Reptile Forums banner

Crested gecko question

680 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Roewammi 
#1 ·
Ok i have a 60x60x45cm terrarium and am gonna be breeding credites in there...doess anyone know where I can get cheap cresties from Dosent matter what age

#3 ·
if you`re going to cohabit them they need to be the same size.

and only one male per enclosure.
if you`re going to leave them together all the time a trio would be better.

and any females want to be 35g or more before breeding.

look in the classifieds, sexed females arnt cheap tho!

#5 ·
hi :)

Best thing id recommend is to take it slow. i have 2 females and 4 unsexed babies at the moment. If your going to breed you want perfect examples of the breed. If it was me id like to know the personalities and traits of my parents (of the hatchlings). I also recommend maybe just getting one or 2 babies.. growing them up.. seeing how they turn out (sex/morph wise).

I have 2 girls.. ones nearly a year old and another is half a year old. both in there own vivs. Both very special and looked after, eventually i hope to introduce them (when they are the same weight/size and eat the same food). we are going to breed. we tried looking for adult females but they are over £100 each. Id recommend buying,enjoying and watching some babies grow. then breeding :). But be prepared to separate them if some turn out to be males. eventually we hope to have our 2 girls together.. with hopefully some more if any of our babies turn out to be girls too. Then sort out a nice boy.

Best of luck to you. just do your research, know your geckos and surely its nicer and more meaningful when you have raised the parents yourself :)

:flrt:

#7 ·
Your post sort of conveys the wrong attitude towards breeding. Breeding can be expensive and 'cheap cresties' shouldn't be a priority, you should be focusing on quality healthy animals and although I have nothing against you breeding them, it shouldn't be your first priority, you should aim to simply keep one to start with. Furthermore age does matter when it comes to breeding and sub adults of different sexes will have to be kept separately.
I'm not trying to criticise but it is important to not leap into breeding any animal.

#9 ·
buy the best structured animals you can find, if you buy cheap, drab geckos to breed with poor crests, that is the majority of what you will hatch. Selling those babies will not be easy, especially with the number of people breeding these days. best to spend a bit more now and produce babies that will be in demand.

good luck.

#11 ·
*deep breath in....deep breath out*

Ok...

There are several things to consider when breeding Crested Geckos:

Have you keep them before?
Have you got the space to keep the hatchlings?

Etc etc.

One viv is not sufficient for breeding Cresties. Females can lay eggs every 30 days or so, they need time to recover from breeding and live separately from the male for several months. You may also find that your Cresties don't cohabit we'll so would need to keep them separately all year round.

'Cheap' breeding geckos are likely to have deformities which can not only cause problems in the hatchlings but also health problems and even death in the adults; resulting in numerous vet trips, deformed hatchlings and I'll adults-costing you more in the long run than buying a good, healthy, well structured pair of Crested Geckos.

Please take some time to read an article I have written on breeding; it begins with all the considerations that need to be taken when even considering Cresties;

Breed Crested Geckos - Wiltshire Geckos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.