As multivits go nutrobal is easily available but you can also try repashy calcium +

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 18-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Egg

i have brown crickets and that makes sense leaving food in there for
them im so stupid somtimes. ill try it tonight. how many crickets would you normaly put in. and thank to everyone for the help and advise i appreciate it
Old 18-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Super Regular

I would suggest half a dozen maximum, probably 3-4, I find brown crickets very fast and if your gecko is struggling to catch them you could try chilling them in the fridge first, I do this for my African Fat Tails.
Old 19-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Egg

ye they are super fast there imposible to
catch. can i get slower ones? ans does chilling them slow
them down, i will have to try that thanks. i just bought some multivitamin called nutrobal, it say on the back use a pinch per kilo.. anybody know what this means and can to much harm it

Tags
leapard gecko