Heat need to know - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 22-06-2009, 10:58 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to C4VEMAN-5AM

No it wasnt a shop, it was areptile rescue center, and they definately knew what they were doing, cause they had an alligator to care for lol.

he even showed how the tempreture just remains in the same area all the time. and the animals were all moving around and were healthy.

Old 23-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantasam View Post
Many shops claim thermostats are unnecessary as they are concerned adding another £30 to a sale may put people off buying completely. Thermostats are very necessary and should always be used in conjunction with any heat source.
As a store worker i really do understand the importance of stats and at home have them everywhere. However i do not include them in starter kits sold instore (only on advanced). This is mainly due to excerting more cost but i do try to get them to purchse one.
Old 25-06-2009, 03:53 AM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 21

Hey sam, did you get a thermostat? if you didnt be careful , if the temperature in the surrounding air goes up, it will also in your snakes viv, think of the stat as a safety cutout, and using a stat you can keep a stable temp, in your snakes enclosure. it will switch the heatmat on and off untill the required temp is achieved, then it maintains this level (Say a constant 85oF)
Advertisement

Old 25-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Ultra Citizen

Thermostats are ESSENTIAL in keeping snakes in a healthy way. Any individual or shop that chooses not to use them is either unaware of the risks, or chooses to risk the health of their animals for the sake of cost. Un-statted heat sources can get very hot.

There are also other problems with not using a thermostat, even if you happen by chance to get the correct temperature in the viv. What happens in the Summer months when the ambient temperature rises by 5-10'c? This means that the viv temp will also rise, and there is no way of reducing it. What happens if your snake develops respiratory infection and you need to increase the temperature in a controlled way by a couple of degrees for a period of time. Again without the thermostat you do not have the control over your snake's environment. In my view when we buy snakes we take on full responsibility to provide the exact requirements they need to live in the best health possible. By not having a thermostat, you sacrifice that level of control and compromise your ability to meet these requirements. For me that is unacceptible.
Old 25-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Hatchling

Wow, what caused those burns a ceramic heat pad?
Old 25-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Ultra Citizen

Just regular heat mats.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake...hermostat.html

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake...ppen-when.html

(the bottom post is a slightly different issue - thermal blocking in heavily bodied snakes - but illustrates the extreme temperatures that can be produced by an innocent normal heat mat)

Last edited by rantasam; 25-06-2009 at 07:51 PM..
Old 25-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Hatchling

I have never seen burns that bad from a heat mat!!! Scarey! I would personally never use any heat source without a stat, not worth the risk to animal or starting of a fire!
Old 27-06-2009, 03:11 PM

You should always have a thermostat for reptiles such as snakes and lizards, to ensure your reptile dosnt get too hot and to see if it is getting the right amount off heat.
Old 27-06-2009, 03:14 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to C4VEMAN-5AM

i bought one today, everything was fine for a couple of days without one, but know i have a habistat mattstat, so my heat matt turns on autmatically when it reaches abou 26 c.
Old 29-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Hatchling

I was told exactly the same when I bought a heatwave desert large, that a stat was not necassary. Stupidly I followed their advice without investigating further and consequently a day later parts of the actual mat itself had melted away and it stopped working. To add insult to injury they wouldn't even give me my money back

Anyway seems you got it sorted, just felt like having a rant as am still annoyed to this day about that.
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Missy)
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Derick)
0.1.0 Homo sapiens (Nicole)