General Advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 11-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Egg
Default General Advice

Hi all,

I got my first exotic pet yesterday, a male bearded dragon, which I called Sheldon.

I purchased a bearded dragon home for life set up from pets at home. I have a couple of questions I need advice on.

1 I have 2% bulb, a 10% bulb and 100w basking light, do I need a thermostat ? And if so what is the best to get and do I plug all lights into it ?

2 The shop I got I'm from has fed him on a diet of locusts, meal worm and rocket leaves. He is happily taking the locusts off tweezers but won't entertain the meal worm or leaves, what should I do ?

3 He doesn't seem to go near his water bowl, should I be concerned ?

Thanks in advance for your help, as a new owner I would hate to do something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Ultra Citizen

where to start... haha pets at home not great but thats another issue

whats the 2% bulb hun ? strip light? u have a 10% strip and 2%strip?

its very early so dont worry about the eating/not eating ,someeat greens all time,other s occassionally ,some never .

lets try work out exactly what equipment you have

a uv strip light,10%? and a controller unit for it??

a 100w day /"sun" bask spot lamp?

no stat for the bask light? you will defo need a stat, 100w bulb in the heat of summer will be too hot,much too hot id imagine

a pulse stat or dimmer stat is essential for a beardie,but theres a few options of what bulb power, and where to put probe etc. its not as easy as is sometimes made out,depending on house temps etc but am sure we can all help you figure it

-so what is the 2% a bulb or strip?
-and defo order or buy today,a pulse or dimer stat,preferably habistat but others are available
-you will need a good digital thermometer,idealy with 2 probe things . the dial ones are useless
Old 11-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Egg

Both 2% & 10% are strip lights.

Vivexotic Viva Reptile Kit HTML

This is the set up I bought, didn't buy the dragon from pets at home, bought him from an exotic pet shop in St Helens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Ultra Citizen

i have no idea why they gave ya a 2% ,really no idea. unless they give it for bbrumation .maybe somone else can answer that

you have the thermometers then so you just need a stat ,and its hard to know where to put probe for the sat. see this where it gets a little complex. that 100w bulb -most people use a less powerful bulb, all depends n ya house temps etc

but you aiming for 42-43c bask spot ,some like it a little cooler some a little warmer , a 24-28c cool end , most care sheets say cooler for babies -in fact-how old is beardie,think slighy diff temps needed for baby
ambient temps is meant to be around 32-35c

but in warm weather,a 100w bulb,on ,full all time will potentially be dangerouns for the beardie ,especially in the real hot spells we had

have you measured what temps you are getting with the 100w bulb on full-direct underneath,where the beardie will be basking

just need a stat and youll be all set i think
Old 11-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Ultra Citizen

that kit,says "Dimensions (mm): Width 1150, Depth 490, Height 434 (1079 including optional cabinet)
Not suitable for bearded dragon hatchlings under 20cms in total length."

not sure why thatd be,beardies are fine in full vivs. unless it due to the bask temps and the babies need it a little cooler and that set up without stat means theyd overheat
Old 11-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Premier Citizen

you need a dimming stat, as a pulse one will flash on and off, not good for you or the animal, a dimmer one will dim when it gets to hot in there, your probe needs to be in the cool end as it is there to safe guard the cool end temp, if your temps get too high it needs a safe area to go.

You may need to reduce the 100w bulb, place it above the BD and measure the temp if too high you can either try and move it further away to reduce the heat hitting the BD if that is still not enough then you need to buy a lower wattage bulb.

After you get the correct basking temp, you need to check your cool end temp, if that is fine then job done, if not then you need to go back to your basking bulb and play around with that, either reducing the wattage again and moving the bulb nearer the animal if possible but not so close it can touch it, you are aiming to have the basking bulb on most of the time without the stat kicking in too much to dim it to lower the cool end temp, as if the basking temp is not at full temp most of the time, the BD is not getting the temps it needs.

Remember tho that the cool end is the most important as it will keep your BD alive if the temps go up to much, so place the stat there to the temp you need, you only need the basking bulb in the stat as the uv light will not give off much heat.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

good catch mate haha sorry im tired n dealing with ceramics at mo with pulse stats ,pulse stat n bulb is a no-go!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Egg
Default thanks

Thank you for the help and advice, will set about changing the bulbs etc trow.

Temp in warm end is 85f and in cool end 75f at the minute.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Egg

Beardie is an 8mths old male.

Have read a couple of books and these seem to contradict each other, so I thought I would ask people who have set ups that are running fine and that have experience.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM
5 Star Member

Where are you taking these temps and what with? This is my main concern for now. A unstatted 100w bulb in a viv that size will likely be far too much. I'd imagine your basking spot is sky high. Get a digital thermometer probe under your basking spot and see what is says. Rather than try to cover everything at once its easier to take it on step at a time, best starting with temps.

Tags
bearded dragons