FBH Newsletter - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > FBH Affiliated Societies / Groups / Clubs > FBH Affiliated Societies > M.A.H.I.C

Old 30-07-2012, 12:08 PM
FBH Liason
Default FBH Newsletter

Dear FBH Supporter,

Welcome to the first FBH newsletter.

This newsletter is sent each month to those who have subscribed to our mailing list and is posted here approximately a week after the first mail out.

If you would like to be first to receive the most up to dat enews about your hobby via the FBH, plase sign up for our newsletter by emailing us at [email protected]

Your link with the FBH
You will be pleased to hear that a new website is in development. The site aims to harness the support of hobbyists and to attract much needed donation funding to enable the FBH to protect our hobby. The site will be the primary resource for the latest news and all of the work the FBH is currently undertaking. In addition it will be a portal to enable hobbyists to engage with the FBH and its work by supporting societies, raising awareness and becoming actively involved by various methods. We expect the website to be live sometime in August.

Latest News
Most of you will be aware of the difficulties caused by anti-pet keeping extremists with regards the I.H.S. show in Doncaster this year. Having been successful in halting two smaller shows, the A.P.A. under Elaine Tolland exerted pressure upon the Doncaster local authority in an attempt to do the same there. In addition to bombarding the telephone and email communications of many local authority employees, the A.P.A. attempted to manipulate an ambiguous and out of date piece of law pertaining to the 1952 Pet Animals Act.

The process employed by the A.P.A. to stop shows has rarely been successful, as local authorities and venue operators are fully aware of the legal situation regarding reptile shows. The ambiguity of the law is widely understood and it is accepted that it cannot be applied to this type of event. However, Doncaster Council’s moves to constrain the event by exerting financial pressure on the venue left the I.H.S. with no choice but to go to court. Following a last minute court hearing and a race against time, we were extremely pleased that our case was upheld. The show went ahead with great success attracting the highest attendance figures in the event’s history. It has been said that we should thank Elaine Tolland for galvanising the reptile hobby and encouraging such a fabulous turnout on the day.

It is impossible to articulate the amount of work that was undertaken behind the scenes to ensure the show went ahead. I.H.S. event organiser Richard Brook should be on everyone’s Christmas card list for his mammoth achievement in ensuring that the doors opened on time. Chris Newman from the F.B.H. was once again Herculean in his efficiency, making great use of his political and legal experience and expertise. Similarly, every other active member of the I.H.S. who was there on the day should be praised for their hard work and determination, as without these people the show could not and would not have happened. I’d like to extend my personal thanks to each of these people and ask that everyone who receives this bulletin finds a way to express their gratitude too.

More show news.
The I.H.S. show was attended by no less than ten representatives and inspectors from the local authority. We have learned that approximately a third of the local authority’s annual budget was spent in attending and inspecting this single event. Given such a large expenditure it is not surprising that there is a massive focus and much pressure upon the local authority to be seen to be doing something. It comes as no surprise then that Doncaster Council is seeking to bring a prosecution against one of the breeders attending the meeting. Whilst we are very confident that there are absolutely no grounds for prosecution it is important that the details of this case are not discussed publicly, particularly online. The F.B.H. would like to urge supporters to refrain from doing so and await news of the outcome. We promise to bring you a special bulletin as soon as we know more, though this may be some months hence.

What happens now?
There is still much work to be done to ensure the continued success of reptile shows in the UK. The Doncaster show court case was the most advanced legal challenge the F.B.H. has ever faced and winning was a major boost to both our confidence and our political position. However, the case itself does not change the law as it stands and the future of shows is still under threat due to this ambiguity.

The I.H.S show went ahead because of the hard work and support shown by the whole of the reptile keeping community. The support received at the Doncaster show was astounding. From rallying support for our reptile societies to collecting F.B.H. donations from show attendees - everyone was eager and active in supporting their hobby. We need to build on the momentum of this support to ensure this continued success. There is still much work to be done and following our success at Doncaster it is likely that our opponents will increase the pressure.

What can I do?
Best regards

Tony
Head of Communications (EUARK and FBH)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-08-2012, 12:04 PM
FBH Liason

Hello all,

Please see below the latest FBH Newsletter for August 2012.
If you would like to recieve this newsletter before it appears here on the forums, please register on our NEW WEBSITE.

Federation of British Herpetologists - Reptiles for Life!

Be first to be informed!

Dear FBH Supporter,

Welcome to the FBH newsletter and particularly to those who have recently registered to receive these bulletins.

New Website
The big news this month is the launch of the new F.B.H. website.
You can see it by clicking HERE or following this link to www.fbh.org.uk
Please feedback to us with any problems you find on the site or with any suggestions you have to [email protected]
The new website represents a leap forward in functionality and efficiently for the F.B.H. and it wouldn’t have been possible without hard work, help and advice from F.B.H supporters. Please see the section below to find out who deserves a big pat on the back.

Forthcoming Events
The FBH breeders’ meeting takes place this Sunday (19th Aug) at Kempton Park.
Doors open at 10:30am to the public and 10:00am to members of affiliated societies.
Entrance to the show is £5

Address - Kempton Park Racecourse,
Staines Road East,
Sunbury on Thames,
Middlesex, TW165AQ

The next big reptile event for your diaries is the I.H.S. Breeders’ Meeting on Sunday 23rd September. Please see below for venue change information

Doncaster I.H.S. Breeders’ Meeting Venue Change
Following the issues endured at the last Breeders’ Meeting in June there has been a change of venue for the September event. While the I.H.S. has a contract with Doncaster Dome for the September show it was felt that a more permanent solution to the problem was preferable to another expensive court case. It is evident that the Dome is subject to immense pressure from several sources including the Local Authority and so a new venue under private ownership has been found. The move to Doncaster Racecourse presents several benefits for a show of this type, the most obvious being the increased visitor capacity. We hope you enjoy the show. We’re certainly looking forward to it immensely.

I.H.S. Breeder’s Meeting
Venue: Doncaster Racecourse
Leger Way
Doncaster
DN2 6BB
Tel: 01302 511 915
Date: Sunday 23rd September
Admission: Full Society Members - £2.50
Affiliate Members - £5.00
Doors: 10.15 – Full members
10.45 – Affiliate members

Big Thank You

As mentioned previously we have been overwhelmed by the support and good wishes from F.B.H. supporters. We would like to thank everyone who has stepped up, helped out or put their hand in their pocket over the last few months. There are far too many to name and we’re bound to have forgotten someone, but we’d like to specifically thank:
Adrian at www.treefrogmultimedia.com for the design and build of our splendid new website
Adam at www.procorns.co.uk for his technical wizardry and advice
Vivian Eleven for her tireless hard work researching and compiling info for the F.B.H. office.
Jennifer Paterson for her relentless letter writing and passionate advocacy of the F.B.H. mission
To Pet Business World magazine Pet Business Wholesale, Pet Wholesalers, Trade News & Jobs | PBW for the design and print of the FBH leaflets and Doncaster show programme

And finally, to the F.B.H. committee and to all of the active supporters who have helped out and donated. You know who you are. Your contributions mean a lot to us and help immensely. Thank you.

Tags
fbh , ihs , newsletter , tony jones