Bearded dragon Basic Set up costs - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 29-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Premier Citizen
Default Bearded dragon Basic Set up costs

Okay so i've been seeing far too many posts with "I got a bearded dragon" and the set up is wrong or "Oooh my set up is wrong but thats far too expensive to pay now" threads.

This is wrong on so many levels! So to put an idea into everyones head of what they are getting into with a bearded and the cost of the set up and feeding etc, Heres what i paid out.

First of all starting this thread with "DONT HOUSE THEM TOGETHER UNLESS ITS FEMALE AND FEMALE AND BE PREPARED TO SEPERATE WITH THE COST INCLUDED", If you can not afford to do this, either only get one or do not get one at all.

So onto the costs. This is a break down of what i have spent since rescuing a bearded dragon in completelly the wrong set up. I have omitted the 6% UV tube i bought as an emergency buy as if your buying from scratch you wont need that one but the one i listed will be needed.

Product ID Product Name Amount
5025629240106 VE Viva Terrestrial Viv Extra Large Walnut £133.87
5055312301029 Pro Rep Basking Spotlamp 100 ES Screw £2.29
5055312301029 Pro Rep Basking Spotlamp 100 ES Screw £2.29
5027407007741 Habistat HI RANGE Dimming Thermostat £39.49
701029829268 Basking Ramp and Platform Grey £9.99
097612700558 ZM Repti Cage Carpet 55 Gal 122x33cm £11.29
Total: £199.22
Delivery: FREE
Grand Total: £199.22

Description Total Line Total
Arcadia Slimline Vivarium Canopy D3+ T5 39w 1 49.99 10.00 59.99
Calci-Worms Large Pre Pack (100 Larvae 8-12mm) 12.25 0.45 2.70 2.70
Sub-Total --- --- --- --- 52.24
Table Rate (UK) (Postage amp; Packaging) --- --- --- --- 4.99
VAT 20.0% --- --- --- --- 11.45
Total --- --- --- --- 68.68

Now i had some decoration for him but not very much so i didnt include what i had already but i have got more coming now and this is basic as well and i will be adding to it but the choice is yours.

Product ID Product Name Amount
4040483641181 Lucky Reptile Savannah Wood Large £25.89
4040483641150 Lucky Reptile Mopani Wood Large £19.85
015561224550 Exo Terra Liquid Crystal Thermometer £2.39
4040483620315 Lucky Reptile Thermometer Deluxe £6.49
4040483620315 Lucky Reptile Thermometer Deluxe £6.49
4040483641037 LR Sand-blasted Grapevine X-Large £13.69
Total: £74.80
Delivery: FREE
Grand Total: £74.80

You also need to include something to hold the spotlamps in as i already had an arcadia ceramic fitting. Arcadia Ceramic Lampholder and Bracket - Light Fittings - Reptile Lighting - Blue Lizard Reptiles - Reptile Shop, This comes in at £11.99

So total so far :- £354.69

To add also the live food i have had to buy to top up my supplies to feed Boris in the short time i have had him. Also the feeding bowls (I had a water dish to hand)

Product Name Model Quantity Price Total
4th Locusts (100) LMHD100 1 £9.46 £9.46
Waxworms (50) LWL50 1 £1.50 £1.50
Hobby Worm Feeding Bowl (200ml) - 10cm x 13cm x 4cm DC36295 1 £5.81 £5.81
Zoo Med Repti Rock Food Dish - x Large DZFDEL 1 £7.21 £7.21
Sub-Total: £19.98
Courier Next Day: £5.99
VAT @ 20%: £4.00
Total: £29.96

Dubia Roach - Medium LDRM20 2 £2.00 £4.01
Sub-Total: £11.22
VAT @ 20%: £2.24
Total: £19.45

Product Name Model Quantity Price Total
Mealworms (60g) LMW60 2 £1.30 £2.59
Dubia Roach - Small/Nympth LDRS100 1 £2.00 £2.00
Sub-Total: £11.71
VAT @ 20%: £2.34
Total: £20.04

Subtotal :- £69.45

Overall cost for a bearded dragon to supply for 1-2 weeks from getting the set up to getting your bearded dragon is below

Overall cost :- £424.14

Now i am sure you can probably get things off of ebay cheaper so that may knock off some of the cost. The point of this post is to show people that beardies are not cheap pets, They need a lot of expensive equipment and if you cant afford this dont get one please! Also bear in mind you need to DOUBLE this if you are getting 2 bearded dragons even if they are two females as you may need to seperate them.

Also i added some Slate tiles which cost as below

Product Details Qty NET VAT Price
811492 Aspen Black 33x33 6 £5.40 £1.08 £6.48
Order Value £5.40
VAT £1.08
Delivery 4.99
Total £11.47

And also the repashy calcium plus at £9.99

So my overall cost and remember i am still buying things and getting more is below

£445.60

Thanks for reading and apologies for the wall of text!

