leapard gecko help please - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 18-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Egg
Default leapard gecko help please

ok im new ro these forums and this is my first reptile.

first my gecko will only eat meelworms, i put about 3meelworms and 4crickets in his viv every day and the crickets are still there in the morning. its only around 6 weeks old and i want what best for it and would like some profesional advise.

second problem is it always seems to either stay on the cold side or in its moist hide is this normal? the cold side is around 75f and hot side is around 85f

and last does it need light as when i have the heat mat and light on it gets way to hot in there. my room is around 75f already before i do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Regular

Hey Danny,

I wouldn't worry too much about your gecko only eating mealworms. Two of my geckos will only eat mealworms but it is better to vary their diets. Just put a few more mealworms because at that age they will eat like mad.

Also don't worry too much that he/she is on the cooler side, he/she will move around to find the right temperature. Does your heat mat have a stat on it? And what does the temp go up to with the lights on?

Dave

Understanding Wife 0.1.0
Old 18-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Super Regular

85-90 is ok for the warm end but it is imperative that you have a thermostat to regulate the temerature, your Leo will find the part of the tank that it finds most comfortable and if he's constantly in the cool end perhaps the temps are a little high. In the wild Leo's spend most of their time in underground hides which are quite humid so perhaps your animal feels at home in the hide. In relation to lighting I fall on the side of providing low level UV even if they don't spend much time under the light, it has been shown that Leo skin is very adept at absorbing UV.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-2012, 04:03 PM
5 Star Member

As already said, the little one needs more mealworms if that's all it eats (at that age they should be eating a fair amount). You could also try locusts, calci-worms or silk worms to add variation.

What are you measuring the temperature with? And do you have thermostats for your mat and light? Each individual has their temperature preference (some prefer cooler than others) but the warm side could be increased to 90F+

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 18-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Egg

hi yes i have a habistat to turn of the temp when it gets to hot and with the bulb the temps reach over 110f, it is a 40w bulb. i have just been to pets at home and purchased a sunglow 15w bulb and a night glow 15w bulb so hopefully these wont give of much heat anf it will get a day night cycle.

i got told that they got most of the goodness from crickets and feeding it meelworms all the time are bad for them is this true. i would prefer not to give crickes as there 2nd branded and so small they can get out the vents of the viv. and theres no point in putting them in if it wont eat them they jist end up all over the house haha.
Old 18-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Egg

so say i got meelworms, calciworms and silkworms would this be a good variety? i though they would all be the same lol. are wax worms any good
Old 18-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Super Regular

I wouldn't worry too much about feeding just mealworms, some breeders use these exclusively, it is however important that whatever you feed is gut loaded and dusted. I would keep trying crickets as this promotes hunting behaviour and keeps the animal healthy as apposed to just walking over to a bowl and picking out its food.
Old 18-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Egg

i use a digital thermastat to read temps its one with 2 probes on i have one at each end. the hot end is 85f but under the hide on the hot side its 92f. on the hot side i have a big hide its a folked branch and cold side its a small stone hide do you think the branch is to big as it seems to like the small stone one?
Old 18-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Egg

yes i have bug grub and feed the bugs every 24hrs and also have calcium plus d3 witch i have in a bowl in the viv and also dust the bugs with. and yes ill keep trying the crickets as i have loads of them. is it safe to leaves the crickets in over night? pet shop
told me they would turn on the gecko if they got hungry.
Old 18-08-2012, 04:32 PM
5 Star Member

How high up are the vents? You could try dubia roaches, they are rubbish climbers and don't bite the geckos like crickets can. Personally I would avoid waxworms at such a young age (high in fat) but can be used as a treat when your gecko is bigger. Franklyn Scales made a good point, gutloading and dusting is essential with all livefood

I'm assuming you've only got your heat mat connected to a thermostat then? If the lightbulbs are playing havoc with your temperatures you can either get a dimming thermostat for it or just use the heat mat. 92F is fine for the hot end but 110F is far hotter than recommended. I think you've got thermometers and thermostats mixed up (a common mistake ), thermostats control the temperatures (usually a white or black box with a dial on) and thermometers tell you the actual temperatures. The dials on thermostats are not accurate so these shouldn't be relied upon

Sorry if you already know all that but best to explain these things

EDIT - you should gutload them with more than just bug grub, give them kitchen scraps to vary the nutrients. You should have 2 types of powder, one multivitamin/D3 and one pure calcium (with no D3). The calcium powder can stay in the viv the whole time and the multivits should be used to dust the bugs

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/

Tags
leapard gecko