Is my snake big enough? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 27-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Egg
Question Is my snake big enough?

I have a male lavender corn snake who was hatched on 20/05/13 who was the runt of the litter called Larry, who has shed twice once on 04/10/13 and on 3/11/13. I am feeding him 3 pinkies once a week and he eats them really well but he's so small and I feel he should be bigger! Am I feeding him enough? And I don't know how to add a photo so I can't show you him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Postaholic Member
Reviews: 7
Send a message via MSN to Ophexis

Without a picture nobody can give you a definitive answer I'm afraid! Try following the instructions here:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...otobucket.html

0.1.0 H. Caudicinctus - "Panya"
0.1.0 R. Auriculatus "Lotus"
1.1.0 F. Catus - "Dudley" and "Kitten"
1.1.0 C. lupus familiaris - "Jazzy" and "Gizmo"

Sleep well Toby, you will always be my special boy 15/08/2010, 5:15pm
Old 27-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Premier Citizen

if he can eat 3 pinkies in one go, its definitly time to move up a size or so.

pinkies are quite fatty and lacking in minerals, vitamins and other nutrients, compared to more mature mice, they are great for starting a snake off, but if yours can manage 3 pinkies, he's definitely ready for something bigger.

larger meals also will often trigger a growth spurt in younger snakes, if he has been eating well up until now, try him on something bigger, something around 1.5 times the size of the widest part of his body is a good start.
Herpster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-11-2013, 09:18 PM
5 Star Member

As above, definitely try larger prey. My July hatchling is now on large mice.

They do grow quite quickly once on larger prey.

National Reptile Awareness Day
Old 27-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Super Regular

I'd go to the local rep shop where u get mice and buy 5 of the next size up, see how he handles them, if the thickness of the mouse is around one and a half times the thickness of the snake or less you should be fine, if it regurges go back to smaller size till it gets abit bigger.
Growing slow wont hurt the snake and you might just have one of those snakes which is a slow grower but you shouldn't have to feed 3 pinkies in one sitting so a size up is what u most likely need.
Ask for some fuzzys and see how he gets on.
Keep us updated
Old 28-11-2013, 12:51 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophexis View Post
Without a picture nobody can give you a definitive answer I'm afraid! Try following the instructions here:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...otobucket.html
Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Ultra Citizen

As a rough guide keep prey items around 10 - 15%(max) of the snakes weight. This is just a rough guide but it should give you an idea what to aim for and when you should be moving up sizes. Most shops will clearly label prey sizes in grams so this is relatively easy to work out, if you keep a record of these weights as well you will be able to keep a good eye on the health of your snake.

All the best

Tim @ RS Reptile Supplies

Last edited by RS Reptile Supplies; 03-12-2013 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Made a whoopsie
Old 08-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Super Regular

Very difficult to answer without a picture however based on age i would actually suggest it would most likely take a small mouse by now especially if he is eating 3 pinkies a week. Even the most willing of feeders will reject food if you feeding them too much so definatly atleast try a fuzzy.

Tags
6 months , 7 months , size , snake