Reptile Forums banner

BINs (My BOSC) Progress

1K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  MrJsk 
#1 ·
Hey, so 2 weeks ago I purchased a Bosc monitor and named him BIN! I can't believe how much he has grown already :gasp: When he first arrived he was very skittish, would hide when I came in the room and also not come out unless it was feeding time! He is already becoming used to me sitting outside his viv, he even comes out of hiding if I am sitting there now and will happily just sit there while I watch him do his thing :2thumb:

This is BIN 2 weeks ago at 4 months old, I am not sure how big he was..

This is BIN now.. he is just under 1 and a half foot long, he looks twice the size he was when I fist got him...

As you can see in this picture he will happy come and investigate instead of hiding while I am in the room.. However if my hand gets too close to him his hisses and puffs up! So I still have a loooooong way to go before he is "tame" enough to be handled!

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey, thank you :2thumb:

It is eco earth (im sure you already know this but) it's them bricks you buy and you just wack them in water and it expands.. The white gravel looking kind of stuff is calci sand which I have had for ages from when I used to have a leopard gecko.. i know calci sand is not too great for Bosc Monitors and that some say 70:30 "dirt" and play sand is ideal but i didn't mix the calci sand for that.. to be honest i just thought that it made it look pretty LOL

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah, I plan to build a viv for when he is bigger because I confess that the viv he is in now does not allow for a good depth of substrate and is only 6ft long, 2ft wide and 2ft high

I already knew when i brought it that i would have to provide something bigger for him once he had grew a bit

Oh and also, i was planning to use top soil but i couldn't find any that did not have some kind of plant feeder or other crap in it..

#17 ·
dirt from yours mums garden is fine so long as she doesbt use pesticides or fertilisers on it.

dirt is dirt n theres very few parasites over here that your monitor womt get from you or livefood anyway

very host specific are reptile parasites

#20 ·
Go my top soil from wickes

Mine is now turning into a right little chunk. S/he was so tiny when I first got him and I had a few problems with feeding. Now there is no stoping him/her. She didn't quite know what to do with the first pinky I gave her but now she soon gulps it down along with insects too. Has loads of spaces she could hide but chooses a part of the back ground that she can get behind. Mind you she won't fit there for much longer.
She is one hell Of a climber too
Proper hisses and whips at me and then goes back to hide.
She doesn't Mind once my hand is still though but won't climb On yet. Just walked around and then off she goes.
Had her about 3 months now and pleased she finally growing and developing her attitude lol.

#21 ·
Oh that is good to know because where i am going wickes is right across the road from homebase so if 1 doesn't have it i hopefully can get it in the other :thumb:

Aww, he/she sounds pretty cool :flrt: I have not fed my bosc pinkies YET! He likes his locusts though, after the first couple he takes them really nicely and calmly from the tweezers but then he will let it run a bit and then will ATTACK it! LOL he likes pulling their legs off too!

Do you have any pictures of your Bosc and set up?

#22 ·
Will upload pics when I get on computer. Will try and get an up to date pic of him/her too.
Only been on pinkies for last couple weeks. She likes most bugs but she bored of crickets
Locusts are her fav she likes chasing them. I just pop them in her viv gives her lots of exercise.
She will tong feed but she does prefer the chase

Reactions: Infernalis
#23 ·
Will upload pics when I get on computer. Will try and get an up to date pic of him/her too.
Only been on pinkies for last couple weeks. She likes most bugs but she bored of crickets
Locusts are her fav she likes chasing them. I just pop them in her viv gives her lots of exercise.
She will tong feed but she does prefer the chase

must admit i do the same i only tong feed the fuzzies i give mine the locusts i just put in to keep up the exercise, mine doesnt seem overly keen on crickets anymore so he geting locusts, dubais, morios and fuzzies at the mo.

mr jsk your little chap is coming on lovely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.