Reptile Forums banner

First time owner: Bearded Dragon or other lizard

833 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JSReptiles-UK 
#1 ·
Hello, I am looking to be a first time owner of a lizard. I am 26yr old with space and time to have a small-medium sized lizard and have wanted to care for one for a long time. I have an older brother who cared for reptiles all through my childhood so I have a basic knowledge of what caring for a lizard/snake looks like and how complicated it can be. I am ideally looking to buy / adopt a pre-owned bearded dragon adult, or alternatively a chuckwalla (but feel this may be a very big lizard to care for as a first time owner!?) or also a uromastyx. I want a lizard that just eats veg ideally, and sleeps in the night, but I don't mind feeding live prey :)
I am currently collecting research on caring for a bearded dragon, or other medium/small lizards, but would also really appreciate some advice/ tips on care/ recommendations on what lizard you would get for your first time, from your own experience. Thanks so much!!

#2 ·
Bearded dragons are not usually thought of as medium / small lizards. One would require a vivarium at least 48 inches long - how much space do you have available? A good alternative if space is an issue would be a Rankin dragon. Very similar to a beardie but smaller. You would still have to feed a proportion of livefood though.

Reactions: JSReptiles-UK
#4 ·
Another option is the Rankins Dragon - Pogona henrylawsoni

They're almost identical to the Bearded Dragon but slightly smaller and just as friendly :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.