Leopard Geckos - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 29-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Regular

Yeah it's going to be on 2 levels. Want there warm hide on the top level and to fed them lower down so they have to exercise to get their dinner. On that note, mine will never come out and eat when I initially put the food in, sometimes is in there for couple of days before disappears. Is this cos I'm over feeding them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-01-2015, 05:54 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1983 View Post
Yeah it's going to be on 2 levels. Want there warm hide on the top level and to fed them lower down so they have to exercise to get their dinner. On that note, mine will never come out and eat when I initially put the food in, sometimes is in there for couple of days before disappears. Is this cos I'm over feeding them?

probably just getting used to their new home, and you'll have to go thru it all again when they move into the next one

leo's are generally active early morning and early evening, but if they are a bit nervous, they may wait till no one is about...give it a few weeks once they move into their new viv, and they should gain some confidence and they may come to eat as soon as they realize you are putting it in there

it is normal for them to go for a day or two without food sometimes, nothing to worry about, might be full, or shedding, or just taking a very long nap
Old 29-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Regular

I only feed them every two days anyway, usually 4 crickets and 2 large mealworms between them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Gold Star Member

they certainly look healthy so can't have been doing too badly what you have described as making sounds fab my guys all have 3 hides, 1 hot, 1 moist and 1 with kitchen roll under which they use as the 'toilet' (or at least they're supposed to) my stats give a temp of between 90-92... i find they like it a bit hotter all food is dusted with the repashy calcium plus. I'd keep mealworms in there at all times just incase they're shy. Tiling the floor sounds good, all of mine are on lino but i have slate in there too to add a bit of 'texture'. Lots of fake plants/vines etc are good. I personally use moss for the moist hides x
Trice and todd1983 like this.

Leopard Geckos - 5.10.0 - Lance, Thor, Gonzo, Magnus, Blaze, Emmi, Elektra, Faith, Tarene, Kenco, Digit, Harmony, Eryn, Daisy, Aine,
Bearded Dragons - 3.0.0- Dave, Tilly, Mylo
Oliver's Mummy
Old 30-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Regular

I think they're just lazy, if I put mealworms in when they're out then they will eat straight away. ...but crickets I've never seen either of them eat but they do dissappear so guessing it's a middle of the night feed. The girl without the spots on her back is shedding at the moment.....Nearly had heart failure when I see the colour of her but researched and explained why lol, that's how I came across this forum.

I did feed them locusts which would get eaten quickly but some of them would climb out of reach which the crickets don't seem to do, but read that locusts are better for them?
Old 31-01-2015, 01:23 AM
Regular

I've weighed the full spotted girl tonight, she's 69g. I will weigh the other girl when she's come out of her hide from shedding
Old 31-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Regular

She's all shed and fresh, the girl with no pattern on her back weighs 79g. .....are these healthy weights for 3yr old females?

Tags
leopard geckos