Reptile Forums banner

Need good advice on heat mats in wooden vivs

985 views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  GoldenBen 
#1 ·
Hi guys, i made a post about using a heat bulb before, but have decided to switch back to using UTH as my bulb wasn't heating enough floor space. I am using a mini stat heat mat, with a mini stat 100 on/off thermostat and currently have it under a thin layer of reptile carpet

When i place the sensor and thermometer directly on the heat pad (As mini stat suggest) I get readings of around 93-94F, but when i place them on the reptile carpet above the heat mat, the temperature is much lower around 84-85F. What do i go by? And i've heard conflicting opinions about even having a heat mat in a wooden viv, but i had even more problems with heat bulbs and using them isn't an option for me. My leo's poop was runny for the first time when using heat bulbs. Mini stat themselves recommend attaching the heat mat to the back wall of the viv, but is that really gonna heat the floor sufficiently? My layer of reptile carpet i just measured at about a quarter of an inch as well. Advice much appreciated

#2 ·
I use heat mats in wooden vivs and have no trouble, I would put the stat probe directly on the mat with the carpet over it and the thermometer on top of the carpet. You can then adjust your stat until the thermometer reads the correct temp.:2thumb:

#7 ·
Ok thanks for the reply, so basically only go by the temperature on top of the reptile carpet itself? I'm worried just for the fact that when i place the thermometer on the heat mat it can go into the high 90's. Will my leo be feeling the high 90's from the heat mat or the mid 80's from the carpet. Also just keep the thermostat sensor directly on the heat mat at all times then?

#3 ·
out of curiousity can you post the link from ministat where it says to put the mat on the wall?

#13 · (Edited)
Heres how i place my probes directly above the heat mat but as davre says you can place thermostat probe under the substrate as long as you adjust it so the thermometer above the substrate at floor level reads the correct temperature.

imageimage

I like that set up and may have to invest in tiling like that, how much did it cost to do that?

Also i've heard people say you shouldn't have hides etc on top a heat mat if inside the viv as it can cause thermal blocking? Do i need to worry about this and is that why my temps are quite low on the warm side?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.