bearded dragons - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 15-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Regular
Default bearded dragons

Hi everyone could anyone tell if this setup is anygood for 1 bearded dragon ?
The Bearded Dragon Vivarium Habitat Kit- Limited Special Offer - Reptile Starter Kits - £229.00 - Reptile Vivariums & Habitats - The Pet Express

everyone says 4ft+2ft+2ft but vivexotic dont make that size vivarium and ive been up all night on the internet trying to find one that size.

Atb Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-12-2012, 11:33 AM
5 Star Member

That kit is not very good, especially for its price.

Firstly, the viv, the one in the kit is basically a 4x1.5x1.5, you want that extra .5 of a foot in height and depth believe me, the height is necessary to have an elevated basking area and maintain a safe distance between the bulb and BD. As you said you want a minimum of 4x2x2. Try the classifieds on here or contact a viv builder as they'll be able to sort one out. I'd recommend Volly, he's on this forum and does great work, I can personally recommend his vivariums. here is a thread of his stating £65-£90 for a 4x2x2 depending on whether there are any offers going. Best off ringing him.

Secondly, the uv, that kit has two bulbs which of course means two to replace every 6months. Buy the Arcadia T5 12%. You want this, the 3ft version for a 4ft viv. Mount it on the roof behind the front plinth so its out of sight. This kit is everything you want/need, bulb, reflector, ballast. Trust me you want this, the T5 is revolutionary and much better than anything else available, I can again vouch for this personally. It is then the single bulb you need to replace and they only need replacing every 12 months as apposed to 6 for every other bulb.

Then all you need is a ceramic bulb holder and heat resistant cable from here, a normal 60w household reflective spot bulb or halogen from tesco, b&q, wickes, etc, etc. I'd also get a metal lamp reflector such as this.

To control the heat output you need a DIMMING thermostat, I can recommend the habistat dimming thermostat although there are new ones coming out very soon that look impressive from habistat, microclimate and iSTAT but these will probably be unnecessary for your needs. habistat dimming stat.

you need digital thermometers, at least 2, I'd recommend 3 and again get these from eBay, like this for example.

Finally substrate and decor, research for a substrate of your choice. I'd steer clear of any loose substrates until the BD is older, a good aim on live food, you can be sure he/she will be fine on it and you know your temps and husbandry are spot on. I would recommend using tiles, cut them to fit in the floor and either grout them in or scatter a little play sand (argos) in between the grooves.

That should do you. You'll probably end up spending around the same as the kit you linked but you will have a much better complete kit. That one above doesn't include a necessary thermostat and has inferior uv and viv size.

Last edited by tomcannon; 15-12-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Old 15-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Ultra Citizen

It's great advice as always from tom.

I have also contacted Volly about vivs and he has great prices.

Just wish I had come here before I purchased my kit from a supplier. Would have saved loads

1.0.0 Ackie Monitor, Rico
1.0.0 Pacman frog, Blinkin
0.0.1 Giant African Land Snail, Loco
0.1.0 girlfriend, Jenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-12-2012, 03:05 AM
Regular

Cheers for the advise Tom
ive been and ordered a 4x2x2 viv from a local reptile shop..

as for the t5 i didnt think this was new technology im sure i used t5 on my marine tank quite a few years ago or am i missing something out ?

the digital thermometers u linked i already use to watch the heat from bulbs that i use on my mantis shelving

ive gone for a ceramic heat system for the beardie and somesort of controler for a day and night time heat,controlled by a Lucky Reptile Thermo Control Pro II Digital Thermostat.

as im using that would you also use a spot lamp as a basking area?

sorry for all the questions
Old 16-12-2012, 08:26 AM
5 Star Member

That sounds good except for the ceramic. BD's fair better with a light source as they associate the light with heat and shade with cool, helps with their thermo regulation. You could of course wire in a secondary bulb along side the ceramic but its just pointless and would most probably be overkill, they would both be on very dim or your viv would overheat. The heat source only needs to be on at day time so buy a light emitting bulb not a ceramic. If you did what you are contemplating then you will use more electricity, you will not have a beam of light associated with your basking spot, you increase the chance of your vivarium over heating or something serious occuring, I wouldn't recommendhaving any light/heat source in a viv unstatted too so that's potentially another £40.

It's lost on me why people do this. Why pay more for an inferior setup?

