Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Newbie Advice (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/)
-   -   Looking for a social lizard as a pet (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/newbie-advice/325207-looking-social-lizard-pet.html)

moomoo 19-06-2009 04:48 PM

Looking for a social lizard as a pet

Hi there,

Hope you are all well. I have many years experience in keeping amphibians (axolotls), but now would like to get a lizard as a pet. I'm a newbie to lizard keeping, so would like to know some suggestions.Am looking for a medium-sized lizard, which is quite intelligent and doesn't mind being handled, so is 'social', maybe even gets to know me. And if I could take him for a walk in my garden in the summer would be a plus. Have been possibly thinking about a bearded dragon or a monitor of some sort. Friendliness is a must,interesting lizard.

Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

white 19-06-2009 04:50 PM

bearded dragon

ToxicSiren 19-06-2009 04:55 PM

Id deffo go for a bearded dragon, wouldnt really recomend a monitor as a first lizard. But all depends what you want if you have the space for a monitor then go for it.x

imitebmike 19-06-2009 05:01 PM

Blue tongued skinks are also good starter lizards, very friendly too :O

bbear690 19-06-2009 05:10 PM

We are due to get our first lizard at the end of the month, we are getting A bearded Dragon as they are very friendly and socialable, also they rarely bite so this is great as i have small children so i want them to be able to handle it

Can't wait :)

shiftyraccoon 19-06-2009 09:37 PM

I'd say go with a beardie too, cute when young then well handled and friendly when older!

Also, just for the record, axolotls aren't amphibian

ryanr1987 19-06-2009 09:59 PM

If you have the time and patience and do research a green iguana. they are very clever and make great pets when the work is put in :)

Anolefan 20-06-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moomoo (Post 4147952)
Hi there,

Hope you are all well. I have many years experience in keeping amphibians (axolotls), but now would like to get a lizard as a pet. I'm a newbie to lizard keeping, so would like to know some suggestions.Am looking for a medium-sized lizard, which is quite intelligent and doesn't mind being handled, so is 'social', maybe even gets to know me. And if I could take him for a walk in my garden in the summer would be a plus. Have been possibly thinking about a bearded dragon or a monitor of some sort. Friendliness is a must,interesting lizard.

Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

Bearded dragons, ridge-tailed monitors, blue-tongued/schneider's skinks

Whenever a topic like this is started, the lizard that everyone recommends is the Bearded dragon. Pogona vitticeps is currently the most popular lizard in the UK, and not without good reason. Although not as responsive as green iguanas, they are the most responsive lizard the average hobbyist could manage. Also can be fed a pre-prepared diet, but they do need a large vivarium, at least 3 feet long for one beardie and 4 feet long for a couple. And from what I understand, they're expensive-roughly £250 for full set-up, food, and dragon etc. I think.

Ridge-tailed monitors are not as popular as beardies but their care requirements are almost exactly the same. They aren't as responsive but are lots of fun to keep and can actually make very good beginner's pets. They cost about the same as a beardie too, and need a similar viv. Their appearance is very different, however.

Smaller skinks (e.g. Mabuya species, Occellated skinks) are not as expensive but larger skinks (Blue-tongues, schneider's) can be. If you're looking for something a little more responsive than a skink, a Sudan plated lizard might be a very good choice. They require a 3-4-foot viv like beardies.

snickers 20-06-2009 01:10 PM

> Also, just for the record, axolotls aren't amphibian

I think you'll find that they are.
The Axolotl - Aztecs and axolotls

but back to the topic at hand.

blue tongue skinks are really nice. There is a lot of debate about diet but are less hassle than dragons, and basically eat stuff from tescos. Once they have been handled a bit they are very sociable.

BTSs are quite a bit more expensive o buy, but the running costs are quite a bit cheaper.

bellabelloo 21-06-2009 12:21 AM

Pssstt..oh yes they are....:whistling2: