Recommended Easy Lizards - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 27-01-2016, 12:19 AM
Egg
Default Recommended Easy Lizards

Hello! I've been interested in reptiles for a year or to and decided to look into having one of my own. I took the obvious route and started looking into caring for Leopard Geckos. Problem is, insects. Beyond being squeamish about them the list of stuff I need to do so that the mealworms or crickets are gut feed and that they stay alive to be feed and all that goes way over my head. So I was wondering if there were any easy lizards that don't need live insects (or, preferably, insects at all) to be a happy, healthy lizard.
hanly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Premier Citizen

crested gecko's dont need live food they eat a formula (but will eat livefood if given it ), like repashy's crested gecko diet , this you mix one part powder with two parts water , i mix half a teaspoon of powder to a teaspoon of water this needs to be made fresh every other day for each of mine

what ever you decide make sure you read and study up on them before you buy also set up a viv and have it running for a day or two before getting your animal as you need to check tamps, humidity are fine .
Demonique and hanly like this.

Old 29-02-2016, 11:43 PM
Egg

Maybe an iguana they eat more veg and fruit but i think they need live food when they are young maybe meal worms would be easier but i think they lose interest in them when they get a bit older. I have monkeys that eat mealworms they could have locusts but im the same as you so i use tweezers or the cheeky buggers just grab them out the box themselves not sure that helps but good luck anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2016, 01:10 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmydaves View Post
Maybe an iguana they eat more veg and fruit but i think they need live food when they are young maybe meal worms would be easier but i think they lose interest in them when they get a bit older. I have monkeys that eat mealworms they could have locusts but im the same as you so i use tweezers or the cheeky buggers just grab them out the box themselves not sure that helps but good luck anyway
Hi, Iguanas are NOT a beginner (easy) species at all, in fact they can be quite a challenge even for experienced keepers, also they are STRICTLY vegetarian....
Old 01-03-2016, 11:46 AM
Hatchling

Definitely crested geckos, though they do grow much slower when not on a mixed diet
phyllium philippinicum 0.1
Lasiodora parahybana 0.0.1
Grammostola rosea 0.0.1
Old 16-03-2016, 03:38 PM
Hatchling

Another vote for Crested Gecko's.
No need for live food, don't need any special lighting, don't get too big, they're easy to handle : they do jump a lot when they are young, and they are gorgeous .
Oh, and they sometimes lick their own eyeballs
Demonique likes this.
www.facebook.com/jimslittledragons
Old 16-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Postaholic Member

While Crested Geckos are ideal beginner lizards, they do not thrive on a formula-only diet, for the benefit of the geckos themselves, I wouldn't recommend it.

In the wild they do eat a lot of insects, and without them in captivity they take a very long time to grow to adult size (up to twice as long as ones fed on a mixed diet!), and often appear "weedy" whilst growing. Some brands on formula diet are also very high in sugar, so I'm a little wary of any long-term effects from feeding it exclusively.

Uromastyx lizards may be worth looking at, although they're not a cheap one to set up for, as they require very high temperatures and the lizards themselves are pricier than cresties due the difficulty of breeding. Get the set up done properly though and they're friendly and hardy lizards. They live exclusively on a diet of salad and seeds, although youngsters will happily munch a bug or two if it happens to cross their path!
Demonique likes this.

**Clicky Banner**
Old 16-03-2016, 11:35 PM
Super Citizen

i wouldnt describe uromastyx as easy or beginner lizards. they can be very skittish and dont often tolerate handling for long periods. they have very specific lighting/heating needs and will suffer without the right setup. they are vegetarian only and should never be offered insects, their digestive system isnt designed to eat them. my first lizards were my ornate uromastyx and i found them quite hard to get doing well even with a lot of help from various keepers and breeders so they can be tough. iv got 9 now and though most are quite tolerant of handling/interaction i tend to do it either in their viv or out for short periods and then back in. they need such high temperatures they cool down really fast and while people seem to think its cute and they are having a snooze and cuddling in fact they are too cold and are shutting down instead.

i would say to have a look at desert iguanas, they are also vegetarians but they will take the odd insect without it causing any issues long term. they are mainly wc but do tame down well and are great fun to keep. you could give them a big viv with a fake rock wall and tunnels to hide in with substrate to dig in and they will be great fun. mine are all characters to keep and they are much more tolerant of being handled and being outside their enclosures even though they need similar heat to uromastyx.
Demonique likes this.

Uromastyx Species Here
Uromastyx Diet Here
Old 17-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Gold Star Member

I've read Chuckwallas don't need live food somewhere, they could be worth looking into. Not sure if they would be suitable for you though.

I normally reccomend a beardie but they need live food. Livefood was somthing I was initially put off by when getting one but I've found it wasn't too much of a problem to get used to. Now I have quite a few insect eating species!
Demonique likes this.
Old 17-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Postaholic Member
Default Recommended Easy Lizards

I have to disagree with Desert Iguanas making good "pets" as they are generally wild caught, and personally, I believe that wild caught animals should be in the hands of someone attempting to breed rather than just a pet.
Same goes for Chuckwallas, yes they eat veg, sadly most are wild caught and have been becoming increasingly scarce on import lists over the last 10 or so years.

As I mentioned, uromastyx aren't the easiest reptile to maintain, but once you have an understanding of requirements and a decent set up (essential for every reptile regardless of species anyway!) they make a good pet. You can get captive bred individuals with relative ease, and some species will happily tolerate some handling. No reptile should be subjected to hours of handling, although I agree that some species will be better suited to sitting on a shoulder for a time than uromastyx, as they cool fairly quickly.

As for the diet, yes, salad and seeds generally make up their whole captive diet, I do beg to differ on any insects being inappropriate.

In fecal analysis of wild uromastyx, 1.2% of samples had insect remains (Cunningham, 2000). Al-Hazmi (2001) found that insects comprise 2.5%, 1.1% and 8.8% of the content of the digestive tract (spring, summer, Autumn).
Please note that the parts of these studies that I found with a quick search do not mention species. So it's far from an important part of the diet, but I doubt it's harmful for them to have a few for variety!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Demonique likes this.

**Clicky Banner**

Tags
advice & help , insect , lizard , newbie