First time Snake owner - Tank heat issues - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 18-09-2016, 09:04 PM
Egg
Default First time Snake owner - Tank heat issues

Hi guys

I am getting an Anery Sand Boa in about a week or so and i'm trying to prepare my tank before she arrives. My tank is approx W:45, L:45 H:30. I'm using about 3" of Aspen for the substrate.

I'm using a 40 watt heat mat on the inside wall of the tank and can't seem to raise the hot side of the tank above 82f. I have the mat connected to a thermostat which is set to max which is my desired temp of 90-95f and have tried moving the heat probe from right next to the mat to half way through the tank and still no luck.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-09-2016, 12:07 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culley View Post
Hi guys

I am getting an Anery Sand Boa in about a week or so and i'm trying to prepare my tank before she arrives. My tank is approx W:45, L:45 H:30. I'm using about 3" of Aspen for the substrate.

I'm using a 40 watt heat mat on the inside wall of the tank and can't seem to raise the hot side of the tank above 82f. I have the mat connected to a thermostat which is set to max which is my desired temp of 90-95f and have tried moving the heat probe from right next to the mat to half way through the tank and still no luck.

Anyone have any advice?

I may be getting this wrong ...but to me it reads as though you've put the heat mat on the side of the Viv !?! All my heat mats have only ever been on the floor of the vivs and all are regulated by mat stats ( thermostats ) .
Old 19-09-2016, 12:08 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Hi guys

Anyone have any advice?

I may be getting this wrong ...but to me it reads as though you've put the heat mat on the SIDE of the Viv !?! All my heat mats have only ever been on the floor of the vivs and all are regulated by mat stats ( thermostats ) .p

Old 19-09-2016, 05:53 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
I may be getting this wrong ...but to me it reads as though you've put the heat mat on the SIDE of the Viv !?! All my heat mats have only ever been on the floor of the vivs and all are regulated by mat stats ( thermostats ) .p
Yes on the side of the tank. I only did this after 2 different people at the pet place said to (despite how I felt)
Old 19-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Yes on the side of the tank. I only did this after 2 different people at the pet place said to (despite how I felt)

The only time I've seen mats on the tank side was for Crested geckos who rest / stay on the sides ...
Old 20-09-2016, 08:15 PM
Forum Citizen

Definitely try the Mat on the floor.

www.facebook.com/groups/beardienetwork
Snake Network
www.facebook.com/groups/snakenetwork

Tags
snake , tank