Doncaster show .. what did ya think ?? - Page 5 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 03-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Gold Star Member

September will always be better, Junes a bit early in the year and most people dont have a huge amount of hatchlings ready just yet. There are also more adults for sale at the end of the year when people have used them for breeding and then wish to sell excess adults on.

Wasn't too bad for a June show though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Regular

we went the intension of 'just having a look around' but ended up coming home with a mexican red knee and 4 mourning geckos (the wife thought they were cute) and loads of equipment in all honesty tho could have come home with so much more lol.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamperz View Post
Dont everyone bite my head off but I think it could have been better. Dont get me wrong, it was great to see such huge amounts of reps but i thought it was less of a show and more of a car boot for reps.
I do agree with this to some extent, it would be nice if there was more "show" as in "Crufts" as well as "Breeder's Meeting Sale". I personally believe having some sort of conformation show/etc even if it was just a "best pet" job and only open to table holders would make it less of a "jumble sale" and make it look more like the other hobbies' legitimate shows.

Quote:
I was hoping too see more fully grown adult specimins. The vast majority were babies to sell but if you dont know your reps you might not know how big things are gonna get.
There are several unfortunate problems with this.

1. Why, as a breeder, do I want to pack up a box full of an adult animal that I have absolutely no intent to sell just so I can show an adult specimen to people who should have done their research before buying?
2. Why, as a breeder, do I want to expose my adult animal to hundreds or thousands of other animals by air contact and by proxy touching when other people don't sanitise their hands between tables? At a minimum it means treating my animal as a new purchase and putting it into quarantine again.
3. This time of year, some of those adult breeding animals are still laying eggs or gravid; you really don't want to stress them out by putting 'em into a carry box and dragging them to a show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashnak View Post
i agree was a bit "car booty" me and mi mate were saying it was like going to a really big rep shop lol think it would be better with adult specimins and some rare aswell even if just for show and not sale
It *is* a really big reptile breeder's sale meeting - sort of like dozens of little reptile breeders selling the babies they've produced

I do wish we could have gotten a lift over; it's the first Donny show we've missed in three years. But for what we'd have been looking to buy (equipment and decor) public transport just wouldn't have cut it, and it's not as much fun when you KNOW you're not supposed to be buying any reptiles while you're there.

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant

Member 1603
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Super Regular

me and the misses went home with a 5ft male boa for £50 so my female isnt lonely and came home and got a male and female royal python and a 4ft viv for £70 not a bad bargin cant wait for the next show
Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Regular

aw wow i've never heard of these shows, i read on the threads that the next show is in sept, where will it be held ?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Regular

Me too, its in Doncaster but thats all I know.

Would appreciate a date and time cos would love to go as its local and maybe get my beardie for a 40th birthday pressie (only a coupla weeks early lol)
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamperz View Post
Dont everyone bite my head off but I think it could have been better. Dont get me wrong, it was great to see such huge amounts of reps but i thought it was less of a show and more of a car boot for reps.

I was hoping too see more fully grown adult specimins. The vast majority were babies to sell but if you dont know your reps you might not know how big things are gonna get.
Cant help thinking so many people would have come away with a cute baby and not realising how to look after them or appreciate how big they will get.

Still, very much in awe of the amount of reps. I think im just a bit bitter as im so skint and couldnt get anything.

:o)
I understand what Shamperz means - maybe 'show' is the wrong term for the Donny event. For me, I was happy with the 'Car Boot for Reptiles' format, as I went with a shopping list. As I've said elsewhere though, the list ended up as a screwed up ball in my pocket once I saw what was there and the little guy in my head was saying 'go on, it's only money.'

Anyway, I fell in love with Beardies at the 'Where Dragons Dwell' stand. So I bought one. Regrets? Nah, it's only money ain't it.
1.0.0 Yemen Chamelion : Bruno
0.1.0 Shrieking Cockatiel : Chip
Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Regular

Next one is sunday the 7th of september @ the dome ! can't wait !!
Old 08-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiness View Post
Next one is sunday the 7th of september @ the dome ! can't wait !!
6th september