Leopard Gecko Temps are they correct? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 23-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Hatchling
Default Leopard Gecko Temps are they correct?

My new leos live in a 3ft viv, and i'm using a heat bulb. I recorded the temperatures in different parts of the tank can you tell me if the temperatures are alright?

Cool end = 25.6C

Mid = 27.8C

Underneath heat lamp = 31.6C-31.9C

Last edited by ShootingStarzX; 23-12-2012 at 10:37 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Super Citizen

Leopard geckos need belly heat to help digest their food as well an calcium and vitamins. you want the hot end to be 30-32 and the cool end 28-26

https://www.facebook.com/DSCGeckos
CB13 leopard geckos for sale, PM for prices, pictures and other information
Old 23-12-2012, 11:18 PM
5 Star Member

Where are you taking those temperatures from? The air or surface of the substrate?

As Denbyc12 said, they use belly heat rather than overhead heat. This can be overcome by putting a surface that retains heat for a long time under the lamp, such as a rock/slate. You will want to measure the surface temperature of the heat-retaining surface and the rest of the substrate to find out worthwhile temperatures (rather than surface temperatures).

I do think that the above temperatures are a little low - most geckos seem to prefer a warmer hot end, more like 32-35C

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Super Citizen

is it 32-35? whatever 90oF is that's what I've read :L. some of my leops are reaching 35oc and even 37 :/ so I have to alter the probe on the rack. Use a Infra-red temperature gun it'll be more accurate than a digital thermometer.

https://www.facebook.com/DSCGeckos
CB13 leopard geckos for sale, PM for prices, pictures and other information
Old 23-12-2012, 11:37 PM
5 Star Member

32-35C is around 90-95F. Temperature guns are a good choice I've got one for Xmas...but I'm not meant to know about that yet!
JohansonLeos likes this.

Old 24-12-2012, 01:39 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgorst View Post
Where are you taking those temperatures from? The air or surface of the substrate?

As Denbyc12 said, they use belly heat rather than overhead heat. This can be overcome by putting a surface that retains heat for a long time under the lamp, such as a rock/slate. You will want to measure the surface temperature of the heat-retaining surface and the rest of the substrate to find out worthwhile temperatures (rather than surface temperatures).

I do think that the above temperatures are a little low - most geckos seem to prefer a warmer hot end, more like 32-35C
The temp under the heat lamp is around 32C now it keeps go up and down, the gecko lays underneath it on the substrate to warm up but the rest of the temperature are the ambient air temps in the cool end and the middle of the tank.
Old 24-12-2012, 01:45 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStarzX View Post
The temp under the heat lamp is around 32C now it keeps go up and down, the gecko lays underneath it on the substrate to warm up but the rest of the temperature are the ambient air temps in the cool end and the middle of the tank.

Try to take all the measurements from the floor (even the cold end) as this is the temperature that the feel (and rely on) the most.

Do you have the lamp on a thermostat?

Old 24-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Hatchling

I directly put the probe in the sand underneath the lamp and it has shot up to 37C but it cooler around the direct heat exposure, and yes sorry i have been resting the probe on the sand, my mistake not ambient air temp (Tired), surely if the gecko gets too hot he will move to a cooler part in the warm end instead off laying on the sand under the heat bulb? just a little bit away from directly underneath the lamp the temp measure 33C. And yes the lamp is on a Habistat
JohansonLeos likes this.

Last edited by ShootingStarzX; 24-12-2012 at 02:05 AM..

Tags
dragon , gecko , lizard , snake