Gary
1.0.0 Blazing Blizzard Leo
Sandy
0.1.0 High Yellow Tremper Albino Leo
Patty
0.1.0 High Yellow (Possibly tremper) Leo
To be named
1.0.0 To be identified Leo
Boris
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
Mac
(Damn turning into a zoo slowly!)

Signature picture created for me by Bexzini who is awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-03-2013, 10:46 AM
5 Star Member

good post mate , should be a sticky the one also for me is the amount of animals with mbd related problems there no other way to take on these wonderful animals than research and lots of it, and supplements there no short cuts you need the best
dramen likes this.
Old 29-03-2013, 11:00 AM
5 Star Member

I understand what you're saying and I'm certainly not knocking the thread, I'm sure it will be very informative to a lot of people especially with some responses. However, a full set up can be acquired for a lot cheaper.

A quick example of this would be my 6x2x2 setup. The viv cost me £210 delivered on legs. The legs cost me an extra £50 pretty much and delivery was £45 so if you subtract these two, in the cheapest instances (if you could collect) the viv would have been a little over £100 brand new. This was a now expired offer from Volly vivs but it just goes to show that if you shop around you can often grab a bargain.

A stat is then the users prerogative. You don't NEED one however I admit they can be very helpful especially for beginners. Well include one at £40 for arguments sake.

Then Arcadia T5 at £60.

All decor can be found for free or very cheap, you don't need to pay for pieces of wood, tiles or off cuts can often be sourced free of charge or again very cheap. No need to buy reptile branded bowls, believe it or not they do the same job as any bowl, ceramic ash trays or similar are often popular choices at a couple of pound a pop.

Finally, you need your heating and digital thermometers, £3 roughly for a bulb another £5 for ceramic bulb holder, wiring and plug and £10 on a pair of thermometers.

So a grand total of £223, call it £235 to cover any delivery on equipment.

Granted there would be an extra cost if you needed to have the viv delivered, however im right down the south of Wales so I imagine £45 delivery was more towards the top end of the scale. Remember this is a 6x2x2.

You then have an extra £200 to put towards vet bills, supplements and livefoods!

Like I said, not knocking your post. With other people's input threads like this are often extremely informative.

Last edited by tomcannon; 29-03-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
I understand what you're saying and I'm certainly not knocking the thread, I'm sure it will be very informative to a lot of people especially with some responses. However, a full set up can be acquired for a lot cheaper.

A quick example of this would be my 6x2x2 setup. The viv cost me £210 delivered on legs. The legs cost me an extra £50 pretty much and delivery was £45 so if you subtract these two, in the cheapest instances (if you could collect) the viv would have been a little over £100 brand new. This was a now expired offer from Volly vivs but it just goes to show that if you shop around you can often grab a bargain.

A stat is then the users prerogative. You don't NEED one however I admit they can be very helpful especially for beginners. Well include one at £40 for arguments sake.

Then Arcadia T5 at £60.

All decor can be found for free or very cheap, you don't need to pay for pieces of wood, tiles or off cuts can often be sourced free of charge or again very cheap. No need to buy reptile branded bowls, believe it or not they do the same job as any bowl, ceramic ash trays or similar are often popular choices at a couple of pound a pop.

Finally, you need your heating and digital thermometers, £3 roughly for a bulb another £5 for ceramic bulb holder, wiring and plug and £10 on a pair of thermometers.

So a grand total of £223, call it £235 to cover any delivery on equipment.

Granted there would be an extra cost if you needed to have the viv delivered, however im right down the south of Wales so I imagine £45 delivery was more towards the top end of the scale. Remember this is a 6x2x2.

You then have an extra £200 to put towards vet bills, supplements and livefoods!

Like I said, not knocking your post. With other people's input threads like this are often extremely informative.
I totally agree with you Tom and agree it can be sourced a lot cheaper i'm just kinda fussy with putting a lot of branded things in. When i didnt have the branded dishes etc i used a f10 disinfected plate from the kitchen for example.

I stated what i actually paid out and for beginers i think a stat is an absolute must. You dont need slate tiles either for example in fact you can well use kitchen towel or repti carpet (Although the repti carpet worked out about the same as the slate lol). The slate and rocks etc can be sourced at other means however living in an old cattle town thats hard to get hold of with no quarry's nearby me!

I appreciate everyones input on this thread as i am new to owning a bearded as i never intended to get one as i said before but i could not leave him in his state he was in. It goes against my nature (Next time i will just have to say no as i do not have the room!)

My intention of the thread is to make people think twice about getting a bearded dragon and actually do the proper research for it.
As you know Boris was kept in the below conditions befor ei rescued him!

2.5ft fish tank with fish tank lid
Sides and back left uncovered
No thermostat on heat bulb
No digital thermometers only 1 analogue disc one stuck in the back centre of the tank.
A standard office florescent tube providing very little or NO UV benefit at all!
He was on calcium sand substrate as well.

This is the type of situation i am trying to avoid reptiles being kept in
Rogue665 likes this.

