Reptile Forums banner

Advice needed on Set up for new gecko

815 views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Jesterone 
#1 ·
Hi All

I have recently managed to let the OH agree to let me get a Leopard Gecko soon. I want to get the viv ready etc first.

I have ordered (after reading various sites about what I can house 1 gecko in)

Exo Terra Analogue Thermometer
Komodo Mealworm Dish
Exo Terra Natural Terrarium Medium - Low
Rep-Cal Ultrafine Calcium with D3 93g

Also looking in to tiles for the base as its easy to clean and do not like the idea of using sand/ cage carpet as it may harm the little one :)

I already keep snakes and have spare stats, and heat mats and other feeding/water dishes.

I have read about lighting and night lights, and ive got a little confused. Will I need one? And if so what would be the best ones for me to use?

So yeah, any extra info any one can give would be awesome. I'm picking up the viv on Sunday, and want to try and get all temps set and stuff as soon as I can. (before the OH changes his mind hehe)

See less See more
#2 ·
hi there,

i have 2 leos to start with is the lights,
you dont need any special lighting for them just a viewing light and you dont need a night light unless you want to view them at night time i use a normal bulb holder and have a exo terra moonlight bulb 40w that works ok i dont want it to be too bright so its just nice

temperatures:

hot end around 88-90F and cold end around 78-82F i have found works best,

make sure you have a hide at the cold end a hide at the warm end and a humid hide with damp paper towel in for the shedding process!

i wouldnt use tiles on the floor as well as it might be easy to clean its not natural for them, but dont use sand as they can eat it and get impacted,

i use the dried corn stuff £10 per 6.5KG and i have a 2 and a half foot viv and i only used half a bag,

the more branches and things you have in there will make the gecko feel safer so it will be climbing around the tank more than rushing from a-b to get to the warm hide or vise versa,

hope i have helped message me if you may need any other info

Jake

#3 ·
General above information is good. Except I'd say tile is a perfect substrate. You can get very natural looking tile and it doesn't have any drawbacks whatsoever. No risk of impaction and very hygienic.

You'll need to look into your supplementation. Calcium + D3 isn't enough on its own. Your best bet is to invest in Repashy Calcium Plus, then you can use it with every feed without having to worry about it.

As above don't leave too much open space on the floor. Give them cover so they can move from A to B and feel sheltered.

I'm sure you'll get some more advice on here as well. Good luck!

#4 ·
You shouldn't really use analogue thermometers/hygrometers. They really are useless, especially at measuring floor temperatures which is what you need to monitor.

For substrate I wouldn't go for the corn stuff (again it's not very natural ;) ) and surely has a chance of impaction too if it's loose. With tiles, I wouldn't go for the heavy/ceramic type, I don't think it'll do much good at keeping heat and not sure a heat mat could heat through them. I use reptile carpet and never had any problem, but you could also use lino or slate.

I would advise getting a UVB light if you're able to (although not necessary) it will be very beneficial for your gecko. Any heat lamps aren't necessary as, if you're using a glass tank anyway, it won't be effective at holding heat. If you do choose to have a light then it should be statted (but I guess you already know that ;) )

Agree with Jesterone about Repashy calcium +, it's great stuff and an all-in-one with everything you need vitamin, calcium and D3 wise

#5 ·
When I see someone say tile I think of the cheap Vinyl type ones. Because I use them I guess. You're right though, proper tiles would probably be no good. My misinterpretation.

#6 ·
Nah it's probably just me nitpicking ;)

#7 ·
#10 ·
Ceramic floor tiles are absolutely fine and in fact retain heat really well and are my preference if weight is not an issue. In a stack I use vinyl to keep the overall weight down.
I stand corrected :notworthy:

#8 ·
i like to use slates as they spread heat well and are natural looking. If your room tempatures around 20*c, then itl be okay. Just use a heat mat. My leo seems to be fine on that set up. Though like everything, pets are all different in the way they work.

Hope you get set up okay!

Reactions: Vikx993
#9 ·
Thanks everyone!

I was looking in to slate tiles not just general floor tiles. My fault should of mentioned that one.

Am thinking I might go for one of the moonlight bulbs not to sure yet.

Also I have been looking at Repashy calcium + so thats good!

#11 ·
Thanks everyone!

I was looking in to slate tiles not just general floor tiles. My fault should of mentioned that one.

Am thinking I might go for one of the moonlight bulbs not to sure yet.

Also I have been looking at Repashy calcium + so thats good!
repashy calciums excellant stuff

#16 ·
Yep :)

Reactions: Elmlee
#17 ·
Do you ever get the urge to mix it with milk and have a taste :D

Reactions: Elmlee
#18 ·
Tbh I have never smelt it, but apparently it's spose to be gorgeous. Going to try and get mine on it :) x

#20 ·
Reactions: Vikx993
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.