lizard hides all day - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Egg
Default lizard hides all day

Hey guys, when I first got my uromastyx he stayed out all day and he ate all day. He use to cycle between the top of his hide, the top of his mushroom ledge(both right under the warm zone) and go to the cold side occasionally, sometimes glass dancing(he'd return almost immediately to the ledge if his heat was turned off, he USE to glass dance frequently all around) but mostly to eat.
Spending most of his time as close to the heat source(100W CHM) as he could get, often standing up high to get within a couple of inches of the heater. Lately he's been spending all day in his hide. He started spending less and less time out(out until 5 or 6pm every day when I got him in march, down to 4 by august, now he's in his hide by the time I get home,3 on weekdays and 11am-1pm on weekends, If he's out when i get back on the weekends between 11 and 1 he looks at me, and moves under his hide as if I were a threat pretty much straight away) he started spending almost ALL DAY INSIDE after i went on vacation(and moved him, while still in the tank, to my grandparent's for a week in august then back) or around the time school started up(I can't remember). He poops by 10 or 11 every day, he usually eats a big handful(as much as could fit into one hand without losing any) of curly endive.I give him calcium on saturdays and every other wednesday. It's calcium day and I just got back at 1, he was lounging and went back into his hide when I got home. I gave him a brussels sprout to try and he hasn't touched it, nor has he touched his calcium covered escarole that I lightly misted.
His temp is set to 90 degrees f(~32c) in the day, and it usually gets there in the summer, it's getting to around 80-85(bout 26.5-29.5 degrees c), I set it to about 70(~21 degrees c) at night. His uvb is timed 6:52am-6:52pm. He usually eats curly endive, he's been eating escarole this week.
Humidity has been high since spring-summer ish(to the best of my knowledge apart from drying of the heat there's nothing that can be done about that), it's 45% now
His tank has no background
Any ideas what's going on? I never see him much anymore and I'm wondering why. I'm worried that he may get unhealthy or something may be wrong. He seems fairly hydrated and strong, since I got him he shed once, his head seems somewhat grey most of the shed on his back is still there, coming off towards the bottom of his back and a little around the sides but still on like skin over most of his back. His underbelly is very vibrant, just as it was when he was purchased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Super Citizen

sounds like he might have some stuck shed, and is staying in the hide as it is the most humid place. someone more familiar with the species will have to help more than i can, can / do you bath them for example?
Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Egg

Also I just picked up his hide to examine him, he wanders around where his hide was, simply weary of my hand cleaning some old greens and a little bit of white poop from inside(dont usually move his hide because he's usually in there), moving in the direction of the hide, which i place on the other side of the tank. After I had an examine i took the hide again(which he was starting to crawl under) and moved it back to its usual position, he's now inside again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeSparo View Post
sounds like he might have some stuck shed, and is staying in the hide as it is the most humid place. someone more familiar with the species will have to help more than i can, can / do you bath them for example?
The uromastyx is a desert species, misting is advised against even during sheds, bathing is VERY advised against. The only reason i mention misting is because it was about 5-10 points high when he shed in the first place and has been about 10-20 points above ideal for almost all summer(except sometimes during the middle of the day after the che dried it out a bit) Also he has no liquid water, this seems sort of odd, and wrong to my mom lol, but I've looked and every time I've been advised against giving them liquid water unless they were sick or dehydrated or something, when he's out I've been watching his back feet, which haven't shed

dont know how much it would impact humidity but I assumed since his hide was in the warm side and his food(the only thing misted, and usually only before putting it in the tank, otherwise careful not to mist the tank itself) was on the cool side, so all in all I'd imagine the cool side would be more humid, but it probably still would be more humid in the hide IDK

Last edited by Torstrum; 05-10-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Egg

His morning routine has remained largely unchanged, he crawls out in the morning, climbbs up an angled log(tied in place) to his ledge, lounges there, poops, around now it's like 9:30-10:30, about then he moves the lounging to his hide)a greyish blackish cave made of resin, which is lower in the tank and eats usually all his food(he didnt eat by the time I got home today, I gave him calcium escarole(as opposed to saturday's usual calcium curly endive) and I gave him some brussels sprouts to try out each separate dishes , and usually once I get home, whether at my usual 11 am on saturdays or later at 1 as I did today after the SATs it seems to be his queue to go back inside for THE REST OF THE DAY)

