is my african land snail dead??? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 17-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Default is my african land snail dead???

i was given 3 african land snails 3 days ago, 2 are great very active ect but the 1 is half out of his shell and not moving, he is very slimy which he wasnt before, i have given him a gentle bath but nothing. i have been told they can do this before laying but there is no signs of life at all , please help as really dont know what to do for the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Posting Deity

Arent sure what to suggest love apart from seperating him from the others and just keep an eye on him. A warm bath does normally make them a little more active tho. Is there any chance you can post a pic of him? You say he's sort of half out of his shell - do you know if he's still attached to his shell inside?
Old 18-05-2009, 01:27 PM

i have no way of putting a pic up sorry, well this morning he is right in his shell but still very slimy, gave him another bath and still nothing. he has not been out during the night as he hasnt moved from where i put him yesterday, i am so worried about him at the moment. i did ring our vets who said they dont deal with african land snails best just to leave him alone and if not moved in a few days assume he is dead which was a great help (not)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Gold Star Member

idea for u, i used to keep snails alot but it was a long time, keep it warm not hot and put alot of food around them and make sure its sprayed alot in the tank and soon he should come out i dont think its dead, but try it and dont keep messing coz some snails can be shy.
Old 18-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Unhappy

thanks for the advice, i have put some mango and cucumber by him and sprayed again, the temp is 26 and humidity 90 so he should be warm enough just going to have to sit and wait now i think
Old 18-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaillover View Post
thanks for the advice, i have put some mango and cucumber by him and sprayed again, the temp is 26 and humidity 90 so he should be warm enough just going to have to sit and wait now i think
keep us updated okay
Old 18-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Forum Citizen

i used to have african land snails when i was much younger and i remember they used to not come out for months at a time then all of a sudden they would. Not sure if this is any help but good luck

0.0.1 P.irminia
0.0.1 P.ornata
0.0.1 P.cambridgei
Old 19-05-2009, 08:18 PM

Does the snail smell bad? also does he feel firm to the touch, not as, erm, squisy as the others. If you *gently* poke the snail with a clean cocktail stick is there any miovement? Keep the little guy warm, and give regular baths with warm water, and put him on a piece of lettuce in his tank so if he wakes up he will not have to move to eat. Let us know how he gets on.
Old 19-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to x_Living_Dead_Girl_x

It sounds like it could have gone into hibernation. Might be worth buying a heat mat if it's cold where it is.

Old 20-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaillover99 View Post
Does the snail smell bad? also does he feel firm to the touch, not as, erm, squisy as the others. If you *gently* poke the snail with a clean cocktail stick is there any miovement? Keep the little guy warm, and give regular baths with warm water, and put him on a piece of lettuce in his tank so if he wakes up he will not have to move to eat. Let us know how he gets on.
yes he is quite firm if you know what i mean and no if gently poked he does not move,, he is very deep into his shell now but no sign of a covering over the entrance of the shell ,

i have been giving him a warm daily bath and he has lots of food around him , they do have a rainforest heat mat and temp and humidity are all ok, the other 2 are very active eating well ect