im new - Water Dragons - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 02-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Egg
Default im new - Water Dragons

Hi all,

i have been wanting to own water dragons for years but due to living in a small place i really had no space for a viv an thought it unfair to have them in a small viv, but now i have moved house into a much bigger bungalow i have plenty of space for them.

my local vet has sorted me out with a custom made wooden viv which matches the sideboard its on perfectly - i think its 4ft high - 4ft wide - 3ft deep (ish) and im now looking at the bits to go in.

it has a fitted heat lamp built in, i have ordered the day & night timer / thermometer, UV light etc but i was wondering what else people think would be nice for them, i have not yet purchased the dragons as i want to make sure everythings ready for them before i pick them up.

the pet shop has said about things like misters / water falls / toys / sands etc but i wondered what people think of them, as i have read some storys about the heat rocks failing and burning the lizards.

if anyone can recommend items it would be great, ideally & if possible can you add a picture of the item so i can have an idea what it looks like.

the viv is fairly big so i know its going to cost a fair bit to kit out properly, but money isnt an issue as i want them to have a good life.

im planning on 1 male 2 females, just in case this effects what i can/cant have.

thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Egg

self bumping,

anyone have any suggestions?
warnings to stay away from anything in particular ?

l:notw orthy:
Old 03-06-2009, 06:39 PM

It really is up to you on how you decorate your tank, but I would stay away from heat rocks they can be dangerous and unnecessary. Another thing I would advise is a reflector on the uv light. We got one for ours because they would sit on the uv light.

If you live close or fancy the trip I think the Doncaster reptile show is on soon they always sell loads of accessories cheap.

Neil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Egg

thanks for the info, on the reflector side - i havent seen any reflectors at any online shops of the aquatic centers i have been to, but i might be thinking of the wrong item, i know reflectors to be the kind of light relecting discs used in photography to bounce light into dark areas. so im guessing this is not the same with regard to reptiles ?

if poss can you give me the name of the reflector so i can look it up and see what you mean, thanks for anyu help
Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 PM

your dragon will outgrow that after a while, thats all I really know about CWD's.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Regular

The reflector is a metalic piece with plastic clips that clip to the bulb.

When setting up a CWD tank remember they love to climp so put plenty of secure branches for them to climb. Also plastic plants to recreate their forest like habitat.

Waterfalls are ok but are relativly small compared to your viv choice. I would suggest designing your own and put a large area of water. These lovely creatures are not called waterdragons for no reason.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Citizen
Send a message via MSN to niliano_05

In my water dragon viv i have got:

Medium Waterfall
Loads of plastic floor plants
vines and leaves hanging from side of viv for climbing and hiding in
big tub of water to the side
a fair few branches for them to climb around
humidity gauge
heat gauge
feeding bowl
lilly pad floating in their water (pointless but they seem to like sitting on it)

Thats what ive decorated mine with and mine are always running round and happy. Personally as stated before as long as there is something for them to climb on and a hiding spot (using plants) and a feeding area its normally fine. Ive got vine type plants going on both sides and back of viv mainly because i noticed they sleep in them so i covered the viv in them.

Big tub of water cos they LOVE swimming hence the name.

Waterfall because ive noticed mine drink from that and not the tub (mainly cos they poo etc. in the tub)

fake plants to recreate the natural enviorment and makes it lok bette in their to.

Hope this helps
Old 13-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Ultra Citizen

i would stay away from heat rocks..there not safe at all!
yep lots of branches and plants for them to climb and hide behind,i nice big water bowl for them to swim in..i have a big washing up bowl!

water dragons dnt like reflections so put some plants at the bottom of the viv so they dnt snout rub or beta stil get some non reflective glass! x

Tags
starting up , suggested items , toys , water dragons , waterdragons