Last edited by Torstrum; 05-10-2013 at 07:55 PM..
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Super Citizen

I'm really not sure, ask on here:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...hread-108.html

and you might get some better help
Torstrum likes this.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Super Citizen

for a start your temps are far too low, his basking spot needs to be up around 120f-130f or higher, the humidity isnt that big an issue as they will have humidity in the wild under ground and there would be rain showers every so often. if all you feed is endive or escarole then you need to start adding a lot more to his diet. have a look at both links in my signature, one will bring you to deer fern farms and there is a great care sheet on there, the other brings you to moon valley reptiles and it breaks their diet down to the elements in each type of food and how often they should get them.

do you know what kind of uro he is? any chance of getting some pictures even if you need to remove his hide just to take them. id also advise you to weigh him and keep a good eye on it. you can give him a bath and he could have a bowl of water if hes dehydrated/ill but a lot of them wont drink standing water. the important thing when bathing them is to dry them fully especially in their tail whorls, again though its only if hes dehydrated.

Uromastyx Species Here
Uromastyx Diet Here
Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Egg

OH YES OF COURSE

I forgot to mention he is on quikrete play sand, I kept it on the enclosed for a few days when I needed more before moving his tank(my parents put it out there because I didn't quite have the tank and it wasn't out of the way enough for my mom) after I did I noticed an earwig(which i've noticed on the porch) dead in his food bowl, I haven't seen one since and I scoop the tank regularly but I only sifted and searched through the sand, never replaced it. I assume a lone bastard found his way into the sand, and then crawled into the hospitable(wet, cool, dark, full of plant matter, by desert terrarium standards) food dish, probably dried up that day, he wasn't bit or crushed so I don't think my lizard killed it, it didn't at all seem like the 2 came into contact, but I'm no lizard professional
Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Super Citizen

double post

Uromastyx Species Here
Uromastyx Diet Here
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by salanky View Post
for a start your temps are far too low, his basking spot needs to be up around 120f-130f or higher, the humidity isnt that big an issue as they will have humidity in the wild under ground and there would be rain showers every so often. if all you feed is endive or escarole then you need to start adding a lot more to his diet. have a look at both links in my signature, one will bring you to deer fern farms and there is a great care sheet on there, the other brings you to moon valley reptiles and it breaks their diet down to the elements in each type of food and how often they should get them.

do you know what kind of uro he is? any chance of getting some pictures even if you need to remove his hide just to take them. id also advise you to weigh him and keep a good eye on it. you can give him a bath and he could have a bowl of water if hes dehydrated/ill but a lot of them wont drink standing water. the important thing when bathing them is to dry them fully especially in their tail whorls, again though its only if hes dehydrated.
thanks a lot, I get an 80 measure is from below the ledge(which I think blocks some heat, it's not the best place for the probe and actually I'll move it now after I test the basking spot) on the hot side, at the elevation he would be at when on the ground. The controller set to 90 is about midway between the hot and cold zone, its usually set to 90 when he wants to bask in the summer and it would turn off to early, it use to be at 85ish for a midpoint, the idea being he could usually bask in th hot basking spot and not fry if it's a hot day. The thermostat never turns of above around 85ish anymore because it's getting colder.How would I go about wieghing him? Could i put him in a weight boat on a tiny scale like one would weigh... say mary jane on? He's orange with greyish black speckles, apart from that I don't really know Also the guy I bought it from said he hatched him, fed him on romaine, sold it to a guy that fed it on romaine and then sold it back to him when he moved, and suggested romain instead of iceberg for feeding, it that's all true(that's what the guy said) then I THOUGHT i was doing him a real favor by giving him collard greens and then curly endive(when at some point I found that somehow it was superior, I dont even remember D: ) Ill get a pic but my ipod sucks

I pulled him out while I was at it, he wasn't impressively warm O: <- exasperated worry face. I put him in near his food he went right back to the hide D: I have a 60 dollar hundred watt heater, why isn't that enough to warm the tank up more than a few degrees above the normal temp, the basking spot is only 100 D: at least he still seems to be a big fat health lizard

Last edited by Torstrum; 05-10-2013 at 09:19 PM..

Tags
behavior , hide , uromastyx , weird , wrong