3.5" 18 month old Spur thighed Tortoise help! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 23-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Regular
Default 3.5" 18 month old Spur thighed Tortoise help!

Hi Guys,

Me and my friend both brought a tortoise a week ago we notice that they havnt eaten much and were worried we have spoken to vets & the seller and they think that its okay for them not to eat for a week?? ( i refer to Him as a Him although we have no idead what Sex he is yet due to his small age.

Now my friends tortoise has sadly passed away 2 hrs ago the seller is away and im scared to death im gonna loose my tortoise!

It has no runny nose, eyes etc looks very healthy up untill yesterday has been very active in his Vivarium, we have the necc heat lamp & lights and i have been letting him roam the garden by my side for approx 2 hrs aday when its been verry sunny although he has chosen to go straight to the shade? Ive offered him Dandlians, rose petals, Cucumber, tomatoes, lettice i have to put him in his water bowl as he dont seem to want to try and get in and ive seen him drink although a few times water has appeared to come out of his nose.

My friends tortoise head went into its shell futher that she had ever seen before and his shell felt warm she suspected it had passed and tried placing him into warm water but he has not moved for 3 hrs so she has decided he must of passed she is devistated and we dont know what could of gone wrong.

When we went to see them both they are siblings were from a 26yr old spur thighted mother mine was more active than hers at the time but now mine is heading the same direction i really dont want him to die anyone with any help or sugestions please i would be very greatful x

Sabrina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Regular

im not that great at tortoises but one thing is ventilation in the enclosure. I always tell people to have a tortoise table reather than vivs because of this. I hope you get some good advice.
Old 24-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Premier Citizen
Default I am not an expert hun.

It could be just a settling in thing when I brought my two home I had the same prob and like you was worried but they have both started eating now.

Are you sure the other one has definatey passed away. And if the two were together before you bought them then it might be an idea to get yours checked.

Have you noticed if yours has been to the toilet since you got it? Cause if it has then it has eaten something.

Other than that hun am sorry am at a loss I do think you need a vet that knows about torts and have yours checked now. Again if your is lively enough then it could be settling in.

Remove the tomato and cucumber hun this is no good for them and if in a viv you do need a table cause its wrong set up but for now I would leave the glass doors open so it cannot get out just to try and create an air flow and get it out a much as poss specially now its sunny weather.

Last edited by spudsgirl; 24-06-2009 at 11:04 AM..