fake rock builds - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 24-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Mujician

eBay is where i got mine from, tho it hasnt arrived yet, I'm hoping it'll be here tomorrow. Search eBay.co.uk for polystyrene sheets. There are lots of sheets 25mm thick, but i wanted mine to be thinner, so i found some that were 10mm thick. 25 sheets of 600mmx400mmx10mm cost me 12 quid including postage.
I am going to fix the pieces together with cocktail sticks. That should keep it nice and steady for when i put the grout on it. I dont like the idea of using any glue really. I would only use aquarium sealant/dow corning but this would be a bit too messy for this job.
I need answers to my questions!!!!!!!! Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy2009 View Post
hi does anyone make these on here and sell them as i want one for my vivarium but arnt very well with my hands. thankz
It doesnt reall work like that, as they are very much 'made to measure'. It might work if there was someone near you willing to come to your house everyday to check measurements. If you have ever done an airfix model you should be fine coz they're a lot bigger than airfix and polystyrene is cheap! If you make a mistake you can change it!!!
Old 24-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Default Viv

Never thought about ebay lol al have a look now cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to mandi1234 Send a message via Yahoo to mandi1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02thompson View Post
good job .a cant wait 2 have a goat building 1 lol how do ya get the structure do you draw it out 1st ???
yeh i suppose you could draw it out first, but i just plonked a load of poystyrene on top of each other and glued it with no-nails. i just made it up as i went along...........................im lazy when it comes to drawing things out lol, i just do it and then see what it looks like, if i dont like it i do something else lol.
Old 24-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujician View Post
While we're at it, i'd like tsome of the finer details of building stuff like this!
I've just ordered 25 sheets of polystyrene!!! My leos are going to get one made for them.
Questions:1- Does it mater what kind of grout I use? (which would be best?)Any non toxic grout is fine, either plain white or coloured (white is cheapest).
2- How many layers of grout do i need to put on and why? At least 4, this strengthens the polystyrene and prevents it from warping under heat.
3- What kind of paint is best, and does it need to be mixed in the last layer of grout? Any non toxic paint is good, waterbased works well. No need to mix it into the grout.
4- What do I seal the whole thing with eventually? (Or would there be any need for this if the paint was mixed in the grout?) yes to make it waterproof, in a low humidity viv you can use pva, in a high humidity viv you need to use yacht varnish or epoxy resin. again you will need at least a few layers of sealent.
5- Do I need to grout all the way around the polystyrene? I.E the bottom, or is it enough to leave the bottom and sides bare? (as this will be touching the side of the viv) (I think I also could have asked - how much does grouting affect the measurements?!!! - How thick will all the layers be?!) Yes and seal them as well. Depends on how thick you make your layers. Mine added about 6-7mm but i put on 5 layers and am still adding sand and sealent, so it'll end up a bit thicker.
6-As part of the rock thingy I want to make, I want to incorporate a moist hide complete with a lid for some moss - is this okay to do, or will the constant moisture affect the structure in any way? I think this would be fine as long as you seal it with yacht varnish or expoy resin.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I'm sure you will also find the answers to these questions useful. Thanks in advance, Ben
I'm by no means an expert, am building my first one now, but have answered your questions with info i found out during my own research.

Hope those answers are helpful.

Andi
Old 24-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via Skype™ to cornman247

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy2184 View Post

just finished mine but im not happy with it. gonna start over i think
can i have it then?
1.0. caramel cornsnake unnamed as of yet

FAMILY PETS
2 great danes, Titan and Titch
2 jack russells, Maxx and smudge
God knows how many birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakk View Post
eurgh normals its like having a kid and saying... but... its got brown hair *sigh* lets try again till we get a blonde lol.
PAST REPS
2.1.2 corn snakes
0.2.0 leopard geckos
1.0.0 beaded dragon
Old 25-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi Mack View Post
I'm by no means an expert, am building my first one now, but have answered your questions with info i found out during my own research.

Hope those answers are helpful.

Andi
Yep thats cool thanks! Its just going to be a bugger when it comes to measuring tho. Especially as i have 'fix-it blocks' in the viv to work around. I just nee to remember to make it 6mm shorter around the sides and where it will touch the blocks! Dammit!!!
Old 25-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujician View Post
Yep thats cool thanks! Its just going to be a bugger when it comes to measuring tho. Especially as i have 'fix-it blocks' in the viv to work around. I just nee to remember to make it 6mm shorter around the sides and where it will touch the blocks! Dammit!!!
Yeah, the first time i cut and grouted mine i forgot about the extra thickness the grout would add.

Luckily i wasn't really happy with the way it looked, so i binned it and started again.
Old 25-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Regular

you can always file down some of the grout so it fits better
Old 25-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyH1981 View Post
you can always file down some of the grout so it fits better
Yeah, i know! I'll be sanding down the polystyrene too, to make it smooth and stuff.