A little Help please! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 24-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Default A little Help please!

Hi, I'm new around here lol

I've been doing some reptile 'research' for a while now and I've decided that I want a bearded dragon - common I've read but a great starter too. Plus all them little spikes, they are too cute!

I've researced his habitat and what not, his diet and all the rest. The only thing I cant seem to find the answer to, or maybe get my head around is this...

At night, once I've turned his (I'm presuming I'll get a boy) lights off, what is the minimum temperature the vivarium can fall to? In winter our house gets really cold at night, dropping to below 15 celcius. I'm guessing that this would be too cold and I'd have to provide some overnight heating for the boy?

While I'm at it, I'm also not getting the humidity 'thing'. I've read that the humidity should be at around 60% - how do I achieve this. Is it just a combination of misting and lights or has a water bowl got anything to do with it as well?

Thanks in advance, for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Premier Citizen

Im not sure about the heating, but you could always add a heat mat/ceramic bulb to keep him warm during the night

and im quite sure beardies dont need 60% humidity...they should just get their water from their foods...
Old 24-06-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacidy View Post
Hi, I'm new around here lol

I've been doing some reptile 'research' for a while now and I've decided that I want a bearded dragon - common I've read but a great starter too. Plus all them little spikes, they are too cute!

I've researced his habitat and what not, his diet and all the rest. The only thing I cant seem to find the answer to, or maybe get my head around is this...

At night, once I've turned his (I'm presuming I'll get a boy) lights off, what is the minimum temperature the vivarium can fall to? In winter our house gets really cold at night, dropping to below 15 celcius. I'm guessing that this would be too cold and I'd have to provide some overnight heating for the boy?

While I'm at it, I'm also not getting the humidity 'thing'. I've read that the humidity should be at around 60% - how do I achieve this. Is it just a combination of misting and lights or has a water bowl got anything to do with it as well?

Thanks in advance, for any advice
You can use heat mats and infrared bulbs to keep temperatures up during the nighttime. Wire them up to a thermostat and ensure that the tank remains at 18-20C (64.5-68F). By the way, night should last about 12-14 hours. Actually, humidity isn't that important to beardies and misting might raise the humidity too high, even if its only for a short period of time. 50% humidity-apparantley the ideal level-can be maintained by spraying, say, a single wall of the enclosure as necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Super Regular

60% humidity is way to high and your beardie would get a respirity infection and become very ill.

Beardies live in the desert i.e. dry arid conditions, don't spray them or the viv at all.

If needs be you can give them a bath in luke warm water to clean them, let them drink etc.

the temps can drop to around 60f (15c) at night without causing any problems, if it goes a lot lower, get a ceramic bulb on a seperate pulse thermostat to keep the temps up.

Also please remember beardies can't sense heat from underneath so don't put any heat source underneath them.

Andi
Old 24-06-2009, 07:18 PM

Thanks for all that! I apologise if I'm asking too many questions or repeating things, however I want to make sure my little mans house if perfect and I know exactly what I'm doing before I go and get him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi Mack View Post
60% humidity is way to high and your beardie would get a respirity infection and become very ill.
I went back to look for the page that I had read about the humidity. I can't find it so I either misread, misunderstood or dreamed it up lol

Quote:
Beardies live in the desert i.e. dry arid conditions, don't spray them or the viv at all.
Whilst I've been reading up on various websites, I've also been around various pet shops in search of information. I've been told by one pet shop to spray the dragon as well as the sides of the vivarium? Are you saying that this should never be done, or giving him an occassional spritz is OK? Same for the viv?

Quote:
If needs be you can give them a bath in luke warm water to clean them, let them drink etc.
I've taken note about letting them have a splash about in a shallow basin, also to give him a gentle scrub with a soft toothbrush if he has any bits stuck to him. What is your opinion on that - good idea, not so good idea?

Quote:
the temps can drop to around 60f (15c) at night without causing any problems, if it goes a lot lower, get a ceramic bulb on a seperate pulse thermostat to keep the temps up.
That's my main issue dealt with, ta

Quote:
Also please remember beardies can't sense heat from underneath so don't put any heat source underneath them.
Duly noted! It seems to be the general consensus and by all accounts a big NO NO.

One last (well, probably not last) thing - what is the recommended age to get them at?
Old 24-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via ICQ to Armed_with_a_mind

beardies really do make lovely pets, I bought mine a few weeks ago and I'm totally in love with him lol :-D As for the age to get them, I had some trouble deciding on this myself, but I'd recommend getting a baby. When buying an adult you can't be certain how well they have been cared for in the past, and I imagine it may take longer/be more difficult to bond with them. I also think that seeing them grow and develop their character is nice to watch. Enjoy

p.s Beardies can have supervised, shallow baths (with baby-warm water up to their arm pits I believe) to help them poop, make it easier for them to shed, and to clean them up. You can either use a soft toothbrush or a cotton bud to help get muck off (they can also be used to gently remove any remaining shed that may cause them probs/to loose toes or tip of tail but don't pull or force the dead skin off as it may cause damage - more of a last resort really).

Hope this helps
Old 24-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacidy View Post
Thanks for all that! I apologise if I'm asking too many questions or repeating things, however I want to make sure my little mans house if perfect and I know exactly what I'm doing before I go and get him!

I went back to look for the page that I had read about the humidity. I can't find it so I either misread, misunderstood or dreamed it up lol

Whilst I've been reading up on various websites, I've also been around various pet shops in search of information. I've been told by one pet shop to spray the dragon as well as the sides of the vivarium? Are you saying that this should never be done, or giving him an occassional spritz is OK? Same for the viv?

I find that if you spritz them they don't mind occasionally i only do it whilst they are shedding.

I've taken note about letting them have a splash about in a shallow basin, also to give him a gentle scrub with a soft toothbrush if he has any bits stuck to him. What is your opinion on that - good idea, not so good idea?

Thats ok but be careful

That's my main issue dealt with, ta

Duly noted! It seems to be the general consensus and by all accounts a big NO NO.

Heating underneath the tank just can not be felt by them as well as above. I find that if you use a heat mat to help control night temps is ok if stated. But always ensure its under the viv

One last (well, probably not last) thing - what is the recommended age to get them at?
Well lets put it this way my 4yo plays and helps clean, feed and generally care for ours.
Old 25-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyH1981 View Post
Well lets put it this way my 4yo plays and helps clean, feed and generally care for ours.
lol, I generally meant at what age to purchase the beardie. Say 6 weeks, or 12 weeks old?
Old 25-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anolefan View Post
You can use heat mats and infrared bulbs to keep temperatures up during the nighttime. Wire them up to a thermostat and ensure that the tank remains at 18-20C (64.5-68F). By the way, night should last about 12-14 hours. Actually, humidity isn't that important to beardies and misting might raise the humidity too high, even if its only for a short period of time. 50% humidity-apparantley the ideal level-can be maintained by spraying, say, a single wall of the enclosure as necessary.
Hi mate, not sure if you have posted this as a joke, but the people on the newbie forum need GOOD advice from EXPERIENCED keepers, what you have posted is complete crap. Please keep away from giving advice untill you know what you're talking about

Jay
Old 25-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Regular

I dont sell or would buy under 6wks of age