Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopard gecko Enrichment/Shelving and Platforms - "HOW TO" thread

46K views 364 replies 39 participants last post by  Artisan 
#1 · (Edited)
Me and Retrobangs thought it might be a good idea to make this thread to help anyone wanting to know how to create extra floor space in vivs/enrichment/exercise/adventure/exploration areas for leos.

It's not a new concept but you would be surprised at how many people don't consider doing this. It can open up a whole new dimension to your leo's life plus gives you enjoyment observing them explore.

"Leo's aren't the best of climbers....." I heard this again and again when I started keeping them, but I decided to go ahead and make shelves anyway ....Only to find that contrary to popular belief....they were really quite good climbers and didn't fall off or ignore the shelves as I had been warned.

They infact love to climb and explore as they are very inquisitive lizards.

I have loads of leo's, all housed on their own, own vivs....all my vivs have shelves and platforms in...I have a lot of happy leo's!

Have had dozens of people PM me asking how it's done so wrote this how to thread a few months ago to help people ...but never actually got round to putting it up.

Anyways....i'm posting the first lot of ideas and how to's up here and anyone who would like to add to them with your own pictures and ideas...feel free, Also if anyone has any questions on how to do things/where to buy stuff/what products to use....just post!

LEOPARD GECKO ENRICHMENT

These are a few tips on easy simple ways that some of you might find handy if like me...you like to offer your geckos a stimulating enviroment with plenty of things to do/explore and to create extra floor space /dimentions in the way of shelves and platforms.

I use anything from pre-made shelves bought from shops. (i throw away all the fittings and brackets that come with them) to pieces of wood from old cupboards/tv stands/cabinates etc - and i use small L shaped brackets from most DIY places. I use 2 of these for each shelf needed.

I use yacht varnish to coat the pre-made shelves as these are usually made from pine and this is toxic to reptiles.

Two coats usually seals them up a treat!

Then you can either mark up where they are going in your vivarium and fix them in place - or you can cover them in lino or use a nice textured spray paint or normal paint...If using paint, do this BEFORE varnishing.

For platforms i use normal cork backed dinner table place mats, These can be bought cheaply from lots of places if you shop around. Mine cost me £2.99 for 4.

You will also need a good old game of JENGA. The pieces in this game are all uniform size and are to be the legs of our removable platforms.

I have spray painted some of mine with a nice stone effect paint and given them two coats of varnish.

Others i have left plain and just varnished them.

Drill some holes in the corners and screw a leg on each corner using our jenga pieces. You can then varnish the legs.

My geckos LOVE their extra climbing places and exploring them is a boredom breaker/keeps them fit/encourages natural hunting & stalking behaviour as they have fun chasing down their prey.

Will add more of my own pics when i find them or take more :2thumb:

See less See more
#4 ·
Artisans is right and she inspired me in my early viv days to create my own little master pieces, Leo's do love climbing, will utilise the extra space and will not jump off the edge - give them some credit, falling is different thats why out ledges have one or more ways up and down for safety :)

heres the progression of my projects so far:

Project Number 1 - the 3ft viv for Leeloo my 12 month old Leo

Forum DIY Vivs post

I have a vivarium thread in lizards but thought I would bring the joy to the main forum so everyone can share their pictures and ideas

Heres mine to start off with, from beginning to their current final glory:

starting out 2.5ft vivexotic and no reptile yet

Leeloo _ Leopard gecko, lived in the 2.5ft for a month and then moved in to this:

drawing up ideas for a 3ft

Buying and building my 3ft - me and my bf like to DIY at weekends lol

Adding some night, feeding lighting

continuing to add accessories and plants until it is perfection

A little bit of press LOL

More plants and wood - I have a leo buying habit

Adding the final touches...

finally the viv lights don't just go blue, so when the rooms dark on a winters day I can still add some daylight

and here's my mess on top of the viv lol

#5 ·
Here is what I decided to do with the 2.5ft because I already had cravings to fill with another little leo

Leo is Alura, to make the smaller viv so now some DIY to make this a home and at xmas she will be going in to a 3ft (that will be my next project)

