HELP What do I feed a tortoise on in Egypt!! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 27-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Default HELP What do I feed a tortoise on in Egypt!!

Can anyone help ? We live in Egypt and we have just rescued (about 2 weeks ago) a tortoise from a street vendor .He was in a pretty bad way his back legs werent working very well and he was so messed up and smelly .We put him in water and cleaned off all the gunge it took 6 lots of water !! We have been giving him corriander ,cantalope melon,cucumber,celery leaves,lettuce,salad peppers,apples,grapes,apricots,shredded carrot and broccoli. Does he need water as every time I put it down he isnt interested and knocks it over!!Ive looked on tortoise sites and people say to feed them on wild plants like dandelions etc the problem is there are no dandelions here ( its desert here ! ) and the weeds here are not the ones like in England so I dont know if they are poisonous or not for him.I tried hibiscus flowers and honey suckle flowers he just turned his nose up at them.I need a good nutritious food for him to help him become healthy as I think he hasnt had a proprer diet for a very long time if ever. I asked my mum to bring some tortoise vitamin powder over with her but thats not until September.Good news is he is walking around now and he is using his legs now .We have made an open box for him with shredded paper for bedding he can walk in and out of it and it gives him shade in the day he has the freedom of a very large balcony .DO we need to put a sand tray in for him ?I cant put him in the garden as there is no grass down yet and there are wild cats here.Also we have a swimming pool can tortoises climb steps ??
So thats the story I need advice and help as I have no knowledge on tortoises at all thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Regular

Good on you for rescuing the poor guy. It sounds as though you have done wonders for him already. The foods that you have mentioned are fine, although I wouldn't overdo it with the lettuce as it has very little nutritional value. Any of the brassica family are good to feed as are tomatoes and nasturiums.

Tortoises will drink water if it gets very hot but most of their moisture is derived from the foods they eat. However, always keep a shallow bowl of water handy for him just in case.

Phil.
Old 28-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Ultra Citizen

Dont know much about them to be honest , however i would buy some calcium powder/limestone flour and nutrobol from ebay to dust its food with, especially as the food is scarce there
0.1.0 Lionhead
1.0.0 Syrian Hamster
0.2.0 Daughters
1.0.0 Son
click here for caresheets:-Turkistan Roaches , Bearded Dragon aftercare and mini-caresheet, Breeding Bearded Dragons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Haggag View Post
Can anyone help ? We live in Egypt and we have just rescued (about 2 weeks ago) a tortoise from a street vendor .He was in a pretty bad way his back legs werent working very well and he was so messed up and smelly .We put him in water and cleaned off all the gunge it took 6 lots of water !! We have been giving him corriander ,cantalope melon,cucumber,celery leaves,lettuce,salad peppers,apples,grapes,apricots,shredded carrot and broccoli. Does he need water as every time I put it down he isnt interested and knocks it over!!Ive looked on tortoise sites and people say to feed them on wild plants like dandelions etc the problem is there are no dandelions here ( its desert here ! ) and the weeds here are not the ones like in England so I dont know if they are poisonous or not for him.I tried hibiscus flowers and honey suckle flowers he just turned his nose up at them.I need a good nutritious food for him to help him become healthy as I think he hasnt had a proprer diet for a very long time if ever. I asked my mum to bring some tortoise vitamin powder over with her but thats not until September.Good news is he is walking around now and he is using his legs now .We have made an open box for him with shredded paper for bedding he can walk in and out of it and it gives him shade in the day he has the freedom of a very large balcony .DO we need to put a sand tray in for him ?I cant put him in the garden as there is no grass down yet and there are wild cats here.Also we have a swimming pool can tortoises climb steps ??
So thats the story I need advice and help as I have no knowledge on tortoises at all thank you

just to say .. swimming pool. you do know that tortoises cant swim a shallow bowl is required .

if the water is over his head he can drown ( die )

but well done for takeing him in.

bet he willl make a nice pet 4 u
Old 28-06-2009, 01:26 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to C4VEMAN-5AM

yeah dont put a tortoise in a swimming pool, they will sink.

but i guess you'll just have too take lots of lettuce, and cucumber, in a freezer box or something.
Old 30-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Regular

Try posting this in the shelled section aswell as experienced tortoise people in there should b able to give you good advice

Wish List:
Crested Gecko
Jungle Carpet Python