Which Reptile Would be a Good Start? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 21-04-2019, 03:22 AM
Egg
Question Which Reptile Would be a Good Start?

Hi, I'm completely new to owning reptiles and up to this point I have only owned rodents and dogs. To make a long story short, a small chameleon at the pet store stole my heart today and I really want to purchase him, but I have never owned a reptile before and I'm terrified I may kill him. I've researched chameleons but after scouring through source after source I feel like I've just been going in circles. Some sources say that chameleons are great pets, while others say they're "advanced". I'm mainly here because nothing has been able to specify what exactly advanced entails. Would it be detrimental for the chameleon if I were to purchase it (after buying everything needed to care for one, of course)? I have searched many sites and believe I can handle owning a chameleon, but I'm afraid because many of the sources say that a beginner should not start with a chameleon. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that my ignorant behavior is what killed a chameleon, so I'm trying to find some sort of confirmation that a chameleon would or would not be a good choice for me. If not, where could I start? I know I wrote basically an entire paragraph here and now I'm feeling incredibly stupid, but to make a long story short;

I would like to buy a chameleon and I have never owned a reptile before. Would it be a bad idea to purchase a chameleon, and if so, are there any suggestions to what reptile would be a good start?

- Sorry if I posted in this in the wrong place, I'm new to this forum and not completely sure how this works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-04-2019, 03:17 PM
huh

Welcome to the forum. You've posted in the right place - and you are correctly concerned.

There are several types of chameleon and some are easier to keep and care for than others. I've kept one and he was fabulous.

The very best thing you can do right now is - do not buy it.

Go back to this shop and buy a book on chameleons. Maybe two books. And then return to the shop after you have read the books. The shop will be happy to let you come in and just watch. The books will have been written by experienced keepers and edited by people with equal or more knowledge. You'll get a lot more information from a book than from an on-line caresheet but neither will answer all of your questions.

Don't buy the book from Amazon. The shop will pay tax on the purchase and they will also use the profits to continue to educate people in how to care for a variety of reptiles.

Chameleon care is more complex and less forgiving than other traditional first reptiles. Are you (and your family?) prepared to have live insects in the house? Insects that you will need to learn how to keep and feed (yes you need to feed the insects too). If you are in rented accommodation then you need permission (and will likely to be declined). How will people cope when a cricket or locust escapes. Can you get to the pet shop for food in any weather (once or twice a week?). Who is going to look after this chameleon everyday when you are away on holiday? All of this and much more will be covered in detail in a book.

Do you know anyone IRL who keeps any kind of reptile - can you visit and learn from them.

Have a read through the lizard forum, you'll soon get a feel for the type of questions and problems that new keepers run into.
PLUS // heat mats // stats // rubs // water bowls // branches // buckets // tongs ... and more
Old 21-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Super Citizen

i also go along with dcap
do a lot of reading and research as you can
and then redoe it again
before you buy any reptile ask your self
what kind of set up you want can you take care of it 24/7
can you get someone to do it for you when you can not
could your wife and kids look after it when you can not
my wife can not do the feeding of my frogs but i am luck as i dont go anywhere anymore
it thing like this you got to realy think about
good luck with what ever you go with
and remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask
Advertisement

Old 21-04-2019, 07:21 PM
Egg

You're both right and bring up points I didn't even consider. I shouldn't rely only on internet sources to make this decision and I have nobody to watch a chameleon if I were to leave. I also don't know anybody who currently owns or has owned a reptile, so I really shouldn't purchase the chameleon. Thank you both so much, it's nice to receive feedback instead of the sugar coated "buy it, they're totally easy to take care of".

Thank you guys!
Old 21-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aci View Post
You're both right and bring up points I didn't even consider. I shouldn't rely only on internet sources to make this decision and I have nobody to watch a chameleon if I were to leave. I also don't know anybody who currently owns or has owned a reptile, so I really shouldn't purchase the chameleon. Thank you both so much, it's nice to receive feedback instead of the sugar coated "buy it, they're totally easy to take care of".

Thank you guys!
you are welcome
at lease you ask things instead of just going out and buying a vivarium and a chameleon
and then just watch it die like a lot of pepole do
dcap likes this.
Old 21-04-2019, 09:38 PM
Postaholic Member

First .. I’d search for reptiles on YouTube and watch a few clips of people interacting with various types of reptiles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 21-04-2019, 11:35 PM
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aci View Post

Thank you guys!
I say, still get the book - circumstances can change in the years ahead. And it'll be an interesting read.

Some shops also often do community stuff and educational talks on some snakes and lizards. Chameleon is likely to be included as they are quite amazing. All part of the hobby without owning.

You say you don't know anyone with a reptile ... I once bumped into one of my neighbours in a reptile shop! And someone from work in another. Ask around.
PLUS // heat mats // stats // rubs // water bowls // branches // buckets // tongs ... and more

Tags
beginner , chameleon , newbie , question