where can you buy defender mites.
this is where u get them mate

Defenders - Safe Effective Natural Biologist Pest Control for Gardeners

sorry someone else already posted the link lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Super Citizen

this was a waste of time for me and i wanted the problem sorted fast so ardap mite spray is the way to go worked well with mine.
Old 17-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Ultra Citizen

Guys,

I've been hit with a mite attack - first time in 8 years. They must have come in on the yearling spotted python I bought in June (certainly he was the first snake I saw them on).

Have been using Mite Off without success for a couple of weeks.

Now I have ordered 10,000 hypoaspis from Defenders (and also some Ardap in case they don't wor). My question is, will the hypoaspis be affected by the Mite Off I've been spraying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Gold Star Member

do these work with the little White mites you sometimes get with snails? I find them a pain also the mites on millipedes are a nightmere.

Last edited by BenjaminBoaz; 17-06-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Old 17-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conners View Post
Guys,

I've been hit with a mite attack - first time in 8 years. They must have come in on the yearling spotted python I bought in June (certainly he was the first snake I saw them on).

Have been using Mite Off without success for a couple of weeks.

Now I have ordered 10,000 hypoaspis from Defenders (and also some Ardap in case they don't wor). My question is, will the hypoaspis be affected by the Mite Off I've been spraying?
This is where a lot of people go wrong, if you have used a mite spray in or around your vivs it will kill the Hypoaspis mites as soon as you put them in. Some of these sprays can have a risidual effect that lasts three or four months.

Natrix
Old 17-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke123 View Post
not really..thats one species, you can get white ones, red ones, black ones etc etc..do you use eco earth leopardgeckocrazy?
There is only one species of snake mite and they are black. There are indeed a lot of other mites that come in a lot of different colours but they are substrate mites and do not attack snakes. They might irratate the snake when crawling on them but they do not bite them like the snake mites do.

Natrix
Old 17-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Ultra Citizen

Do not even consider using the Hypoaspis mites if you have used any kind of anti mite killing chemicals in the last 3 months.
It is important that the mites are provided with a reasonably humid environment but not soaking. Even desert species experience wet periods so a raised humidity for a couple of days shouldn't hurt them.
The mites don't climb very high so the snakes need to be on the ground (remove climbing branches in arboreal set ups).
The mites do their job in about 48 hours but will hang around longer clearing up any missed snake mites.
The Hypoaspis are very good at clearing up mite problems in invertebrate cages.
You may see spots of blood on your snake after adding hypoaspis (especially on white snakes). Don't panic, this is a result of the hypoaspis biting into the snake mites that were feeding on your snake and shows they are doing their job.
Natrix
Old 17-06-2009, 03:03 PM
No Life Member

mite off is crap, all these sprays you buy dont really do the trick I found water better, you have to repeat so many times it takes weeks of hard work with mite off, you think you have got rid but they come back, I found hypoaspis mites good if your snakes are in tubs they work excellently, vapona is apparently really effective, but you cant buy it in the UK anymore.
Old 20-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Ultra Citizen

So, I distributed my pot of 10,000 hypoaspis through the infected stack of boa vivs last night (Fortunately my python and colubrid stacks are clear). Hoping they will be busily working their magic already.

I really can't believe I've got mites - it's been so many years since I was hit with these buggers, and I'd forgotten what an utter pain in the a*se they are. It's hideous seeing them crawling over your snakes.

They definitely came in on the animal I collected at Maidstone in April. Did anyone else get problems with stuff they picked up there? I'm not blaming the breeder - it might not have been his stuff that was infected, it could have come in from a neighbouring table.

One thing I've noticed is that it was possible for me to all but eliminate the mites from all vivs apart from the bottom one in the stack, as I can't get the glass out of that one. As such, I think the runners are acting as a nursery for the little sh*ts.

I wish I hadn't persisted with Mite-Off for more than a month - what a waste of time that stuff is.

Anyway, I'm giving these hypoaspis four days to make a visible difference, and if things haven't improved my backup strategy is coming into play -nice big can of Ardap.
Old 20-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
Do not even consider using the Hypoaspis mites if you have used any kind of anti mite killing chemicals in the last 3 months.
It is important that the mites are provided with a reasonably humid environment but not soaking. Even desert species experience wet periods so a raised humidity for a couple of days shouldn't hurt them.
The mites don't climb very high so the snakes need to be on the ground (remove climbing branches in arboreal set ups).
The mites do their job in about 48 hours but will hang around longer clearing up any missed snake mites.
The Hypoaspis are very good at clearing up mite problems in invertebrate cages.
You may see spots of blood on your snake after adding hypoaspis (especially on white snakes). Don't panic, this is a result of the hypoaspis biting into the snake mites that were feeding on your snake and shows they are doing their job.
Natrix
This was useful info, Natrix, cheers.