Advice needed please - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 30-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Hatchling
Smile Advice needed please

Ok, i may be getting a Royal Python (about 3ft long) and i have a 3'x18"x18" viv. is this viv suitable for a 3ft Royal?

Also i have a habitat matstat for a heat mat but it doesnt have any temperature indicators on it, just high and low and a dial , how do i know what setting to put it on any ideas? and what size heat mat would i need for a 3ft viv?

I'm going to be using a pulse thermostat and ceramic heat bulb to, so i have got that sorted ok.

Im sure one of you lovely people can help me , always feel a little cheeky asking for help and advice, i usually do things by trial and error til i get it right, but this is different cause i dont want to harm the python.

Tanya x
Advertisement

Old 30-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Ultra Citizen

The viv seems fine. Not sure you will need a heat mat in addition to a ceramic heater anyway. Its always best to measure the temps in the viv seperately with a thermometer as the stats are usually not that accurate, theyre so useful its a worthwhile investment
Old 30-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycat29 View Post
Ok, i may be getting a Royal Python (about 3ft long) and i have a 3'x18"x18" viv. is this viv suitable for a 3ft Royal?

Also i have a habitat matstat for a heat mat but it doesnt have any temperature indicators on it, just high and low and a dial , how do i know what setting to put it on any ideas? and what size heat mat would i need for a 3ft viv?

I'm going to be using a pulse thermostat and ceramic heat bulb to, so i have got that sorted ok.

Im sure one of you lovely people can help me , always feel a little cheeky asking for help and advice, i usually do things by trial and error til i get it right, but this is different cause i dont want to harm the python.

Tanya x
the set up is fine, you dont need a mat with a ceramic, just make sure the ceramic has a guard and a puls or dimmer stat, you can pick up digital thermometer's off ebay for less than a fiver, ceramics are great as long as you have plenty of ventalation as they can dry the air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 12:46 AM
Ultra Citizen

Just to echo the above advice really. Ceramic heating is by far the best way of heating a wooden viv (IMO OFC ). It allows you to heat the ambient air temperature and also provide less, but necessary, heat to the cool end. It overcomes many of the drawbacks of heatmats. I would ditch the mat completely and use the ceramic setup running on your pulse-proportional thermostat.

Many of the dials on thermostats are vague at best. The mest method for setting the temperature is to use the dial in conjunction with a digital thermometer inside the viv. Place the probe for the thermometer on the floor directly under the ceramic bulb. Wait for a while until the temperature stabilises, and then depending on the reading, nudge the thermostat dial "up a bit, down a bit" until the thermometer reads the desired temperature.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Hatchling

Thank you everybody for all your fabulous advice

Tanya xx