Gold Dust Day Gecko Advice please... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 29-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Default Gold Dust Day Gecko Advice please...

Hey guys I am just starting out with Geckos and for years I have wanted a Gold Dust Day Gecko for years and I am in a position in life where I can get one, I have done allot of research and have found some items that I think and know I need to buy but would like some advice to make sure these are right and i am not getting ripped off or overspend and find out I donít need some items.

First I have seen this and I really like it but is it any good for the Gecko I want to get a small Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit from swell reptiles

I was also going to get some other bits that I think I need for it. Such as a fogger, as they look amazing and I think it would help me as I work odd hours and I am not always around for fogging to help get the humidity up. On the back of this I have read different care sheets and some say fog/mist 3 times a day and some say 7 times, and then others state that to much will cause health issues. So any good care info or some good care sheets would be cool

Next, bulbs and heating:
Well the Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit is a starter kit but does not include the bulbs and I am not sure what to get for the Gecko, as I know that it will need vitamin D3 but what bulb do I use? I am also thinking about this light controller for day and night time settings, is it any good and do I need it? With the starter kit I am buying! I have also seen a heat mat and I donít know if this is good or bad. Some sites say good and some say bad, any advice on heat mats would be cool..

I plan on getting an incubation box for times when I need to do a full clean and just in case I get a female and she has eggs!

Also if anyone in the Newcastle area has a Gold Dust Day Female Gecko for sale I would like to know more please.

Aloha and thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-06-2009, 12:17 PM
No Life Member

Heat mats - don't heat the air only what they come into contact with. I tell't ya and I am God so no questioning me.

Old 29-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks dude, so ne heat mat then! just lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-06-2009, 01:30 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferdude09 View Post
Thanks dude, so ne heat mat then! just lights
No you still need heat. Thermostat and ceramic heat bulb was the conversation we had.

Also - please acknowledge the fact that I am God

Old 29-06-2009, 01:33 PM

Ok dude, you are god, well if you can give me a list of things i need then i will get on it and have scout around..

Mahola
Old 29-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Ultra Citizen

here is a basic list for most day gecko species;

Viv - for gold sust I would say a 30/30/45 exo terra
substrate - peat/moss/leaf litter/coco substrate or a mixture of them all - you only need a few cm of substrate
various plants fake or real but real ones help hold the humidity
branches/cork bark tubes/bamboo tubes (these are the best) both running vertical and horizintal
heating from spot light as they like to bask. You DO NOT need a heat mat aswell unless in winter to keep night time temps up. A 40w spot bulb in ballast should be fine in this size viv but ALL HEATING ELEMENTS MUST BE USED WITH A THERMOSTAT
misting bottle - mist often throughout the day to gain around 80% humidity
fogger is optional and must be used with great care

Viv can be naturalistic or very plain
some examples in google day gecko viv - Google Image Search
Old 29-06-2009, 02:00 PM
No Life Member

Ok I've never kept day geckos so the best I can do is:

HOUSING: - the enclosure you've found is the right size based on care sheets

HEATING: I've given you my opinion on heatmats so I'd recommend looking at a different heatsource.

Make sure you get a thermostat no matter what heat source you choose

LIGHTING: It looks like they need full spectrum UV bulb but I could be wrong.

HUMIDIDTY: I don't think you need a fogger - the humidity they require can be achieved by spraying a couple of times a day. Put a basic hygrometer in the tank and if humidity regularly drops below 50% and you can't spray it in time then get a fogger. But between the two of you I can't see your hours being that much of a problem.

Some day gecko expert will hopefully spot this thread at some point

Old 29-06-2009, 02:10 PM

Ok sweet, the starter kit Contents:
PT-2660 Habitat Kit Rainforest - Small:
Exo Terra Glass Terrarium - Compact Top - Hygromometer - Thermometer - Rock Background - Water Dish Small - Plantation Soil - Jungle Plant Croton - Jungle Plant Amapallo - Jungle Vine Medium - Jungle Fern Small - Instruction Manual

So that sounds good, just need to add a heat lamp and misting bottle..

Thanks guys
Old 29-06-2009, 02:13 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferdude09 View Post
Ok sweet, the starter kit Contents:
PT-2660 Habitat Kit Rainforest - Small:
Exo Terra Glass Terrarium - Compact Top - Hygromometer - Thermometer - Rock Background - Water Dish Small - Plantation Soil - Jungle Plant Croton - Jungle Plant Amapallo - Jungle Vine Medium - Jungle Fern Small - Instruction Manual

So that sounds good, just need to add a heat lamp and misting bottle..

Thanks guys
nope - you need to add:

1 - 40watt spot bulb
2 - ballast for the bulb
3 - THERMOSTAT

Old 29-06-2009, 02:22 PM

OK dude this sounds stupid but what's a ballast for the bulb, is it the housing or wire!
I have found this bulb will it do for the spot bulb, and do need a housing or stand for this? does it go inside or outside the enclosure? Also the starter kit has no lights with it, do I need neon style or just normal, do the screw in or what!

Sorry for the questions

Tags
gold dust day gecko , help needed