Exo terra thermostat 600w vs habistat digital thermostat - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 28-06-2020, 01:04 AM
Egg
Default Exo terra thermostat 600w vs habistat digital thermostat

Hi,

Would you guys advise me on what thermostat to get. I like the look of both however, I would like to know which 1 people would recommend.

1. Exo terra Thermostat 600w
2. Habistat digital thermostat night and day

I will be using this with a heat mat and an exo terra cage, and thermometer.

Which 1 would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-06-2020, 12:11 PM
Premier Member

Its whatever suits your budget, and can provide for the needs of whatever animal you are going to use it with.

There are other brands such as microclimate to consider, and if you are likely to use the stat with other forms of heating later on. 600w is overkill for a mat. You could use a simple microclimate ministat (100w rated) if you are just using a mat. If you may end up using a ceramic at some stage in the future then look for getting a pulse proportional type. If you may be using lamps or projectors then a dimmer type is suitable. Both Dimmer and pulse stats are fine for use with mats

Malc

Old 28-06-2020, 02:44 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny97th View Post
Hi,

Would you guys advise me on what thermostat to get. I like the look of both however, I would like to know which 1 people would recommend.

1. Exo terra Thermostat 600w
2. Habistat digital thermostat night and day

I will be using this with a heat mat and an exo terra cage, and thermometer.

Which 1 would you recommend?

The Habistat one would do just fine.... i have used it in the past and works great for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-06-2020, 02:29 AM
Egg

No it's mainly because I want it's environment to be realistic as possible and want to be able to have the temperature change set for night and day. The main reason as I may not always be in but I still want my reptile to have the perfect habitat.
Old 29-06-2020, 12:39 PM
Premier Member

If you want something that has all options for type of heat control, and programmable night time settings then have a look at the Microclimate Evo Digital. At £130 it's not cheap, but if you later change from mats to ceramics or heat projectors, there is no requirement to need to replace the thermostat.

The only way to have true programmable heat curves for different times of the day, or even different days of the week would be to design and build your own using an Arduino. Around 2009 there was a unit produced in the US which had four individual pulse proportional outputs that could be programmed with six temperature settings for each day for each channel. The idea was so that seasons could be created and the user can create or mimic the normal seasonal changes the reptile may encounter in the wild. But can you imagine programming over eight and a half thousand settings !!!! And to be honest, the reptile probably uses other ques such as pressure to know what season it is in.

Malc

Old 03-07-2020, 09:01 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny97th View Post
No it's mainly because I want it's environment to be realistic as possible and want to be able to have the temperature change set for night and day. The main reason as I may not always be in but I still want my reptile to have the perfect habitat.
Thats not going to happen with a heat mat.
The stats you are asking about are dimmers and not suitable for mats. They also have a minimum wattage to work, which is above that if a heat mat.
If you are only using a heat mat, use a mat stat.
Remember also the mats do not heat the air, they are contact heaters. They will rise the air temperature slightly but not much. So at night you will get a slightly lower temperature anyway.
Depending on what species you are keeping a mat may not be the most appropriate heater.
If you want to provide the perfect environment, you may want to rethink your heating.