Reptile Forums banner

ccwd

217 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rainbowzi 
#1 ·
i have a 12 year old Chinese crested water dragon.... for the past 3-4 days he has not climbed on his log, laid on the bottom of his tank and rarely gone into his water to bathe, he is also eating very little.... he dosen't usually have much of an appetite but now has become worrying!

I have asked for advice and some have said to give him a salt water bath and others have said to give him a powerade/water bath.... i am unsure which is best for him or if he is coming to the end of his line...

would appreciate any advice from any of you guys if u have experienced this with your ccwd...

#2 ·
Tbh I'm not sure how old cwd's can get in captivity but 12 years doesn't seem bad!

As for bathing use original powerade, (10% powerade, 90% warm water) and give him around 10 mins in it, longer if he's not getting stressed. If he's not bathing or eating then he's likely to be getting a bit dehydrated - this bath will help to re-hydrate and get some electrolytes into his system and can stimulate their appetite.

Just double check temperatures, UV, humidity etc and get him to the vet if there's no change. Hope he gets back to his old self!

Reactions: rainbowzi
#3 ·
I would go for electrolyte bath (reptoboost, powerade etc) this will boost his energy levels and ensure he is fully hydrated. 12 yrs os a ripe old age for cwd in wild or captivity so its. Ot unusual to see him slow down

#4 ·
Thanks guys. We got him when he was well into old years so not expecting him to last long. Just trying to help him through his last. He's bathing but not active as he was or eating like he should or was. Thanks for advice. Shall update and let you guys know if it helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.