Old 13-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calli1984 View Post
To do what?
Tap dance,
Old 13-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Ultra Citizen

I think inverts would be the best bet, especially stick insects and cockroaches, although millipedes and beetles would make good choices too I suppose (not much experience with them).

That being said, if he wants a true pet invertebrates are a poor choice, and IMO so are reptiles.

Fantastic animals but not so much interactive and often inactive and 'boring' to some people. Having a snake yourself he obviously knows this though, so maybe this isn't too much of an issue.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
hoopdad and Ex0tic like this.

VEGANISM IS A LIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-02-2017, 11:55 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishForLife2001 View Post
I think inverts would be the best bet, especially stick insects and cockroaches, although millipedes and beetles would make good choices too I suppose (not much experience with them).

That being said, if he wants a true pet invertebrates are a poor choice, and IMO so are reptiles.

Fantastic animals but not so much interactive and often inactive and 'boring' to some people. Having a snake yourself he obviously knows this though, so maybe this isn't too much of an issue.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
Agreed. So many of our rescues come from kids (and adults) that got bored. Not suggesting the animal would end up dumped, just that something more interactive might be better. Can't do better for kid's pets than a couple of rats. They are active, sociable, trainable and as long as they are kept in a pair or group, are equally happy not being handled for a period of time too. Does depends on your definition of low maintenance as they would need cleaning out at least once a week, maybe more, depending on your set up.

On the other hand, depends on the kid. I got my first reptile, a Leopard Gecko at 9 and never looked back.
FishForLife2001 and Ex0tic like this.
Old 14-02-2017, 12:53 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calli1984 View Post
I'd say crested gecko. Just needs a small exo terra, bang some soil and sticks in and they eat powdered food you mix with water. You can go on holiday and just give it a heavy spray of water and put some cling film over the vent mesh. You don't need any special lights or heat unless it gets really cold at night you can stick a little heat mat on the side if it does
Hmmm... I thought they needed live food (crickets)?
Old 14-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopdad View Post
Have you looked at things like stick insects?
No, but will research, thanks.
Old 14-02-2017, 01:47 PM
Postaholic Member

My money would go on a beaut little baby Royal python . .. a good feeder / eater and you're good to go .

Thinking out of the box maybe an Axolotl !?! Although are you ruling out just fish or all aquatics ?
Ex0tic likes this.
Old 14-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Super Regular
Default My 2p says hognose!

My choice in retrospect would be a western hognose, probably a female, nice size less likely to go off food. Interesting to watch, active. On the feeding side of things, you can usually dump the food in and forget about it as they like it a bit smelly. Fun to handle. All the best
Ex0tic likes this.
Old 14-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Postaholic Member
Default Pet for a 12yo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamhypher View Post
My choice in retrospect would be a western hognose, probably a female, nice size less likely to go off food. Interesting to watch, active. On the feeding side of things, you can usually dump the food in and forget about it as they like it a bit smelly. Fun to handle. All the best

Mildly venomous - rear fanged though ?? For a 12 year old ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grahamhypher and Ex0tic like this.
Old 15-02-2017, 12:49 AM
Super Regular

Maybe I've been lucky, but I never even came close to getting bitten. I had no reason to be near one where there was any real possibility. Does anyone get bitten by Hognoses? I'm not being saracastic, it really never crossed my mind.
Ex0tic likes this.

Tags
12yo , children , pet