Remember I started with this:

Adding a second level and buying some bits

Getting more busy - they both love more stuff to hide in and climb

her little coconut is far too small but I couldn't bear to make her part with it as she is soooo attached, hence all the other hides lol

Soon Alura will be moving into a 3ft like Leeloo and the DIY shall again commence :)

Hope everyone enjoys the pictures and if anyone wants to ask me and Artisan questions feel free, we can recommend good sites to buy, places to pick u DIY goos and save yourself a hunk of money. It's really not an expensive project once you have the vivarium :)

#6 ·
I'm loving the ash tray used in one of these setups lol

#13 ·
Sorry Lukosis I didn't see your post :gasp:

I use quick dry varnish as retro said. I get it from wilkinsons.....in fact I get ALL my shelf making things from wilkinsons...brackets/screws/shelves/varnish/paint brush/tiny drill bits/textured spray paint etc - the only things I get elsewhere are the cork backed placemats and drinks coasters....B&M, and the jenga legs....ebay : victory:

#11 ·
I use these for food bowls....same size as the brown proper mealie dishes you can buy...but deeper, Mealies and morios cant get out....and neither can the odd dubia roach.

The geckos can see their food so it stimulates more...though out of all mine, I do have just one male who nearly knocks himself out trying to heat but through the glas....."Dante" has a special bowl that isn't see through lol.

I got mine from ASDA....two - £1, crème brulee - but I threw the puddings away as I cant stand the stuff :lol2:

50p a bowl is a real saving compared to the few quid you pay for one proper brown one. I bought quite a few packs : victory:

#92 ·
After reading this thread yesterday it made me want to give my Leo some levels in her viv, so today that is what I did... :D

[URL=http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b548/jademrvik/image_zpsa596572b.jpg]image[/URL]

Mimi checking out her new levels..

[URL=http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b548/jademrvik/image_zps3c9966ba.jpg]image[/URL]

Happy gecko... The smiley face on the side of her head says it all :2thumb:

[URL=http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b548/jademrvik/01ea8fa0-bc2b-4de4-b60f-0603411c18d5_zpsf0e86203.jpg]image[/URL]
hi, where did you get your tall grey skull ornament cave thing from? :blush:

#15 ·
love this thread, Artisan certainly inspired me to make levels in my vivs and gave me LOADS of advice, and Retro has been supe rhelpful as well so a big fat kiss to both of them : victory:
Ralph loves his shelves and driftwood - Siri is too new to be adventurous yet but it'll come for sure. Hers still needs more stuff, plants etc but it'll do for now.

I heard a really odd scratchy noisy from Ralph's viv today... He was trying to climb the sprouty-looking plant!! His upper body got there but the tail and lower legs didn't make it... Hilarious, he has def got the climbing bug!! :)

Here's what my vivs look like more or less, want to add corner units to both of them as well :)

Ralph's viv and him enjoying it :)

before the driftwood on the left was put in:

took this before I had sorted the moist hide properly, put thermometer etc in and before Siri arrived so it looks a bit half finished... cos it is! ;)

#22 ·
love this thread, Artisan certainly inspired me to make levels in my vivs and gave me LOADS of advice, and Retro has been supe rhelpful as well so a big fat kiss to both of them : victory:
Ralph loves his shelves and driftwood - Siri is too new to be adventurous yet but it'll come for sure. Hers still needs more stuff, plants etc but it'll do for now.

