GTP for begginers yes or no? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 18-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Default GTP for begginers yes or no?

Hi guys i've been reading up on GTP's as i've had my heart set on getting one at some point. The info i've read has been contradicting with regard to who should get one.

I have no experience of keeping snakes but do have experience of Gecko's and beardies. GTP's are often referred to as 'only for the more experienced snake keeper'.

I have considered getting a corn/king or rat snake but have decided not to on the basis getting a pet IS for life. I think it's important to take time and considerations in choosing the right snake, which i believe would be a GTP.

Please all responses with reasons welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Gold Star Member

i reckon so long as you do lots of research and know inside out what a particular species needs and requirements are, how they behave etc, and more importantly can provide these requirements, then ANY snake would make a good first snake.

Like you say, why get a species that you don't really want?

Old 19-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Premier Member

well to be honest they are a difficult species to keep and EXPECT TO GET BITTEN lol!!

but so long as you are 110% confident you have their husbandry perfect (especially the humidity) then by all means go for it. and theres always people like myself on here if you have any problems!

the only advice id give you is to maybe get a year old one rather than a hatchling as they can be little fers when it comes to not eating! if youve never had a snake before, assist feeding a chondro can be exciting!

let us know what you decide - and i wish you the best of luck with this amazing species!

hope this helped Hell xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior View Post
I cant be bothered with people like that anymore....i just burry them in the garden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Default advice

Thanks for your response

I'll no doubt be back for advice around the new year with pics and stuff, can't wait i'm starting to get excited already.

Are you aware of any good breeders preferably near Manchester all though i would be willing to collect from anywhere in the uk?

We do have a shop near us that from what i can see seems reputable 'Viper and Vine' in Prestwich. you guys ever heard of it?

Can you give me any reflections on how often you handle your GTP's i'm on the understanding it's as little as possible. Do you feed live / dead food? when you say get bitten a lot, how often? can this hurt the snake?

Donít worry I will do me reading and learn as much as I can before making the commitment.

Thanks again.
Old 19-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Gold Star Member

If I wanted something enough, and I was conifdent I could look after it, and there was no rules that said I couldn't, I would certainly get one.
Old 19-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Premier Citizen
Location: In a world of my own, where only bats and Flipper can understand me!
Reviews: 2

Doubtless everyone has slightly differing opinions on what's best or not. This is my personal two penn'orth worth.

Don't buy a GTP from a petshop. It's far better to buy direct from the breeder as, if they're a good breeder, they will be able to give you all the feed & shed records for the animal and, if you're new, give you proven adice on feeding, housing, husbandry etc. Plus, if they're worth their salt, they will be on the end of a phone or email should you encounter any problems. Honest answer, can a petshop do this?

Handling, in one word.............don't! If you get a neonate, then handling can cause irreparable damage to the spine which may not show up until later on in life. GTP's have loosely jointed vertebrae when young and forcible removal from a perch can damage the connective tissue causing spinal kinks. At best, these are unsightly, at worst can cause problems with defecation and possibly sterility. Baby chondros should be moved around on their perch when it's necessary to clean their container. If they come off of their own accord then allow them to "wander" around your hand but don't forcibly "unwind" them from any perch.

Biting: young chondros are, by nature, snappy. This is good for getting them to feed, not good for your fingers if they happen to be in the way! You should avoid getting bitten as apart from it hurting,there is a possibility of teeth breaking off and the subsequent risk of mouth infections from encapsulated tooth remnants. You really don't want to be treating mouth infections in a young chondro. I wouldn't say that it's inevitable that you will get bitten, some Chondros calm down as they get older, some never do, you just have to deal with what you've got

Stuart Marquis (Essexchondro) posts on here regularly and may well be able to put you in touch with people planning on breeding next year. Alternatively there may be some people with "leftovers" from this year's clutches that are for sale.

In terms of ease of husbandry, a yearling would be your best bet, all the hard work has been done, it may well have been sexed and you'll see what your adult snake will look like, but it'll be more expensive and I perseonally think it's nice to be able to get in quick and have a choice of babies an whilst frustrating at times, it's nice to put the work in raising a youngster yourself.