Gary
Sandy
Patty
To be named
Boris
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
Mac

Old 29-03-2013, 11:23 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramen View Post
I totally agree with you Tom and agree it can be sourced a lot cheaper i'm just kinda fussy with putting a lot of branded things in. When i didnt have the branded dishes etc i used a f10 disinfected plate from the kitchen for example.

I stated what i actually paid out and for beginers i think a stat is an absolute must. You dont need slate tiles either for example in fact you can well use kitchen towel or repti carpet (Although the repti carpet worked out about the same as the slate lol). The slate and rocks etc can be sourced at other means however living in an old cattle town thats hard to get hold of with no quarry's nearby me!

I appreciate everyones input on this thread as i am new to owning a bearded as i never intended to get one as i said before but i could not leave him in his state he was in. It goes against my nature (Next time i will just have to say no as i do not have the room!)

My intention of the thread is to make people think twice about getting a bearded dragon and actually do the proper research for it.
As you know Boris was kept in the below conditions befor ei rescued him!

2.5ft fish tank with fish tank lid
Sides and back left uncovered
No thermostat on heat bulb
No digital thermometers only 1 analogue disc one stuck in the back centre of the tank.
A standard office florescent tube providing very little or NO UV benefit at all!
He was on calcium sand substrate as well.

This is the type of situation i am trying to avoid reptiles being kept in
And so you should too! Just wouldn't want to put any potential owners off a brilliant reptile.

The most important thing isn't the cost its the knowledge. I'd say more rescue reps are a result of uneducated people purchasing on a whim as apposed to people not realising the full costs... Or both!
dramen likes this.

Old 29-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
And so you should too! Just wouldn't want to put any potential owners off a brilliant reptile.

The most important thing isn't the cost its the knowledge. I'd say more rescue reps are a result of uneducated people purchasing on a whim as apposed to people not realising the full costs... Or both!
Again totally agree they are brilliant reptiles. I love my leos but they are so much more interactive than my leos.
Boris will sit quite happily on my shoulder watching me at the computer till he gets bored and he jumps off onto the bed and goes for a wander or climbs the curtains (My pc is in the bedroom and i sit on the bed to use it and its also along the wall where the curtains are. He always has a soft landing but i watch him in case he goes too high up).
The only bad thing is when he decides he wants off the bed and back onto my shoulder as he cant quiet jump that high. Kinda painful if i am only wearing a thin top
Rogue665 likes this.

Gary
Sandy
Patty
To be named
Boris
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
Mac

Old 29-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Citizen

very good informative thread will help a lot of people
dramen likes this.

1st YummyMummy

Emz
Old 29-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Ultra Citizen

Good thread if your going to get any animal not just a beardie you should never buy what's the cheapest in terms of equipment, vivs etc you should buy right at the right price even if that is more plus you will normally find if you do it right the first time then its only bulbs, food, supplements you have to buy from then on in making it cheaper in the long run

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2
dramen likes this.
Old 30-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Regular

Love this thread. I so wish I had found this forum before buying Hagrid. The best I had is about 72358293 different care sheets from google who ALL said contradicting stuff and my knowledge from what I learned at college about them.

Hagrid (who was originally called Spike) wasn't in too bad condition...
4x2x2 viv, reptile basking log, hide, alfalfa substrate and a UV light that goes from one side of the viv to the other, the lady I got her off had no idea what name brand it was, and told me she'd had it in there for as long as she had had her (which was 2 and a half years)

I've since removed the substrate and replaced with newspaper and then slate on the top of that, replaced the basking light bulb (atleast 3 times already because it keeps blowing! ) and a Arcadia T5 UV.

I moved her basking log so she could climb it and get close to the bulb because it was literally just like 4" off the floor, SO not close enough, and moved her hide. It was a LOT of messing around to get her temperatures right but this forum has helped a LOT. I think Hagrid is happy now

Love this thread, though. Really informative. Beardies ARE expensive (most of my wages have gone toward her since I got her January) but, it's worth it to see them happy and thriving in my humble opinion, that said... It's something that has to be considered before just going out and buying one on a spontaneous spree

This probably wasn't even relevant, I just wanted to talk about Hagrid, sorry
dramen likes this.

I overuse the exclamation mark a lot, I'm not shouting, just excited!
Old 31-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Regular

Great post but whoa on the price!

i joined this forum before i got me beardie
i followed Toms advise but with a 4*2*2 viv from local reptile shop
along with the t5
the rest i got from swell reptiles delivered and also surrey pet supplies i collected from the latter

and was almost 200 quid less than what your quoting !

then add £30 for beardie as i got him from a breader not a shop....

feed i dont count in any animal i buy as it has to be fed(if you cant afford the feed dont buy the animal),wether permiting i mail order crickets in...if its too cold for ordering in food, i then go to local reptile shops which is always dearer but i know will survive the trip home.....

so basicly what im saying is im glad i joined this forum and Toms advice and not gone with what the local reptile shops said to use,beacuse then id have been in the price range your qouting !!
tomcannon likes this.