I heard a really odd scratchy noisy from Ralph's viv today... He was trying to climb the sprouty-looking plant!! His upper body got there but the tail and lower legs didn't make it... Hilarious, he has def got the climbing bug!! :)

Here's what my vivs look like more or less, want to add corner units to both of them as well :)

Ralph's viv and him enjoying it :)

[URL=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t629/tyl1211/P1080651_zpsd9b9197c.jpg]image[/URL]

[URL=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t629/tyl1211/P1080652_zpsd74ff33a.jpg]image[/URL]

[URL=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t629/tyl1211/P1080653_zps7bc72fd0.jpg]image[/URL]

[URL=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t629/tyl1211/P1080520_zps031b373f.jpg]image[/URL]

before the driftwood on the left was put in:

[URL=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t629/tyl1211/IMAG1717_zpsbb55d085.jpg]image[/URL]

took this before I had sorted the moist hide properly, put thermometer etc in and before Siri arrived so it looks a bit half finished... cos it is! ;)

[URL=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t629/tyl1211/P1080720_zpse60081d6.jpg]image[/URL]
Oh Tilly you're too kind. Ralph seems adventurous in his climbing just like my Leelo. You have lovely vivs bet you're proud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#16 ·
:2thumb: Awesome guys !

Really nice to see so many smiley leo's enjoying their adventure play grounds :D

#18 ·
#21 ·
How lovely to see all these pics of happy leos investing their new shelves and gaining extra space at a cheap cost. Well done Artisan :) I love the idea of using the place mats upside down, very creative

Reactions: Artisan
#24 ·
How nice of you to say....but I can't take full credit for the platforms with jenga legs.....my good friend Lovlight had the jenga brain wave when we where brainstorming the whole idea of removable platforms ages ago :D she doesn't get on here as much as she used to......so I speak for both of us with these awesome ideas :2thumb:

Reactions: samurai
#26 ·
Amazing stuff :) Glad so many people are being inspired to make their geckos lives so much more interesting.......WE'VE STARTED A REVOLOUTION PEOPLE!!!! :no1:

#28 ·
As soon as me and Luke have sorted out the move we are putting shelves in for our Leos. Got to say I'm impressed at how tidy all the decor is no matter what I put in for my male Toby and how long I spend on it he will have rearanged tipped over or somehow destroyed it by morning:lol2:
-Chels

Reactions: Artisan
#30 ·
Don't forget to post pics :)

#31 ·
Hey :)

Thanks for this :)
i saw this thread last night and started getting the bits ready to start today!

i am appaling at DIY but heres what i've done:

The Start, i have spent no money as we had everything ineeded at home:

first i cut out the Lino to the size of my main shelf:

Then i marked out the legs on the extra wooden dowels i had, i have gone for 3 sizes, 3 inches, 7 inches and 9 inches.

The Smallest leg is for the overlapping of the tallest shelf onto the middle level.

Then i Painted the Legs Black with Matt Black paint i used to paint my bedroom door.

while it is drying i cut out the rest of the lino for the tops of the shelving.

and then i varnished the corkbark backs of the placemats

and now i am waiting for it all to dry and after the paint has dried i will varnish the legs and drill the holes in the mats ready to beput together, thne i will leave it over night to dry and the odor the disepate and i will put in tomorrow! :D im all excited! :p

Thanks for the guide! and enjoy! :D

#32 ·
Hey :)

Thanks for this :)
i saw this thread last night and started getting the bits ready to start today!

i am appaling at DIY but heres what i've done:

The Start, i have spent no money as we had everything ineeded at home:

first i cut out the Lino to the size of my main shelf:

Then i marked out the legs on the extra wooden dowels i had, i have gone for 3 sizes, 3 inches, 7 inches and 9 inches.

The Smallest leg is for the overlapping of the tallest shelf onto the middle level.

Then i Painted the Legs Black with Matt Black paint i used to paint my bedroom door.

while it is drying i cut out the rest of the lino for the tops of the shelving.

and then i varnished the corkbark backs of the placemats

and now i am waiting for it all to dry and after the paint has dried i will varnish the legs and drill the holes in the mats ready to beput together, thne i will leave it over night to dry and the odor the disepate and i will put in tomorrow! :D im all excited! :p

Thanks for the guide! and enjoy! :D
Excellent! Amazing to see everyone taking these simple but gecko life changing ideas on board.

Im so proud of you all! :lol2:

Reactions: GeckoGecko
#35 ·
I have shelves in all my Boa vivs too.....snakes make just as much use of them :)

#41 ·
Very interesting thread. I love some of the ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.