Gold Dust Day Gecko Advice please... - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 29-06-2009, 02:24 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferdude09 View Post
OK dude this sounds stupid but what's a ballast for the bulb, is it the housing or wire!
I have found this bulb will it do for the spot bulb, and do need a housing or stand for this? does it go inside or outside the enclosure? Also the starter kit has no lights with it, do I need neon style or just normal, do the screw in or what!

Sorry for the questions
y'know light bulbs in your house... you screw them in to a ballast. That's what that bit's called. Get it?

The ballast is normally screwed to the top of the vivarium but with yur chosen housing you should be able to get one a hook in the top to hang the ballast from.

Yes that's a spot bulb and it's fine. This is a ballast for it: http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rept...bc--31339.html

as long as you only use the 40w bulb then you can use a mat thermostat http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rept...tat-26738.html

Last edited by Sid.lola; 29-06-2009 at 02:28 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-06-2009, 02:31 PM

Sweet, i have found this Thermostat its a Habistat Day / Night Dimming Thermostat 600w £65. Is that right and it states to get the Habistat Night-eye at £32, is this right or is that way to much to spend!
Old 29-06-2009, 02:37 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Sweet, i have found this Thermostat its a Habistat Day / Night Dimming Thermostat 600w £65. Is that right and it states to get the Habistat Night-eye at £32, is this right or is that way to much to spend!
You don't need it. You only need a mat stat. You can change it manually.

Also, http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/equip...28784-exo.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-06-2009, 04:40 PM
No Life Member

Don't phone me til after half six cos I'll be out walking Emma

Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Regular
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid.lola View Post
y'know light bulbs in your house... you screw them in to a ballast. That's what that bit's called. Get it?

The ballast is normally screwed to the top of the vivarium but with yur chosen housing you should be able to get one a hook in the top to hang the ballast from.
I know you're God and everything, but a ballast is the device that flourescent tubes need to work. The gadget a light fits to is a light-fitting...

0.0.1 Goldfish - Alex : 2.0.0 Border Collie - Yukio & ZiB: 1.0.0 Pomeranian - Orson
Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerboy View Post
I know you're God and everything, but a ballast is the device that flourescent tubes need to work. The gadget a light fits to is a light-fitting...

nu-uh - they're all called ballasts. But I know the bit what you mean and he hasn't to buy one of those cos I is posting one to him

Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Regular

Quote:
Hey guys I am just starting out with Geckos and for years I have wanted a Gold Dust Day Gecko for years and I am in a position in life where I can get one, I have done allot of research and have found some items that I think and know I need to buy but would like some advice to make sure these are right and i am not getting ripped off or overspend and find out I donít need some items.

First I have seen this and I really like it but is it any good for the Gecko I want to get a small Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit from swell reptiles

Would be great for a single specimen. If you want a couple, get the medium size.

I was also going to get some other bits that I think I need for it. Such as a fogger, as they look amazing and I think it would help me as I work odd hours and I am not always around for fogging to help get the humidity up. On the back of this I have read different care sheets and some say fog/mist 3 times a day and some say 7 times, and then others state that to much will cause health issues. So any good care info or some good care sheets would be cool

If you dont have it already, best thing to get would be a book-Day Geckos In Captivity by Leann and Greg Christenson

Next, bulbs and heating:
Well the Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit is a starter kit but does not include the bulbs and I am not sure what to get for the Gecko, as I know that it will need vitamin D3 but what bulb do I use? I am also thinking about this light controller for day and night time settings, is it any good and do I need it? Yes. With the starter kit I am buying! I have also seen a heat mat and I donít know if this is good or bad. Some sites say good and some say bad, any advice on heat mats would be cool..

UV Tube/lamp + ceramic heat bulb OR a combined UV/heat bulb-make sure to provide a a basking spot as well as normal temperatures in the viv. If the lamp doesn't warm the viv, you might want a heat mat/reptile radiator for background temps.

I plan on getting an incubation box for times when I need to do a full clean and just in case I get a female and she has eggs!

Also if anyone in the Newcastle area has a Gold Dust Day Female Gecko for sale I would like to know more please.

www.thelizardwizard.co.uk has some captive-bred babies for sale now.

Aloha and thanks
Good luck! Oh, and the 2nd Practical Reptile Keeping magazine has a good article on these...check it out!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauria View Post
Good luck! Oh, and the 2nd Practical Reptile Keeping magazine has a good article on these...check it out!
You rock, thanks for the advice..

Tags
gold dust day gecko , help needed