Old 16-12-2012, 03:52 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Cheers for the advise Tom
ive been and ordered a 4x2x2 viv from a local reptile shop..

as for the t5 i didnt think this was new technology im sure i used t5 on my marine tank quite a few years ago or am i missing something out ?

the digital thermometers u linked i already use to watch the heat from bulbs that i use on my mantis shelving

ive gone for a ceramic heat system for the beardie and somesort of controler for a day and night time heat,controlled by a Lucky Reptile Thermo Control Pro II Digital Thermostat.

as im using that would you also use a spot lamp as a basking area?

sorry for all the questions

Arcadia T5 UV has only been out for just over a year (or two) and its not the fittings that are new, its the UV tubes. They are the only ones on the market in t5 size.

The are also the difference between T8 lighting and T5 lighting on a marine tank. Same difference in a viv. Which as a marine keeper you'd know makes a huge difference in fish behaviour etc.

Arcadiajohn likes this.

1.2.0. Beardies Wally, Wilma and Wendy. (Each in own viv, don't house beardies together please)
lygodactylus picturatus Rag,tag, bobtail
1.1.0 shongololo (Train millipedes local African name)...Choochoo and Thomas...
1.1.0 Dogs
Ben, Jack Russel. Holly, Border Collie,
Loooots of fishies
looots of live colonies.
R.I.P. Little Fred. Beardie 29/4/2011

Old 16-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnet View Post
Arcadia T5 UV has only been out for just over a year (or two) and its not the fittings that are new, its the UV tubes. They are the only ones on the market in t5 size.

The are also the difference between T8 lighting and T5 lighting on a marine tank. Same difference in a viv. Which as a marine keeper you'd know makes a huge difference in fish behaviour etc.

I never said i used Arcadia t5 on my marines but it deffo was t5 and they were rather expensive systems not just the bulbs in the day just can't remember who made them now and was more than a couple of years ago.

Tom

as for the heating system for the beardie i havnt brought it yet so it could change that was what the guy in the reptile place was suggesting..
i will have to re think the heating system then again...
you get so many conflicting stories....

thats why i soined this forum to get sound advise and not waste the money as things are tight

Atb Ian
Old 16-12-2012, 06:46 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
I never said i used Arcadia t5 on my marines but it deffo was t5 and they were rather expensive systems not just the bulbs in the day just can't remember who made them now and was more than a couple of years ago.

Tom

as for the heating system for the beardie i havnt brought it yet so it could change that was what the guy in the reptile place was suggesting..
i will have to re think the heating system then again...
you get so many conflicting stories....

thats why i soined this forum to get sound advise and not waste the money as things are tight

Atb Ian
Brilliant that you haven't bought it. Trust me you don't want or need a ceramic, light emitting source all the way and everyone will back me up on that. You'll be surprised how little some of the staff at these reptile stores actually know, we've all heard terrible suggestions and advice from so called reptile stores. Stick with the majority of here and you will do well!

Old 16-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Regular

Tom

Would a 60w spotlight bulb really heat a 4x2x2 viv upto the required temp ? i guess thats why you use a reflector like the one u linked before.
do i get the small reflector ?...
to be honest i was a bit surprised when the i asked where was the best place to put the thermostat probe and his answer was in the middle of the viv..

Ive just looked at your viv build thats some build fella well done.. i see you have two spot lamps in your viv and alot of islulation thats why i asked if you was sure about a 60w spot bulb in a 4x2x2

cheers for all your help fella

Last edited by IanC; 16-12-2012 at 07:10 PM..
Old 16-12-2012, 07:07 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Tom

Would a 60w spotlight bulb really heat a 4x2x2 viv upto the required temp ? i guess thats why you use a reflector like the one u linked before.
do i get the small reflector ?...
to be honest i was a bit surprised when the i asked where was the best place to put the thermostat probe and his answer was in the middle of the viv..

cheers for all your help fella

Actually thats not far wrong. You don't want the stat near the hot side as its there to keep your cool side protected and not to set your temps by.

1.2.0. Beardies Wally, Wilma and Wendy. (Each in own viv, don't house beardies together please)
lygodactylus picturatus Rag,tag, bobtail
1.1.0 shongololo (Train millipedes local African name)...Choochoo and Thomas...
1.1.0 Dogs
Ben, Jack Russel. Holly, Border Collie,
Loooots of fishies
looots of live colonies.
R.I.P. Little Fred. Beardie 29/4/2011