new cat advice please - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 16-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Regular
Default new cat advice please

ive just re-homed a 12yr old cat. shes been suffering with cystitis in the animal shelter cattery shes been in. at the moment hses still on tablets for the cystitis and shes being fed on hills prescription diet w/d with chicken. since the cats been home with me shes been going for a wee fine and its normal colour. her tratment ends at the end of the month and hopefully that will be it as they do think the cystitis is stress related. she hasnt seemed all that interested in the food so was wondering if any1 could advise what food would be best for her to help with her age and prevent her putting on weight or getting cystitis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

I had a cat who used to get recurrent cystitis and the vet suggested i switch to Hills science diet as it has lower sodium content than regular cat food. They also do a variety for older cats. It worked for her: she never had cystitis again, worth a try if you havent already done it. It is more expensive but a bag lasts for ages
Old 17-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Forum Citizen

hi, i also had a cat which got recurrent cystitis, and even switching her food didnt help much, i got some human cranberry tablets from holland and barrett,and crushed one a day in with her food, with the combination of better food,and the cranberry,she was fine after that. xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Forum Citizen
Reviews: 1

Hi

if it stress related cystitis then you should be ok on any senior complete diet personally i perfer proplan.
However which ever food you end up putting her on I would recommend making sure there is plenty of water around for her to drink, I love water fountains as it encourages the cat to drink (in the wild they would generally not drink from standing water as it could be stagnant)
Also making sure litter trays etc are clean and if she does seem to get stressed at times then a feliway diffuser is always a good investment
Old 19-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Posting Deity

one of my cats kept getting it, very badly. It was beacuse of cat food, the munchies and the wet food. So he and our other cats have been switched on to BARF diet, that way i know exactly what they have, and its all natural.
and its cheaper! which is always good!

Two arboreal Vivariums, pm me for more info!