Good luck
Old 19-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Premier Member

stuartdouglas couldnt have said it better!

im looking to breed when my little guy is big enough - as soon as i know the sex ill buy a mate for him/her of similar age (if i can find one at the time!) but of course this wont be for ages plus breeding them can be fairly hit and miss.

the only breeders that im aware of in the UK is down in essex but when your paying over £300 for a snake its worth the travel! i got mine from a chap who got it from small breeder in stockport but i believe they've moved.

i live in manchester city centre myself so if you do manage to get one but have any problems dont hesitate to pm me on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior View Post
I cant be bothered with people like that anymore....i just burry them in the garden
Old 19-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Hi guys, thanks for info

Sorry i should have mentioned Viper and Vine are also breeders with their own facilitys in uk and i belive Thiland? please visit their website
www.viperandvine.com just for a browse if nothing else

Chondro13 yes the travel is no problem i read a thread earlier about someone sending a Gecko via Royal Mail? couldn't believe it!

Stuart although I think I would be able to care for a newbie and want to see it develop I think a yearling is the sensible answer and will over rule the risk of caring for a little one

Any how I'll keep reading up as i believe i will get one when the times right so thanks again for your help and advice and sorry chondro13 if I do bombard you with pm when I do lol
Old 19-09-2008, 06:31 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeji View Post
i reckon so long as you do lots of research and know inside out what a particular species needs and requirements are, how they behave etc, and more importantly can provide these requirements, then ANY snake would make a good first snake.

Like you say, why get a species that you don't really want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chondro13 View Post
well to be honest they are a difficult species to keep and EXPECT TO GET BITTEN lol!!

but so long as you are 110% confident you have their husbandry perfect (especially the humidity) then by all means go for it. and theres always people like myself on here if you have any problems!

the only advice id give you is to maybe get a year old one rather than a hatchling as they can be little fers when it comes to not eating! if youve never had a snake before, assist feeding a chondro can be exciting!

let us know what you decide - and i wish you the best of luck with this amazing species!

hope this helped Hell xx
Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma 天 View Post
If I wanted something enough, and I was conifdent I could look after it, and there was no rules that said I couldn't, I would certainly get one.
It's good to see this sound advice.

Like they say, if you do the research and put the effort in, then why not?

Old 19-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Premier Citizen

My concerns would be more along the lines of -
If this is your first snake and you have not had any experience of snakes body language etc then to me you need to seriously do your homework.
The amount of first time snake keepers who ask the most basic of questions and panic about some of the most basic daily care stuff is fairly high, which is not a problem, I did this myself with my first few snakes. Its all normal. But GTPs are not a snake you want to me messing around with if you dont know what you are doing. They can prove difficult for the most experienced of keepers, who have many years of experience.
I personally believe it is the best interests of the snake if you at least have some experience with snakes in general as well back up from a reliable, experienced and knowledgeable source. Maybe you could spend some time helping someone with their snakes on a regular basis first or volunteer in a shop, then you can gain a little experience with snakes first before making your purchase.

I'm afraid I disagree with Stuart re the shop versus private breeder issue, I do not believe it is always as straight forward as that. This is not because we have a shop, but down to experience. I know of some supposedly top breeders in this country whose morals are very questionable, ie selling wild caught royal pythons as their own captive bred stock and marking the price up, huge amounts of a certain type of snakes kept in absolutely filthy conditions. Anyone can falsify records too. What I would say is that you need to find a reputable and trusted source to purchase from and ask lots of questions - anyone worth their salt will not mind you asking questions and will offer back up care too. Try asking around on this site and see if you can get some recommendations. Dont be in a hurry to buy, take your time checking everything out.

Dont believe everything you read on the internet, research at least 10 different websites. Anyone can post info up on a website and claim it is correct info, but by reading round lots of sites you will start to observe the common themes.

Runner up in international Pet Photographer of the Year 2011, 2012 & 2013 with SWPP
Amphibian image of the year 2013 - The Reptile Report