bulk calcium and vit/mineral instead of repashy - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 18-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Hatchling
Default bulk calcium and vit/mineral instead of repashy

does anyone in the uk buy a few kilos of vit/min powder like vionate and then calcium powder similar to osteo form sa?

it seems most use repashy calcium plus, but at 24 quid for less that half a kilo, its very expensive consider in the us vionate is about 50 quid for 5kg!!

any other options?

im going to a place monday that make bird and dog powders of vit/min & calcium sorts, wondering if any of them will do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Gold Star Member

It's the price it is because it's the best on the market, plus the logistics involved in getting it over from the US.

I wouldn't even be able to begin to tell you if what you're suggesting is a good substitute. I don't know the science, ingredients, etc etc.

I don't consider Repashy expensive for what it does and the results I've seen.
Artisan likes this.

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.
Old 18-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Citizen

you can't go wrong with repashy and it's not expensive, £9 for six months is cheap.

Old 18-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Hatchling

The £9 for 6 months is very broad tbh, considering not knowing the amount of Leo's I keep!
Albeit I do only have a few, but you get my drift, I just don't see the logic of saying a kilo of repashy at the same price as 5 kilos of vionate can compare when they both do the same job, end of the day you're paying for the name with those price differences, maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the 16oz of repashy at this time, but if I start keeping more and needing more there has to be other alternatives in the uk surely? That's only reason I ask
Old 18-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Gold Star Member
Default bulk calcium and vit/mineral instead of repashy

There are other alternatives, like Nutrobol. But Repashy is unique in being and all in one supplement designed specifically for reptiles. No need to mess around with quantities or which day was what. You don't need a lot per dusting either, it's a lot more 'sticky' than others on the market.

Other products you'll see on the market are based on very old, outdated formulas. I think Nutrobol is unchanged for about 13 years now. Repashy is constantly tweaked for best results.

The other issue here is if you buy too much and it lasts too long then a lot of the contents will dissipate. Keeping the supplement refrigerated can extend the D3 content but once it's opened it starts going and gives the product about 3 months optimal use. So really you wouldn't want to be stock piling too much.

Like I say I think on the whole Repashy is best, that's not to say similar results can't be produced from other products, just more effort involved, hence the cheaper price.

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.
Old 18-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Hatchling

Ahh right I get you, didn't know about the "best before" values etc too, probably over thinking on my behalf of ending up with a tonne of Leo's anytime soon when in reality this time next year I'll probably still only have a handful anyway!
Appreciate the responses though,

I take it you mean repashy is good to go with every feed then, rather than worrying about overdoing it if I don't miss a dusting like you would with straight vits etc?
Old 18-08-2013, 07:24 PM
5 Star Member

well at this moment i have 30 + leo and been using repashy for the last 2 years i never use anything else now as the results i had are too good its worth every penny and 64g bag is £60 keep it in the fridge and have a tub i top up as and when i need it last ages and no mixing or this one day that another

Paul
Old 18-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhopper View Post
The £9 for 6 months is very broad tbh, considering not knowing the amount of Leo's I keep!
Albeit I do only have a few, but you get my drift, I just don't see the logic of saying a kilo of repashy at the same price as 5 kilos of vionate can compare when they both do the same job, end of the day you're paying for the name with those price differences, maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the 16oz of repashy at this time, but if I start keeping more and needing more there has to be other alternatives in the uk surely? That's only reason I ask
Im sure brand name has something to do with pricing, as it always does, but I think the majority of what you are paying for is research in this case. Repashy does a very large amount of their own independent research to come up with these proportions and they consistently show great results. Vionate is a dog and cat supplement, designed for such. What proportions would you mix it for your lizards with the calcium? How often and much would you supplement? No matter what you say, it would all be conjecture and you 'testing' that conjecture on your reptiles. So I would say its best to spend the little bit extra (24 quid a year is much less than the cost of another leo) and be sure you and your reptiles are getting what they need.

There are definitely times where you can get something non reptile brand and save yourself the money. For instance, buying soil at the garden centre, or plastic plants at the hardware store, etc. Vitamins are one of those things thats not best to skimp on though.
Old 18-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Hatchling

Repashy it is then!

How do you decide on amounts to sprinkle? Grammage, teaspoon etc, when talking about for example mealworms per baby/juvenile/adult etc
Old 18-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhopper View Post
Repashy it is then!

How do you decide on amounts to sprinkle? Grammage, teaspoon etc, when talking about for example mealworms per baby/juvenile/adult etc
put a little in a tub add the livefeed give a good shake, tip out the livefood, save the reminder repashy in the tub if you added too much.

Tags
calcium , minerals , osteo form sa , vionate , vitamins